Immobiliser experts (MY03 WRX)

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2005, 09:14 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Immobiliser experts (MY03 WRX)

My 03 Wrx wouldn't start yesterday , it would turn over but not catch , and the red flashing key symbol on the dash just stayed lit (not flashing) .Got transported home by Subaru assistance last night and am waiting for them to return with a proper mechanic (rather than a breakdown driver today) . But in the meantime looked at the car this morning and the key symbol is now flashing and the thing started ! Have any of you guys had this problem ? any experts out there with a little help ?

thanks in advance

Dave
Old 19 August 2005, 11:10 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
My 03 Wrx wouldn't start yesterday , it would turn over but not catch , and the red flashing key symbol on the dash just stayed lit (not flashing) .Got transported home by Subaru assistance last night and am waiting for them to return with a proper mechanic (rather than a breakdown driver today) . But in the meantime looked at the car this morning and the key symbol is now flashing and the thing started ! Have any of you guys had this problem ? any experts out there with a little help ?

thanks in advance

Dave
The key symbol within the instrument cluster relates to the standard factory immobilisation circuits. These circuits are separate from the remote CDL/alarm system. The standrad factory immobilisation circuits are switched automaticaklly by a transponder chip located within the ignition key housing when the ignition key is in close proximity to the ignition barrel.

The alarm system adds a third immobilisation circuit to the vehicle and interupts the starter motor (so the vehicle as a whole now meets Category 1 requirements). In this instance, as the vehicle is unlocking, the alarm disarming from the radio key and then the engine can be cranked then the alarm system is operating correctly.

The standard factory immobilisation circuits act on the vehicle's engine management ECU. If there was a fault with the factory transponder immobiliser, then the engine would crank but not fire - as you have descibed.

I would suggest your problem lies with one of the following, in no particular order:
- The engine management system itself (incorporating the transponder immobiliser)
- The aerial for the transponder which is built arround te ignition barrel.
- The transponder chip within the ignition key (black rectangular component 5mm x 10mm near the key blade - not the circuit board as this is only operating the alarm and locking which appears ok)
- A poor connection between any of the above.

Hope that might help,
SS
Old 19 August 2005, 11:30 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Thanks Sam , very helpful and thank you for spending the time explaining ,On the back of what you say I've now booked the car into the Dealers to be looked at on Tuesday , as the Subaru Assist guy obviously couldn't sort it at my home . That is if the thing keep going long enough for me to be able to get it to the dealers on Tues

A greatful (but still cheesed off )

Dave