Notices

Superlock Immobiliser Function: An extra deterrent?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2004, 01:48 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superlock Immobiliser Function: An extra deterrent?

I have an MY01WRX but the standard immobiliser/alarm probably is standard to a lot of earlier/later models.

There is apparently an extra function you can enable when leaving the vehicle, whereby you press 9 on the alarm keyboard, then your four digit security code before shutting the doors and locking the car with the key fob button. Having done this, in the event that someone runs off with your car keys, they will not be able to start the car until they have input the four digit code. In fact, when the key fob is pressed, the alarm starts off immediately and stays on until the person opening the car has input the four digit code into the keyboard. On their way to the car, they would not expect any further problem and the alarm going off would take them by surprise thus probably make them abandon any further attempt - they would probably run off. Even if they kept the keys, you would still have the car -and you should then take the car with the remaining keys to an authorised dealer asap to get a new spare set of keys, and these and your remaining set re-programmed to a different security code.

Does anyone do this? - does what I have said make sense?

I have a basic tracker but this is only activated when I report theft to Navtrak.

I've not tried the Superlock option yet, but I'm thinking (under certain circumstances) it well worth the hassle of the alarm going off every time I open the car if this circumnavigates the problem where theft of keys basically hands the car on a plate and gives thieves a head start.
Old 24 June 2004, 02:34 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Iv used it and I think its a great idea.

I got
Alarm
immobiliser
tracker
disklok
2 large steel posts in ground
superlock.
Old 25 June 2004, 02:25 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
Iv used it and I think its a great idea.

I got
Alarm
immobiliser
tracker
disklok
2 large steel posts in ground
superlock.
You seem to have it well covered Ray - but you might like to note that I actually saw someone today who had tethered their car (it was an old car so could have been a Mr Bean character) to a lampost using a strong chain and padlock. This is not as daft as it sounds really - it just looks daft!
Old 27 June 2004, 06:21 AM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

I used this feature on my 00my when I went on holiday for a month. Left my car in the garage too but the peace of mind was nice.
It also doesnt drain the battery so much as its not constantly scanning for a signal to disarm.
Car started first time when I came home. Previously its had a flat battery after 2 weeks
Old 28 June 2004, 09:12 AM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
I used this feature on my 00my when I went on holiday for a month. Left my car in the garage too but the peace of mind was nice.
It also doesnt drain the battery so much as its not constantly scanning for a signal to disarm.
Car started first time when I came home. Previously its had a flat battery after 2 weeks
Didn't know about the fact that battery is less drained when in superlock mode - but would alarm not then go off if someone forced entry? Anyway, if I understand you correctly, it's worth knowing that if leaving car for two weeks at airport whilst on holiday, it's better for battery to leave car alarm in superlock mode. Don't want to come back late at night to find that car battery is dead. Anyone have any other stories about how long battery will last if car left in normal locked mode?