Notices

eGuard vs Trackstar

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2001, 01:58 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got any views on the two main GPS tracking systems? I'm looking at the eGuard Executive and the Trackstar Guardian. Does the eGuard have a remote blip (like the Trackstar Guardian) to activate it, or is it automatic in some way? I'm looking for something that will not be useless if someone steals your keys.

Also, what about costs? Trackstar Guardian seems to cost £555 plus £11 per month, vs. £439 + £14.50 per month for eGuard. Does anyone know of people who'll discount this?
Old 06 March 2001, 11:21 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

GEJL

Ok here goes...I would suggest look into the manufacturer (eGuard) before spending ya hard earned cash. How well are they doing?….. I have heard that eGuard have recently made a number of employees redundant!...does this sound like a company that is growing?…..mmmmmm. RAC on the other hand have been round for years and have a large operation.

Also, after speaking to local dealer that installs both eGuard and Rac-Trackstar, I have been advised that the RAC module is better design and overall has been put together far better than the eGuard.

Question “Are you a member of RAC”??? If so, your entitled to a discount, yeah you know that already...right!, but did you know that they are offering special Discount for a period of time to members. This puts the cost of Trackstar Guardian down to £499 (inc Battery Back-up) ……..BOOK ME IN!!!!

Not bad price....call RAC on 0808 100 9991 and quote: 5+T/S. Advert of discount in Winter 2001 RAC Magazine.

Good Luck
Old 06 March 2001, 04:01 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. I called the RAC and the discount is only for members of more than 5 years standing. I've currently only been a member for 3 years in a row, due to an overseas assignment a few years back. So I don't know if I'll be able to get it. Probably depends how persuasive I can be.

They now allow the transfer of the kit from one car to another for the cost of an install only, as well, which was one previous argument in favour of eGuard.

I do agree with your comments on the reputation/name/size of the company providing the kit, too... Plus RAC is cheaper per month - the extra £60 to install would be paid back within a couple of years. (£11 pcm vs. £14.50).

Time to start negotiating, I think.
Old 06 March 2001, 06:57 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

E-guard is very good , however I would personally recommend Navtrak , 250 quid installation and 9.99 each month.

As for Trackstar well the reviews haven't been too hot.

Stick to Navtrak , they will install it at your home address , have some great services to offer and are very friendly and best of all their technology works as I've tested it a few times already.

Maddy

btw I don't work for Navtrak but here is there URL :-
Old 07 March 2001, 05:19 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Sounds almost too good to be true, but there are some pretty heavyweight dealerships involved... They say installation is a seperate cost, but going on what Trackstar say is the installation cost component of their package (i.e. around £120), that's not likely to be excessive.

So it seems to be around £120 upfront for installation, plus £15pcm for the 'proactive' monitoring. And you can move the kit from one car to the next for (more or less) the installation cost again.

Time to see what the insurance company says to this. ..

Old 09 March 2001, 04:11 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

FYI, there's a good review of tracking systems (GPS-based ones) at