Notices

Are Trackers worth it

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2003, 01:41 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Been bugging me a bit after losing my last Scooby. It didnt have a tracker, but do they do any good.

A car I know that had Navtrak fitted was nicked. OK the driver got a call very soon afterwards, but the unit was found in a field

Surely all the scum assume a tracker is fitted and park up quickly to disable it. The units I have seen are not that hard to find. As you are relying on the phone system to make a call, find that unit and unplug it and the tracker is useless.

Seems to me they are all easy to find and hence flawed. Am I wrong ?

Is there a decent unit out there ?

Jonathan
Old 13 August 2003, 04:28 PM
neilspinney
Scooby Newbie

Dantrack do the dt-100 which you can transfer from car to car!
they can even kill me the car by cutting in the imobilser when the car is stolen!

goto the link below and the goto the dantrack link!
www.microathome.biz
Old 14 August 2003, 10:03 AM
fin
Scooby Regular

Buying the right type of tracker is very important. Lots of Cra* ones are about for example if you but a cheap Tracker from Tracker you have to notice the car is missing then alert the police, this could take hours and give them time to remove it, in the case of others they inform you from call centers the car is being removed and are on it stright away i can't see them finding it in 10 mins when driving down the road they will be to busy trying to get away first. Trust me on this one they are steeling cars to order or to break to repair damaged cars these are the main reasons of steeling high powered expensive cars much more then joy riding cos joy riders are normally thick kids. They will steel it drive about 5 to 10 miles away park it on a quiet road or pub car park and leave it for a day to see if its got a tracker. I would say at least 95% of pro car robbers do this and a good tracker would have your car returned to you. I have a RAC trackstar. Towed my car down the road to test it cos i thought it was a lot of money, my mobile rang in less then two minutes

[Edited by fin - 8/14/2003 10:05:40 AM]
Old 14 August 2003, 06:53 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Fin

I would love to agree, but 5 minutes from home the Navtrak unit was removed. Navtrak was tracking it untill that point. 5 minutes after the theft the unit was disabled.

My concern is that most criminals can find the GSM phone unit that calls up. On the Scooby there always seems to be a common ish area. The phone needs some kind of antenna to work.

Jonathan
Old 15 August 2003, 01:13 AM
Deako1
Scooby Regular

Tracker monitor needs no antenna though...and can be fitted in a variety of places.
Old 15 August 2003, 05:10 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

What's the point unless your ins. co. specify one, you have to pay a yearly subscription to get a stolen/recovered car, not a good deal when you want to sell and no one will touch it with a bargepole!!
Old 15 August 2003, 09:02 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

The car is not stolen recovered if you get it back. Its only if the insurance pays you out, and then they get it.

After having my house broken into at night and the car stolen I do worry a little.

Jonathan