Notices

issues with and opinions of Clifford Alarms

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2005, 12:35 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issues with and opinions of Clifford Alarms

Have had a faultless 650 for a few months now, but yesterday the immobiliser decided to act independently of the rest of the alarm system and my car (non impreza) is now stranded.

Given the features of the alarm I was tempted to change the faultless sigma m30 on my impreza for one of these, mostly due to the proximity sensor and blackjax features, but am a little put off by the immobilisation issue.

The installer and supplier was very surprised as he said the new cliffer ranges are far more reliable than the old concept 50 and 50x models.

Am just wondering if anyone else has had issues or knowledge of problems with clifford alarms.

My gut says if the sigma on the impreza is fine, don't change it. But I have had problems with it not picking up the remote near mobile phone antennas. Plus living in london, I think the blackjax is really worthwhile.

any thoughts?
Old 11 July 2005, 04:15 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Well I've got a 600/650 (I think thats it anyway its a few years old now but cost about 800 to fit on the recepit)

It worked fine for about 2 months of owning the car. It then stopped beeping when being armed. It then stopped beeping when dissarming and does not beep at all now. The siren will go off and it seems to be protecting the car. The proximity senors work if a cat walks under the car but not if someone is stood next to it.

I can't get into the programme mode so cant adjust any setting and activate blackjaxx etc.

Its new trick is to completely ignore the remote fobs if I park too close to Tesco. Twice I've been stranded outside Tesco and its taken both fobs and about an hour to get it too open. If I park at the far end of the car park its fine but too close to the building itself and it won't work. I've replaced both fob batteries without excess.

I suspect the above may also have something to do with the new TETRA mast in the police station across the way from Tesco. Its started playing up since they switched it on (bit worrying becuase theres lots of rumours about TETRA and health and my daughters school is very close)

IMHO if cliffords are installed correctly they are fine, if they are bodged they are a waste of time - mine is complete ****!. I had a Toad Ai606 on my old GTIR and cost me £300. In 2 years it went off for no reason once but other than that it was perfect.

If it wasn't the fact that ripping out the clifford will probably cost twice the cost of the Toad I would replace it for a 606 tomorrow.

Last edited by EddScott; 11 July 2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12 July 2005, 04:16 PM
MotorGuard
BANNED

we have fitted loads of these (C650) alarms and many for members of scoobynet and have not experienced any such problems. In fact we have found the new G5 range to be very reliable.
Old 13 July 2005, 06:47 PM
155mph to slow
Scooby Regular

Clifford alarm systems are the best that money can buy everyone who's this hence they basically sell them selves. That leaves them open to cow-boy fitters fitting this for penies and doing a **** job. If you get them installed properly they are perfect.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:31 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I am very very confident in my fitter, he was trained by the best in security and audio and works for one of the top companies in the country.

As I said the alarm is faultless, but the immobiliser hardware seems to have gone wrong.

It is immobilising so it does its job, it just isn't de-immobilising!