Notices

Locked out of my car !! :(

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2005, 09:17 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out of my car !! :(

I just bought a MY99 classic over the weekend. Took it into town and tried to lock the doors. Took a couple of goes which I thought was strange, but it worked in the end.

When I came back to the car things became a lot worse. It took at least 50 attempts from different angles before I finally managed to get the doors open and the car started.

Yes I know I could have used the keys and then the keypad, if I had the code. I do not have the code at this point, so I'm hoping to sort that soon.

I've done some searching and heard that it is due to Tetra mobile phone masts causing some interference. I have also heard that there is an upgrade to the standard alarm to sort this out. So I just have a few questions.

How much will this cost me?
Does it really work?
How much is an aftermarket alarm that will work as a turbo timer?
Old 17 March 2005, 09:43 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

I have heard the same, but never experienced any problems....speak to a Subaru dealer..they will advise you....

I locked my keys in my car (fell foul of autolock) and had to break into it, it took me a few goes but in total I could get in in around 10 seconds using two very simple everyday household goods
Old 17 March 2005, 10:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Nice to know that they are so easy to break into
Old 18 March 2005, 11:44 AM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

i have had the alrm upgarde fitted to my MY01 WRX. It does work and costs about £80 for the part, but i got it fitted under warrenty, beware its quite a long job..... so if your paying could get expensive.
Yours
Peter
Old 18 March 2005, 03:15 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by Luminous
I just bought a MY99 classic over the weekend. Took it into town and tried to lock the doors. Took a couple of goes which I thought was strange, but it worked in the end.

When I came back to the car things became a lot worse. It took at least 50 attempts from different angles before I finally managed to get the doors open and the car started.

Yes I know I could have used the keys and then the keypad, if I had the code. I do not have the code at this point, so I'm hoping to sort that soon.

I've done some searching and heard that it is due to Tetra mobile phone masts causing some interference. I have also heard that there is an upgrade to the standard alarm to sort this out. So I just have a few questions.

How much will this cost me?
Does it really work?
How much is an aftermarket alarm that will work as a turbo timer?
A post 2001 alarm ECU (or a new one - part number SACC3465) will cure the problem. Best to enquire at your local dealer for cost as the labour cost may vary, but fitting should take no more than 1 hour.

In the meantime you can re-program your system's PIN yourself,to one of your own choosing, at anytime - provided that you can disarm the system with a Radio Key. This is explained in the Operating Instructions for the security system. A copy can be found at:
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subarutalk/viewtopic.php?t=2476

Just to recap on the problem and avoidance.....

Radio Lock Out
- All alarm systems manufactured for use in the
UK in ’99 were required to operate on the frequency of 433MHz. Subsequently, in late 2000, the government allowed the introduction of the “Tetra” radio network for telecommunications companies, the military, police, fire and ambulance services etc, which was allocated the 420-430MHz bandwidths.
Although not exactly the same frequency, these “Tetra” transmitters are licensed and so are allowed to operate at around 20,000 watts, compared with the alarm systems 0.5 watt radio key (necessary so that your radio keys remain exempt from annual licensing!)
As a result, when you are near a transmitting “Tetra” mast you can get a degree of “bleed over” as their signal is so much stronger and this can swamp the transmission from the radio key. This problem is not exclusive to this system and can occur on any number of manufacturers systems produced prior to 2001.
The receiver boards were redesigned to focus more accurately on the 433.92HHz frequency as soon as this problem became evident, however, systems manufactured before 2001, with the older receiver boards, are not faulty and were NOT considered eligible for warranty, although as a goodwill measure, customers who suffered from “exceptional” radio lock-out (ie lived or worked below a mast) were offered an upgraded receiver board if the vehicle was still within the warranty period.

This goodwill period was extended for a further 12 months after the 3 year warranty period expired, but ended in December 2004. The later ECUs are still available from Subaru (part number SACC 3465) but these are now chargeable.

Avoidance.
There are a few points that should be remembered:
- All vehicles that passed through the import centre from January 2001 are equipped with the latest receiver boards that are "Tetra Resistant" and so should not experience this problem.

- A keypad is fitted to ALL models with the UK standard fit alarm system (from 99 MY) as an emergency override, in the event of loss, damage, flat radio key battery etc. (The keypad also allows the driver to access a number of features and is a complete programming tool for the dealers) and so pushing/recovery of vehicle’s should not be necessary provided you know your override PIN and ow to operate the keypad.

- The keypad can NOT be affected by "Radio Lock-Out", as it is hard wired into the system and does not rely on a radio transmission.

- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a secuity feature to prevent random attempts at steeling the vehicle, however, it is also an inconvenience if you are suffering "Radio Lock Out" and enter your PIN incorrectly.

- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.
If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be aborted and started again after 30 seconds.
Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.

My advice is to read the alarm system's instruction manual, practice entering the PIN before you need it and, if you bought the car second hand, ensure you know the correct PIN as this could have been changed by the previous owner and can be changed to one of your own choosing, following the instructions in the alarm booklet.
Ensure your keypad is operational before you need it on a dark night!

I hope this has cleared up a number of points that have been raised and will help to keep everyone mobile.

SS
Old 18 March 2005, 04:39 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Thanks, that was very helpful. I shall be in touch with a couple of nearby dealers to hear what they have to say.