Notices

DiscLok - Any point for an MY03

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2003, 02:22 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking of buying a DiscLok for my MY03, but am wondering if there is any point. Since the car has an immobiliser that is an integral part of the engine management system, plus the additional immobiliser of the Sigma alarm system, is there really any way the car can (easily) be stolen (i.e. driven away) without the keys? I realise that you could tow it or pick it up and put it on a flat-bed, but the DiscLok won't prevent this either.

Opinons please!
Old 12 September 2003, 04:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I would trust the standard MY03 immobilisation, particularly the sigma part, in no way whatsoever.

Add a disklok.
Old 12 September 2003, 04:49 PM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

I have brought a MY03 (Picking it up tommorow) I have brought a Disklok and also a Bulldog security clamp!
Old 12 September 2003, 05:16 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Sigma is that good eh? looks like a trip to Costco this weekend! Out of interest, what is a bulldog security clamp?

[Edited by dr_ming - 9/12/2003 5:21:08 PM]
Old 12 September 2003, 05:56 PM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

Its a wheel clamp that only takes seconds to fit and was rated highly by auto express who were testing the disklok at the same time they both got top marks as they take longer than 5 minutes to remove.

Check out the website

Euro clamp EM500SS

www.bulldog-security-products.co.uk

I paid £40 for mine inc p&p (which is good cause it heavy) from www.carsorted.net
Old 12 September 2003, 07:22 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Standard security is rarely impressive. The fact that it's standard means everyone knows what security is in there.

Get a diskloc, and remember to use it. Also, seriously consider Blackjax. The increased peace of mind makes it worthwhile.
Old 12 September 2003, 09:53 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Yes, I was thinking of getting a BlackJax too. This will undoubtedly give my wife further cause to think I have gone mad, but better safe than sorry. Looks like I'll be paying Doctor Clifford a visit!
Old 12 September 2003, 10:16 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Get one. It's worth it for the extra peace of mind. It only takes a few seconds to fit - as previously stated :-)

I've also had a Dipol gear lock fitted. I'll post some pix's when I remember to borrow the digit camera from work.

Also considing the BlackJax.
Old 12 September 2003, 10:27 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Just taken a look at the bulldog clamp. Looks like a good piece of kit, but if I bought one of those AND the DiscLok, my wife would have me committed. She already thinks I'm nuts because I spent the last two weekends beefing up the security on the house (thus making the keys rather difficult to get at!). Thanks for the info though.
Old 12 September 2003, 11:12 PM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

Im only gonna fit the bulldog when im leaving the car overnight. I too am having a tracker and Blackjax fited tommorow at Motorguard.
Old 13 September 2003, 09:19 AM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, what type of tracker are you having? There seems to be a great amount of debate as to whether the GPS/GSM type is best (like RAC Trackstar), or the VHF radio type. Reading the other threads on the subject, it is certainly difficult to filter the facts from the subjecture, but overall, the concensus seems to be for the VHF radio type.
Old 13 September 2003, 04:14 PM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

Ive had the Tracker Monitor fitted. Im with Tesco and they said that cause its a MY03 model a tracker was not required by them as the standard security is enough but I decided to have one anyway. Had the tracker fitted this morning by motorguard excellent job and excellent price too.

Old 07 October 2003, 11:47 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Bear this in mind...

Yes a disclock will deter joy riders and make it harder to steal...but...

a disklock will make you more vunerable to car-jackers...imagine how long it takes when you have to get in the car, take off these devices...all the while sat there in your car like a sitting duck unable to drive the car off quickly in needed.

I had a disclock but no longer use it for reasons above.
Old 07 October 2003, 09:05 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

I reckon thefts of unoccupied vehicles are much more common than car-jackings. The reason I use the disclok is for it's value as a visual deterent. At the end of the day, having one reduces the risk of your motor getting nicked. For this reason I'd recommend them.
Old 07 October 2003, 10:40 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree,probably one of the best security devices on the market.
Old 08 October 2003, 02:35 PM
CavT
Scooby Regular

ECU derived immobilisers are junk!

All a thief has to do is replace the ECU with one that has had the security lockouts removed, or from an earlier model that didn't have the security.

Disklocks are worth the 'hassle' of putting them on/off.

I think only Mercedes owners can have feelings that the cars standard security is enough..... everyone else is naive to think so!
Old 08 October 2003, 03:24 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!
yep agree about Diskloc totally, everyone 'performance' car should have one. I'd never be without mine now. CostCo gotta be the best bet if you don't mind 'small' & a yellow one. Only downside to that is you gotta be a member. But most people know someone who can get in.
Old 13 October 2003, 04:41 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Bought one, and I use it. Having had a closer look at the MY01 to MY03 'security' (factory imobiliser and Sigma system), additional security is not just a good idea, it's essential (I design automotive electronics for a living, and I can see why the factory immobiliser is not Thatcham approved!!!).

Chance of being car-jacked is much less than the car dissapearing in the night, either having been stolen by someone who knows what they're doing, or by having your front door kicked in for the keys (Blackjax seems to be the best way not loose your car if this happens, although the disklok still adds to the hassle factor for the thief).

In addition, I always lock the doors as soon as I get into the car.
Old 13 October 2003, 07:33 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

How much for the disclok from Costco including vat etc?
Old 13 October 2003, 07:40 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

£44 plus vat
Old 13 October 2003, 08:32 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

£39.95 plus VAT from the one in Watford :-)
Old 13 October 2003, 11:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

GBP65.99 in Argos at the moment n'all

mb
Old 16 October 2003, 07:05 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

The Watford costco did not have any when i was there last week, they change what they sell quite often.
Old 16 October 2003, 11:19 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Just my personal opinion, but you only have to be car jacked (or attempted) to make you see a different perspective.

I can say that the Disklock is very secure. I lost the keys for mine and it took me 3.5hours of constant drilling with a power drill and broke a number of drill bits before it finally gave way.

I'm now opting for electronic immobilsers instead of disklock just because of the issue of car-jacking.
Old 21 October 2003, 06:13 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

The Watford costco did not have any when i was there last week, they change what they sell quite often.
There must have been a scoobynet group buy on them.

There were loads when I went last, about a week before you. Picked another one up for the g/f's golf.
Old 22 October 2003, 10:01 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

My 10p...

If the theif has a choice between trying to nick your car with a disklok and a beemer parked next to it without one - he'll go for the easiest and quikest solution..... for £60 odd quid its worth it just as a visual deterent!!

It's gonna take a few mins for him to disable it - and he's going to make a racket doing so... all of which means he's in your car risking getting caught... which is his no 1 worse case scenario. He just wants to jump in and drive off.

Worth it IMHO

Jza
Old 23 October 2003, 09:19 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Back in stock at Costco Watford. Went there this evening!
Old 23 December 2003, 02:40 AM
imi
Scooby Regular

how can you say that ECU security is crap? OK "ALL" they need to do is replace is with an older ECU or another ECU with no security but surely it will take them a while to do that..

I agree Disklock is a great VISUAL deterent, but I doubt joy-riders would be able to nick the car without the keys.

I also agree with the car-jacking comments, but in those cases, i rather hand the car over to them..
Old 23 December 2003, 05:35 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Ok, look at it another way.

Thief(s) see your car parked up...now see it from their point of view...they need that car...

...now they either nick it by breaking in...or if it looks too difficult (disclock) they just wait for you and persuade you to give them your keys or if parked outside your house they break in and take the keys...

...if they break into your house and you have hid the keys under your pillow (for example) they are unlikely just to leave it...instead they goto your bedroom and persuade you to hand the keys over...

out of those 3 outcomes I would rather the car be stolen without me knowing....

...in saying that I now live/drive in a low risk area where a disclock is useful in deterring joy riders.
Old 23 December 2003, 11:55 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

imi, because it is! No need for a swap-out ECU either.

Quick Reply: DiscLok - Any point for an MY03