Notices

Help choosing tracker..

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2003, 09:07 PM
Hoth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

I notice than some subarus come with RAC trackstar as standard. I've only used 'Tracker' in the past.
They also talk about trackstar standard and protector - which one does it come with and can you upgrade at the dealer ?

Can anyone offer anyhelp in choosing one? I've looked around on the net and cannot find a site comparing them.

I've read several postings on this site. Some people have told me that thiefs have products that jam the 'tracker'. Also the trackstar is useless if indoors or in rural areas.
Is this because they use GSM ?

Can anybody help ?
Thanks

P.S. Can you buy the subaru without the trackstar, therefore choosing your own ?

[Edited by Hoth - 9/21/2003 9:16:32 PM]

[Edited by Hoth - 9/21/2003 9:21:59 PM]
Old 22 September 2003, 01:19 PM
neilspinney
Scooby Newbie

what model of Subaru are you buying as I am quite sure (I work for a Subaru Dealership) that the only car that comes preinstalled with a Tracker is the STI TypeUK.
At the end of the day it your car you are buying and you can put any Tracker system you like! Here's a few good names DanTrack, RAC Trackstar and Tracker. Iwould go for the first one, but it up to you!
Old 22 September 2003, 02:35 PM
STIwanabe
Scooby Newbie

Allow me to butt in but i think the P1 and the new STI has tracker fitted as standard.

Where can i find info on the DanTrack system??
Tried a search on Yahoo but nothing come up, i too will be getting a tracker fitted to my RB5 when i pick it up.
Old 22 September 2003, 03:01 PM
neilspinney
Scooby Newbie

send me and e-mail neilspinney@hotmail.com or goto www.microathome.biz
Old 22 September 2003, 04:17 PM
miguel
Scooby Newbie

hi,

sorry if I'm butting in on this thread but I have a related question and thought it might be relevant with this one....

I am looking at a P1 which includes RAC Trackstar...

Am I write in my understanding that even tho' the unit is in the car you have to pay them a subscription every year to 'activate' it.... basically is it going to cost me money?

If it's not activated .... could I buy a subscription after its stolen and find it ;-) just trying to save a couple of quid.... and I guess that last question is a bit tongue in cheek... but if you don't ask you don't get.

thanks for anyone willing to help a subaru security newbie :-)

cheers

M
Old 22 September 2003, 04:40 PM
neilspinney
Scooby Newbie

first of all you will need a submission to trackstar as they wont cover your car if stolen, bit like the chicken and the egg. if you want to save money in the long run get the trackstar removed and get a dantrack fitted as you can transfer it from car to car! also submission packages can be as little as £2.50 a week not a lot for looking after your car!

[Edited by neilspinney - 9/22/2003 4:41:41 PM]
Old 22 September 2003, 08:13 PM
Hoth
Scooby Regular

Neil can you buy the STI type UK without the trackstar (and then give me another £500 off your price).

I don't think the trackstar is the most appropraite tracker for my needs. I was personally thinking of navtrack. It's nice to have the option ;-)