Notices

Full closure on a Sigma M30 (MY99)

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2001, 07:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Has anyone enabled the full closure feature on a Sigma M30.

Oh, and please don't point me to the toad web site; I've already had a look and it doesn't tell me anything.

Cheers,
Stefan
Old 21 May 2001, 01:17 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try any Sigma dealer, they can sort you out. Mine was fitted by "In Car Electrics" of St.Albans (01727 844464), £140.
Old 21 May 2001, 01:54 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Whats Full Closure?
Old 21 May 2001, 02:07 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Jake,

It's when the alarm automatically closes your windows and sunroof.

I had it on my old Golf. I could have all the windows down and the sunroof wide open, but I just had to press the alarm button for all the doors to lock and the windows and sunroof to fully close.

It's a real time saver, especially in the summer. It's one of the one thing I miss from my old car and a real pain with the Scooby. Just as well the cars great in every other way to make up for it

Stefan
Old 22 May 2001, 07:19 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

When I got the scoob I spoke to the guy that fitted the alarm, it is possible to get a system that activates the windows(clifford i think) that is compatible with the sigma. Maybe max in the thread just below cam help.

Andy
Old 22 May 2001, 07:29 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Andy,

According to Simga's website the M30 has full closure, but only if your car is fitted with the correct equipment???

You'd have thought if it comes with the alarm, Subaru would have supplied the extra hardware as Sigma imply it's down to each manufacturer.

Guess I should ask Max then.

Stefan
Old 23 May 2001, 11:12 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Talking

About to get it fitted by toad\sexton.

Toad import the sigmas and can supply and fit the closure kit. I am paying £65 each for front and rear £130 all in including fitting.

Can give the direct name and number of the person who sorted for me if you want !

I was quoted £240 by car electronics but I don't know whether they were using original parts.

Toad say to active the windows I will need to hold the alarm button when locking and this will remove the panic facility !
Old 23 May 2001, 11:19 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dave,

Yes please. It's becoming a real pain with this great weather we're having.

Stefan
Old 24 May 2001, 03:32 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Be aware that this modification will remove the Thatcham Category 1 status of the alarm. It's just a technicality and won't make the car easier to steal - just a warning if you are bothered about that sort of thing.
Old 24 May 2001, 07:27 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Boost,

Is that just a issue on this make/model of alarm? My old Golf GTI had a cobra Cat1 alarm and it had full closure.

Stefan
Old 25 May 2001, 01:48 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Dave.

Can't see why the closure would lose the alarms Cat1 status

I'm sure Toad will tell me tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

Stefan
Old 25 May 2001, 12:24 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ozzy, Try shaun at toad on 0208 7107777. Not sure on the quality of service yet. About to be fitted on tuesday !

Boost,

Why do you think it remove Cat 1 status. It is just using the external feeds already available and the M30 lists total closure as an option ?

Dave.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:33 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Stefan,

I have not had the closure fitted and the price went up. Email me off thread if you want more info.

Dave.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:40 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dave, you have mail.

Stefan
Old 31 May 2001, 09:46 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Having read this thread, i had a go - locks he doors after a while. Cool i thought.

Then i get a call this morning from the old dear. "The cars locked me out"!!!!

She jumped out to close the garage doors with the engine running and its locked her out!!

Cheers fellas!!!!

1 hour round trip and 1 hour of petrol wasted to open the house and get spare keys!!!!!

Jza

Old 02 June 2001, 11:19 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Ooops, I forgot to come back to this one.

The Cat 1 thing is just simply that when Thatcham test these things at their centre, they award a particular rating very specifically to a particular system. If you add on or remove anything from that system so its not identical to the one they tested it invalidates the rating. If a different manufacturer includes total closure as standard and Thatcham test it with this, then not a problem.

In the real world I guess this is only of real concern in terms of insurance but to a certain extent, what they don't know can't hurt them
Old 11 June 2001, 11:50 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi guys,

I've had feedback from Sigma regarding the full closure on our Imprezas.

Sorry for the delay, but I'd asked for Sigma to authorise any comments posted on this BBS. Here is the official statement from Sigma:-

"On pre '99 model year vehicles and imports (ie vehicles fitted with an aftermarket Sigma M30) the window closer unit should be purchased from and fitted by the original installing dealer. It would then be possible to lift the front windows on arming the Sigma M30 alarm system, by continuing to hold the remote button depressed until the windows are fully closed. Due to safety reasons it is not possible to have a single touch facility.

It should be noted that with this accessory output selected, you will lose the "panic facility" on your alarm system.

To enable this feature you will need to purchase a window closure unit, and have the dealer connect this to the window switches in the driver's door. The alarm system will then have to be re-programmed by the dealer to give a negative output on "accessory wire 2" (the green/red wire in the loom by the alarm ECU) on "hold down".

If however, the vehicle was originally UK supplied with a standard Subaru (UK) fitted Sigma M30 (ie a '99 model year onward), then Sigma and Subaru (UK)do not recommend the fitment, as such modifications to the alarm system, which forms an integral part of the vehicle, by non Subaru trained staff using a part that has not been tested or approved by Subaru (UK) could have warranty implications."

I'd like to thank Ian Packer of Sigma OE Technical who has been kind enough to spend the time investigating the questions raised in this topic. Thanks Ian.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Stefan
Old 13 June 2001, 04:28 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Just scan read the above. My understanding is as follows:
Total Closure is a feature of the car. The electronics are wired such that a single input will close all apetures (often triggered from the deadlock).
The Scooby doesn't have this feature, so even with an alarm that supports "total closure" you will not get it out of the box. You will need additional motors / triggers / relays to get everything shut. This equates to more cost and complexity.
Old 15 June 2001, 07:30 AM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

My GOD!!!!! wot is all the fuss about, it took and afternoon an bundle of cash to get mine sorted.

Pull ya finger out and take it to any Sigma dealer!!
Old 15 June 2001, 11:42 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

There's not any fuss other than my insurer not wanting to honour my policy or Subaru (UK) not wanting to honour my warranty. Nothing much really

If the Dealer OK's it and my insurer is happy, then I'll be happy. Dave mentioned to me that his windows can stutter and they don't always go up at the same time! Have you had any problems Matt?

Anyway, it was all Boost II's fault. I was quite happy until he started

Stefan
Old 16 June 2001, 10:24 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

It a fantastic extra!!

When I bought the car (from new, MY00) I asked the Subaru Dealer to fit it for me. They told me to take it to a Sigma dealer, not a mention of warranty!! In fact I have had the Sigma alarm brain replaced since as I was having a few (unrelated problems). As for the insurance, I would be interested to know how they react as the car is ssentially 'modified'. Where do you draw the line?? I have the boot tray should I declare that also??

I've never had the windows stutter, I would assume that an output from the alarm is simply controlling the window motors. Stuttering would indicaate low battery V??

Get it done mate, you wont regret it!!