Why Won't They Test My Tracker ?

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2001, 01:12 AM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Anyone come across this.

I had a Tracker fitted to my car from new two years ago. I paid my £400+ and for the past two years have paid my £110. About to pay the next one now.....

I read a thread a week or so ago about someone who rang Tracker and asked them to test the system. On testing, the system was faulty and an engineer came and fixed it.

Sounds a smart move I thought. Today as I was away from home I rang Tracker to ask if they could test my system.

Explained situation to lady.

Me: "Please can we test my tracker?".
Tracker: "We can't do that."
Me: "Had system 2 years, don't know whether it is fully operational, please can we test".

Tracker: "If you're worried about system we can send an engineer to check it out, but will charge you £50".

Me: "Excuse me........??"
Tracker: "We'll charge you £50".
Me: "I only want you to locate me car now".
Tracker: "We can't do that".

(Big explanation about £400 for this, and £100 each year.. blah blah).

Tracker: "Hold on please".

Basically after waiting for 5-10 mins, she came back to say my unit is always talking to the base, so if something was wrong, I would be receiving calls saying "Are you moving your car ?"

Is this true ??? or is it a fob off ???

I thought the unit only activated when car was moved 10m without keys in ignition.

Why won't they test the unit.... ?

Anyone else had dealings with Tracker ? Had the unit tested over the phone ?

Just want to make sure I'm not paying all this money for something that may not be working...

Help...

Scott.
Old 02 March 2001, 01:43 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sonic,
You will find it was trackstar which was tested by remote, all these systems should be serviced along with your alarm and immobiliser every year, they should then tell you if there are any problems and sort them out for you (hopefully!)

Tony
Old 03 March 2001, 07:04 PM
fangio
Scooby Newbie

If it has a battery back-up that battery needs checking every couple of years.

For a remote test - Try This
When its quiet and no danger from traffic etc, Park your car at the top of a hill. With you inside it lock your car. After Tracker has set etc release handbrake and let car coast along the road ( without keys in Ignition) for 50 + metres. See if they phone you to say it has moved ! If not take it to a Tracker dealer and get it checked out.
Alternatively just take it for a check anyway !
I still think it's strange how they won't remotely check it for you yet TrakBak and TrackStar will !
Old 04 March 2001, 03:10 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I tried what you suggested, i.e. moving the car but after speaking to Tracker they informed me that the car has got to move for a mile or so before it activates...

ta,
Matt
Old 05 March 2001, 09:54 AM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the info guys.

Might try the moveing it down a hil option.

I would be a bit disappointed about the "1 mile" theory. It was sold to me on the basis that it activates after about 20m or so...

I'll let you know the results.

Cheers

Scott.
Old 17 April 2001, 12:55 AM
steveyc
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Have a look at Navtrak - this service is based on location via the GPS satellite network. 'Locate on demand' can be requested from NavTraks control centre and the system is transferable if you change your car.

The only charges for the system is an installation charge and a monthly sub. either 9.99 or 14.99 depending on whether you want standard or proactive system.

There are also additional services available apart from the security feature - check out the website
Old 17 April 2001, 01:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Sonic

The reason they can't remotely test your unit is that the system has to be near a locating unit for it to be tested.

Whereas with Trackstar & Navtrak you can essentially ring it up & ask it where it is!

Simple

A company I'm associated with has just become a dealer for Navtrak - watch out for special scoob deal (£100+VAT Install) & banner ad

Old 19 April 2001, 04:01 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!:
<B>Sonic

A company I'm associated with has just become a dealer for Navtrak - watch out for special scoob deal (£100+VAT Install) & banner ad

[/quote]

Can you post the details about this deal - ill have one tommorrow!!!

Jza