Notices

How long is a Clifford Data Port lead ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2001, 05:39 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone tell me how long the lead is that is supplied with the Clifford Data Port. Is it only long enough for a laptop, or can you extend it and run it into your house and connect it to the PC ?

Cheers

Nathan
Old 07 September 2001, 05:48 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Depends whether you can fit the car through the patio doors

The lead is about 8 ft (from memory) though you should be able to get a serial extension that will go to 30ft without boosting the signal (depends on your PC though).
Old 07 September 2001, 06:09 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Kryten

Now thats what I call a fast reply

If I could fit the car through the patio doors I would. The missus would complain but who gives a damn

Thanks

Nathan
Old 09 September 2001, 03:37 AM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, but is this the lead for the cliffnet wizard? If so, what type of connections are used on the lead? What type of cable? With this in mind , can you make it yourself rather than pay the circa 50 pounds I was quoted from the bloodsucking dealer?

thanks
Old 17 September 2001, 03:16 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

Firstly you will need the necessary CliffnetWizard serial cable which plugs into the serial port on your PC. This has a small box of electronics about 15cm along from the plug, then there's a couple of metres of 3-core cable from there to the little plug which plugs into the alarm ECU. This three-core cable may be extended using any sort of cable by cutting and soldering upto 15-20 metres into it without any data transfer problems.

Max
Old 23 September 2001, 10:45 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Max the Clifford dealer:
<B>Firstly you will need the necessary CliffnetWizard serial cable which plugs into the serial port on your PC. This has a small box of electronics about 15cm along from the plug.
Max[/quote]

Can these be bought without having a dealer fitting them, as I don't trust them to do it right, as I want to just plug it in/out and not drill more holes in the car.
Old 24 September 2001, 05:21 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Yes you can, cos I bought one last month. I also made an extension lead up at work and can now set up my alarm from my home pc in the dining room Still have to pay a scandalous amount though, but it is easier than trying to set things up using the "beeps" My BlackJax code is now a bit more user friendly than the factory one.
Old 24 September 2001, 05:54 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Charlie H:
<B>Yes you can, cos I bought one last month.[/quote]

Got any details you could pass on ?
Old 26 September 2001, 04:49 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

It is possible to "install" the Wizard data port in your car yourself if you wish. It simply means having to access the alarm ECU and plugging the port into the little three pin socket on one corner of the alarm (which will already have a kind of little pass-through connectore on it for the data link to the siren)and then mounting the socket somewhere easy to access. That's it, no electrical experience necessary. Just depends on what sort of a job your installer made of mounting the alarm ECU as to how long it will take you.
Old 26 September 2001, 11:28 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Max the Clifford dealer:
<B> Just depends on what sort of a job your installer made of mounting the alarm ECU as to how long it will take you. [/quote]

My ECu is cable tied to the steering Column just above the brake pedals, so access is no problem.

Where can I buy one ? and how much ?

My dealer says I can only buy them fitted.