Notices

Cat 1 alarms - Any recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2001, 11:02 AM
berrick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any recommendations on Cat 1 alarms and also installers in Reading area would be appreciated?

Berrick
Old 11 May 2001, 01:26 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Berrick,

Have a look at this thread and contact Craigamungo, he fits CAT 1 alarms for a living

Old 13 May 2001, 11:51 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Careful Berrick,

I contacted Craig for an alarm and expected him to come and fit it. Little did I know that he'd sub'ied the job out to some bloke called Matt from Birmingham who runs his own company called VIN. Matt came down and installed quite possibly the worst Alarms in the world to mine and my mother in laws car (needless to say I don't hear the last of it) The ALARMS ARE **** mate! My mother in law basically has to stand next to her car for the alarm to disarm, and thats only one of the problems. Matt/VIN have been about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Lesson learned from this? Don't try and save a few quid by having some mobile cowboy come and install your alarm. More trouble than it's worth. Take it to a reputable dealer..... At least you can take the car back to them if it goes wrong!

Karlos
Old 14 May 2001, 09:39 AM
craigamungos
Scooby Regular

Angry

Right i'm getting abit pissed off with you karlos, Why don't you tell the hole story like the fact you have never contacted me about your problems. I'm having aword with our solisitors about what you have been saying to see where we stand. I WILL REPEAT JUST FOR YOU! Mat (VIN) did do a couple of jobs for me and yes he was cr4p. he took me for £12000. I have place a couple of threads (which you haven't read, half a job again) explaining what happened and that i don't sub contract out any more. I have alot of happy customers and if you place a thread asking them i'm sure they will reply. Also if you have any problems you NEED TO CALL ME as i'm not a mind reader and they get sorted.
So i'll let you make your own mind up, my alarms are only cheap because i give discount to scoobynet members which is what they all want. all alarms come with a lifetime garentee so you really have no need to worry. Karlos be carefull what you say i am saving your threads to see where i stand as you have never contacted me.
Old 14 May 2001, 11:55 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Craig,

I never contacted YOU for the simple reason that you did not do the work... Are you seriously telling me that I should have called you, and you would have travelled down from Nottingham to fix the problems, even though you hadn't seen any money? I would imagine you would have simply contacted Matt at VIN once more and asked him to contact me...

As for these various posts you proclaim to have made on the BBS. This is, and the other post in which I have made a similiar entry are the first two posts I've seen your name in for a long time.

As for keeping thread entries to bolster a liable case, well go ahead. I am only voicing my opinion as a consumer. As a Supplier you should be prepared for criticism, and after all, it's not as though I have said anything that isn't true. If you read my post I in no way say that the work YOU do is in anyway second rate, but that your Sub contractor was at fault. I really don't expect to get into petty squabbles with suppliers simply because I'm not happy with their service!

Also, you mention that other's on the BBS recommend your work. You should recall that it was based on these recommendations that I contacted you.

I tell you what Craig, why don't you prove how good your service is. Give me a quote on supplying and fitting a clifford Concept 300 next month, and while your down here you can look at my mother in law's car. Please try and restore my faith in you, rather than trying to shut me up by threatening legal action! You need to work on customer relations mate.! :-)

Karlos
Old 14 May 2001, 03:50 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Angry

Karlos,

Please obtain a dictionary post haste and look under "e" for etiquette.You are somewhat lacking at the moment and I can heartily agree with Craig comments. You DO NOT go slagging people off without proof and certainly not when you unaware of the facts.

I have also never met him or used him but, after all the recommendations from people on the BBS, he would be my first port of call when I get a new car.

His threads posted a while ago FULLY explained the situation. Some sympathy towards him would not go a miss. I am sure Craig will remedy the situation if Craig is at fault.

Mossman
Old 14 May 2001, 04:09 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mossman,

It is not me who needs the dictionary. It seems you need english lessons to teach you how to read properly.

You quite clearly didn't read my last post. I, like most others, do not visit this bulletin board day in day out week upon week. If Craig has posted explaining the VIN situation, then I take this opportunity to apologise now, although I have not seen it. The fact of the matter is, my original post was aimed at VIN and not Craig, and I quote:-

"Little did I know that he'd sub'ied the job out to some bloke called Matt from Birmingham who runs his own company called VIN. Matt came down and installed quite possibly the worst Alarms in the world to mine and my mother in laws car (needless to say I don't hear the last of it) The ALARMS ARE **** mate!"

all be it I was alittle dissapointed that VIN turned up at my door without prior notice from Craig.
Due to bad experiences I have now had with mobile installers I would not recommend them to anyone else. This was the nature of my post. If you noticed at the bottom of my thread I have given Craig ample opportunity to contact me regarding restoring my faith in mobile installers.

If you had been ripped off by VIN to the tune of £500 would you not voice your opinion so that others did not get stung the same way? As for etiquette, I refer you to Craig's explosive post in which he threatened me with legal action. Hardly customer service is it, and this is the crux of the problem. Customer service. Maybe Craig should have been a little more pro-active and contacted those customers who he had sub'd to VIN? Please read all of my post before you cast criticism.

Thanks,

Karlos
Old 14 May 2001, 04:32 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Karlos,

Why did I bother posting!!??

My English is fine thankyou very much, and I have a fine vocabulary. This includes words such as off, ****, tw@t and you! Not the words to be used here I hasten to add

I truly hope you get things sorted out but hasty posts can often cause offence. There have been at least two posts on Craig's unfortunate sitaution and the overwhelming support was very clear.

Regards,

Mossman
Old 14 May 2001, 04:34 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool

PS. Yes , I have had a bitch of a day
Old 14 May 2001, 04:42 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mossman said:

"but hasty posts can often cause offence.."

Hmmm... "those in glass houses" or "pot calling the kettle black" springs to mind....

Karlos :-)
PS - How do you do those damn graphics!

[This message has been edited by Karlos (edited 14 May 2001).]
Old 14 May 2001, 04:46 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have no glass left, all shattered!!!
Old 14 May 2001, 09:50 PM
cpofwales
Scooby Regular

As an alarm installer myself, I found the toad alarms (Ai600,Ai606)to be best. the dont have all the bells of the clifford, but rarely seem to f*ck up, and a fair bit cheaper as well.

cpofwales

Old 16 May 2001, 11:04 AM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

Now, Now, people, this is supposed to be a friendly place of help and advice, so if you must make a criticism make it polite and that won't start a slagging match off. We all should share our experiences (good or bad)with others but a simple "I wouldn't recommend them because I had this bad experience with them" so as long as its fact, they can't argue with you.

Anyway, to my point of posting, if you live in the Essex area, Give "Perfect Alarms" a call on 07973 220190. They are a mobile outfit who have fitted all mine and my families car alarms for years now and I have never had a single problem with them. They have also been able to sort out other crap alarms that have come with the vehicles and have even fixed a faulty keyfob at 11pm at night. One thing I liked personally is that the installer used loom tape to make the alarm wiring look factory so the thieving gits won't know what to cut if they can get in.

And no I have nothing to do with this company, just thought I would pass this info on.

Trev.
Old 16 May 2001, 02:34 PM
craigamungos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mossman thankyou very much for your support put a big smile on my face )
Karlos you will shortly have mail regarding your quote and if you do have the job done then i will look forward to your post saying how good i am. Just a quick mention though if anyone else has been robbed by VIN then let me know as trding standards are looking for him and want as much info as pos.
Many thanks craig.
Old 16 May 2001, 02:54 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Craig,

Thanks for the email and the more than competitive quotation. I look forward to meeting you at the end of the month... (might have to make sure I have a couple of big mates round for protection though...)

Karlos
Old 18 May 2001, 01:52 PM
craigamungos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Karlos no need for mates just make sure you know how to make tea. Then after i have fitted your alarm you can put a post on hear telling everyone how good i really am.
Cheers mate see you soon (glad we got things sorted)
Old 21 May 2001, 04:45 PM
berrick
Scooby Regular

Question

I was worried that as a Scoobynet newbie I had inadvertently started some kind of war!!

Glad Craig and Karlos got things sorted. Seems like the issue was same as always - communication!!!

I have phoned round a bit and have been heavily sold the Autowatch 160Rli and Clifford Concept 300. ITM selling the 160RLi reckon that they will replace if it gets de-listed and also pick-up any insurance excess no claims loss increase - but won't/can't be bothered to send a copy of the guarantee terms they are offering.

Anyone got a view on either product or the ITM guarantee?

Much appreciated
Old 22 May 2001, 08:26 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd say if they can't be bothered to send it, look elsewhere.

Find someone that you trust to do the work, and don't go for the cheapest price. This is what may keep your car belonging to you, after all!

Nick.
Old 25 May 2001, 10:28 AM
berrick
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nick

Thanks sound advice. Found a Clifford dealer based locally paying £350 for Concept 300 and £35 to remove the old non-Thatcham alarm.

Not sure its the cheapest but some piece of mind of dealing with someone good & local!

Cheers

Keith
Old 27 May 2001, 11:19 PM
craigamungos
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hi mate, autowatch don't offer this garentee so be carefull, Also i can better that price if your interested? E-Mail me and let me know.