Notices

Alarm blipper interference - anyone else had this?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2003, 02:53 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all

Got a bit of a strange thing happening at the moment which hasn't happened at all in all the time I have had the car (MY00 had since new) and it is that every now and again the alarm won't arm when I press the key fob.
It happened once at a services on the M1 and because it was the 1st time it had happened I didn't have the code to unlock it with me! At the time I thought it was a problem with the battery on the keyfob so was thinking I'm alright, one of these shops at the services is bound to sell a range of batteries to fit things like these! Do they fek!
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I called the wife and asked her to try to find the code in all my paperwork (no mean feat!) but sods law that as soon as I ring off I pressed it while the ignition was on and vroom the beast started!
Thought nothing of it after that as it didn't recur for a while but now it has happened several times in different places. I have already changed the keyfob battery out but having called Subaru Assistance (because I again forgot to remember the code)but all they said was that it was probably some interference. Eventually I got around the problem by pushing the car 1 foot forward and then, as if by magic it started!

I can't believe that there are so many spots around where my keyfob signal is being "jammed". Has anyone else had problems like this? I'm beginning to worry that there is something wrong with the car's alarm system or the keyfob (especially as the warranty just ran out!!!)
Luckily I now know the security code off by heart so I won't get stranded but it's just a bit annoying. Yesterday it wouldn't arm in a car park and I ended up pushing it back and forth trying to get a reception - alright with mobiles but a bit cumbersome with a car!!! I'm sure some people thought we were nicking the car (in broad daylight) as the alarm was going off with me pushing it!

Anyway, I hope I'm not alone or being stalked by someone with some weird jamming device that likes to see me pushing my car around!

Chris
PS sorry - even though I tried to cut it short it's ended up as a long story!

[Edited by clintyboy12 - 7/28/2003 2:55:38 PM]
Old 28 July 2003, 02:55 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yes, first time i had to call Subaru assistance for help. managed to get the code and get it going on Christmas eve!

Some auto door openers such as at supermarkets, garages, etc can do it.
Old 28 July 2003, 03:01 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul

When it happened the 1st time I was near one of those opening doors but when it happened yesterday and today there was (seemingly) nothing even remotely nearby! This is why I am thinking there may be a problem with the car or soemthing...
Old 28 July 2003, 03:12 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Only had the problem once, Ikea car park in Gateshead, place is surrounded by mobile phone masts - won't be going there again!
Old 28 July 2003, 03:13 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Mobile phone masts are a common interference source.
A method to overcome the interference is to place the fob under your chin (I kid you not)and press the button whith you face close to the windscreen.
Apparantly it focuses the waves ! You may look a twit but it saves waiting for the assistance mob.
Old 28 July 2003, 03:17 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

ScoobyTowers - do you press it with your chin?
I can just imagine the looks I would be getting!!

BTW - how on earth did you find that one out though???!
Old 28 July 2003, 03:22 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

My typing / discribing skills have a lot to be desired !

Can't remember who posted it originally but I definatley got the info off here - its a well known fix that Subaru assist use
Old 28 July 2003, 03:25 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Around Hickleys in Taunton is a bad area cuase of the phone masts. Had to use the code to lock and unlock it
Old 28 July 2003, 03:26 PM
P1-day
Scooby Regular

i've experienced this over the past 2 weeks, but strangely enough it happens outside my house. when i park in the drive it only seems to work after about 10 minutse of flaffing around circling the car. in the street and everywhere else theres not a problem. ive been parking in the drive for 8 months now. wierd??
Old 28 July 2003, 03:31 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Has your local council just sanctioned a mast erection (oo-er missus!) for mobiles recently I wonder...

Don't suppose anyone knows a website that will show where all mobile masts are located? Or where someone could get such info?

Chris
Old 28 July 2003, 03:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Happened to me in Asda when the recorded message for disabled parking was playing, as soon as it stopped the doors unlocked.

The remote to chin is a well known fix, been using it myself on a vehicle with remote opening doors for a few years now.

It must use your body as a form of aerial.
Old 28 July 2003, 03:40 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Where abouts in the car is the sensor? Scooby Assist just said point it at the dash (sadly they didn't say anything about the chinny chin chin thing!)
It's not that dark thing on the roof near the map reading lights is it?

Chris
Old 28 July 2003, 03:44 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

things could get a lot worse. A mate works for a communications company who erect all the masts for Orange. Aparently for these new 3G phones to work properly, you cant be any further than 300M away. That means a lot of these things are going up...
Old 28 July 2003, 03:45 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

sensor, I was told, is right behind the fuse panel by your right knee...
Old 28 July 2003, 03:47 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Chris,

I've never had this problem with a car but I did have a problem with a Datatool alarm on my Kawasaki Ninja. Basically I got stranded at a motorway service station after filling up with petrol and my alarm wouldn't respond.
After phoning the company that made the alarm, I was told to push the bike off the forecourt and try again. To my amazement, it worked. The guy explained that the petrol pumps and tills comunicate with each other using a telemetery system. Basically the telemetery was "swamping" my alarm with info and the alarm signal just got lost in the mess. The telemetery on motorway services is stronger because the forecourts are generally bigger.

Craig.
Old 28 July 2003, 03:48 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Wow! If Messiah is right, I wonder if it will be possible to get the frequency changed... anyone got any ideas how to do that?

Thanks you guys - it's nice to know my car's not going up the spout 2 days after the wty ran out!

Chris

[Edited by clintyboy12 - 7/28/2003 3:49:43 PM]
Old 28 July 2003, 03:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

FYI
Did some work with Vodaphone recently, they can and do disgusie their masts so to blend in with the surroundings so not as easy to spot as they used to be.
Old 28 July 2003, 03:53 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

clintyboy - make sure you have the PIN for the immobiliser, if not - your local dealer can recode it for you.

This'll save you having to push your car away from a mast should you get any interference.
Old 28 July 2003, 03:55 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Arrow

disguising masts? ha!

theres a mast in cockermouth, cumbria that stands out a mile! it's out on its own in the middle of nowehere are all the bends in the "branches" are at 90degrees! It can be seen for over a mile in all directions!

It has been there a while though so I expect the newer ones arent as obvious.
Old 28 July 2003, 03:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have a Sigma M30 on a Corrado and I get the same thing in supermarkets and the city centre. I also have the same prob as P1-day, it works in the street outside my house but not in my drive. Wierd.
Old 28 July 2003, 04:00 PM
Paul Woodward
Scooby Regular

Just found this site http://www.sitefinder.radio.gov.uk/ that lists mobile phone base stations (are these the same as phone masts?) Click on Find GB Site and enter your postcode to see if there's one near you!
Old 28 July 2003, 04:28 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Nice one Paul!
Have tried searching for the area that I parked in today but so far can't see any masts listed!

Tell a lie - just zoomed in to the 0-100m view and loads have popped up!

Looks like it will be a check on this site before setting off for anywhere now!!!
Old 30 July 2003, 09:26 AM
Paul Woodward
Scooby Regular

Quite interesting isn't it!

Worth checking before you buy a house as well in case there's one hidden nearby.
Old 03 August 2003, 12:15 AM
middo
Scooby Regular

This is a common problem with modern alarms. The radio frequencies are limited in band width and power by law (euro interfering again)so are usually impossible to change. The only way I know to get a different frequency is to fit fobs and reciever from another market e.g. Japan/USA/Swiss ect, but bear in mind that this makes it against the law to use! Putting the fob under your chin or waving it close to the steering wheel is still the easiest option.
Old 03 August 2003, 03:26 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the easiest option is to get your dealer to fit the shielded ecu then you don't have the problem ever again well at least the 10+ cars i've changed it on have not had it again.
and i'm pretty sure for a dealer to change the pin code they need the old one as well. but if you get the new ecu you get a new pin with it.
Old 09 August 2003, 02:09 PM
CraigCH
Scooby Regular

I've had similar problems recently and have been told that dolphin telecome are notorious for this sort of interference. If the people who look after the masts get enough complaints they have to change the location or frequency. Im in the process of trying to identify a local mast so that website will come in usefull.
Craig
Old 10 August 2003, 10:41 PM
scoobsteve
Scooby Regular

I too have had exactly the same problems. At one point I had to get a mate to tow me a couple hundred yards down the road to fix it!!

I didn't get the code when I bought the car, so I asked my dealer if they could get it. They said they could, but you have to pay 45 mins labour for them to s0d with the ecu.
Old 15 August 2003, 05:42 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I've had this. The only place it happens is outside my sister's houde in Caterham. There must be some kind of transmitter nearby as this is a residential area - no big shops etc. The first time it happened, I ended up calling Subaru Assistance - they put it down to a low voltage (?) - charged the battery and it worked. I now look the door on the key if I visit my sister. If the key fob doesn't work in the car, I use the keypad.

Chris
Old 18 August 2003, 04:17 PM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

The UK Subaru keyfob conforms with the MPT1340 specification for allowing the use of a licence exempt transmitter.

The frequency band used within the UK is used for telemetry, telecommand and in-building security equipment
operating in the frequency band 417.900 MHz to 418.100 MHz and
in-vehicle equipment including radio keys in the frequency band
433.720 MHz to 434.120 MHz.

The frequency band is known as a "secondary use" band which basically means anything/anybody can use it, as long as they conform to the MPT1340 spec which describes power levels, channel allocation, antenna design etc...

It seems that more and more 'things' are using this band, which means more and more interference to our keyfobs, unfortunately.

Garages/supermarkets/services are particularly bad as they have paging systems/data collection devices/security.

Anyhow, hope that helps.

Dave
Old 06 September 2010, 11:57 PM
patrick111
Scooby Newbie

Hi Guys,

I've been experiencing the same problem. ie can't use key fob 'blipper' while parked in our yard. (This is not Subaru related - it screws up all cars that come here!!)

I've just started an investigation to find out what is 'flooding' the RF band and causing interferance.

Key fobs are typically on 433.xxxMhz

Other devices that use the 433MHz band in my house alone so far include:
1. The Watchman level indicator on the oil tank.
2. The thermostat for the central heating system.
3. An IR extender used for transmitting infra red remote control signals to another room.
4. The PIR floodlight that also sends a signal to a remote alerter in the house.
5. The electricity monitor supplied by eon.
6. 'ByeBye Standby' remotes for turning lights and other devices on and off.

Now I need to turn them all off one at a time and find the culprit!

Chris L - Check which of these devices your sister has!

Hope this helps.

Patrick
Lincoln, UK