Notices

Is the Sigma M30 Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2001, 08:07 AM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,
A bit of help please, I'm picking up a '99 Sport next week, whilst obviously not as stealable as a Turbo I still don't want no ******* getting their mits on it.
Having looked around for an alarm I've come up with two, the Sigma M30 or the Clifford 500, the Clifford appears to have more features but at the end of the day will it do any better a job than the Sigma and also which is the most reliable/problem free?

I've also been recommended two dealers in Leeds for installation, are they any good and who should get my money?

Elsec - for the Sigma
Maximum Impact - for the Clifford

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 15 March 2001, 04:29 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

While I am no electronic/alarm system expert both pieces of kit (the sigma and clifford) are good; but the key is getting it installed well. I know Maxiumum Impact is held in very high regard by those who have used him. I considered using him, but he was expensive (compared with who I used) and a very long way away. I cannot comment on Elsec as I have never heard of them.
Old 15 March 2001, 08:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Steve,
Try a friend of mine, hes been doing alarm systems for 10+ years, you may be a touch out of the area but if your within 30miles of manchester you should be ok, he use to have a scoob so hes a sorted bloke, give him a ring and see what he can offer you, he should also be able to tell you what the best alarm/immobiliser is for your type of car, his number is 0411079779 and hes called Tim (also does ice!)

Regards
Tony
Old 15 March 2001, 08:04 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Again I am no alarm Genius but the M30 has one weakness it has no Tilt sensor.

A scum bag could tow it onto a low loader or jack it up to steal your alloys, this is easily sorted by adding a clifford tilt sensor (again installation is important) costs about one hundred quid.

This was the first thing I had sorted when I got the car.

Give some thought to a good physical barrier/ deterent like a disclock or autolock 2000.

As I live in Ireland I have no Idea about who should fit it for you.

Andy
Old 15 March 2001, 09:00 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

My humble opinions....

Both alarms will be good and secure. Clifford has more features but there is more to go wrong and can be hard to diagnose faults. If some one is winching your car on to the back of a truck I doubt they'd be scared off by tilt sensor triggering the alarm for a few seconds. Still, Clifford is the enthusiasts choice and great if well installed. The Sigma doesn't have as many bells and whistles but there are a few practical touches - key fobs are cheap to replace if pinched/lost, you get a keypad to enter a pin if there is a problem with the key fob and you can programme a few features yourself through the keypad. Reliable but if there's a problem, once an engineer plugs in his computer it will tell him exactly whats wrong.

Any alarm is only as good as the guy that installed it - get a VSIB approved installer. This may be a little more expensive but your insurance company may require it and you should be fairly certain of getting a good job done anyway.

If possible find someone that is familiar with the Impreza. Even if they are very reputable but have not done a Scoob before they may not work out the neatest way of sorting things first time.

I don't personally know anything about the installers you mentioned, but I have only heard great things about Maximum Impact and they have certainly staisfied many owners of imported Impreza turbos (no alarm as std!)

I found that whilst many installers would not budge on their first quote when challenged, I soon got people ringing me back asking when they could book me in and offering decent discounts - so it is worth trying it on with the price.

Hopefully a little bit of help.

Old 18 March 2001, 10:12 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for the replies.

Having taken on board what you all have to say ie the alarm is only as good/reliable as the person who fitted it and after a good trawl through the security bb I've decided to go for the Clifford at Maximum Impact as his work certainly seems to be held in high regard.

(Tony thanks for the no. of your mate but I'm a bit out of the area, cheers anyway).

Steve
Old 20 March 2001, 06:31 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

dont know if you have gone for it already, but ring pervaiz at audio images in bradford.

They sell both makes you mention.

I have had two sigmas fitted by these guys and have never had a false alarm.

They can fit tilt senosrs to either.

I would only consider the 500 for the dual zone prox, apart from that sigma is soooo much cheaper.

Your choice.

01274 733 633