Notices

Cant arm Clifford while Turbo Timer is Running???

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2003, 06:06 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a Clifford C500 with Intellistart. Normally I turn off the ignition, and the turbo timer runs the engine for 3 minutes. I used to be able to ARM the system while the timer and engine were running, but now I can only ARM the system when the engine has stopped. It will DISARM the system when the engine is running after intellistarting it so aparentley it is a fault with the turbo timer? Can anyone shed a little more light on this problem and more importantley how to fix it.....Thanks The car is a STI TYPE R '97 the turbo timer is a stardo i think.
Old 06 June 2003, 01:45 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

I have a similar problem but a MUCH older alarm system.....A Concept 50 (No laughing please)....Mine seems very finnicky about when it will arm etc Sometimes it will arm on countdown other times it will not I thought it had some thing to do with whether the doors had been opened before the key had been removed but now i'm not so sure.
Old 06 June 2003, 06:17 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

Wink

As I only had the alarm fitted a couple of months ago, I called the company. They said it was something to do with the turbo timer because I can disarm it when the engine is running. I am not really sure how the timers work so I am non the wiser really.
Maybe there is someone who knows about timers and alarms who can advise us. So all you elctronics and cliffords experts out there get thinking......
Old 10 June 2003, 12:17 AM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

40 views.......2replies..............I am doomed
Old 11 June 2003, 11:50 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ahh the turbo timer is a aftermarket one? Not using the Clifford to do it?

If so then it is probably keeping the ignition energised? which could stop the alarm from arming as it thinks you are driving?

HTH
H
Old 12 June 2003, 12:05 AM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

If it is keeping the ignition energised is this a wiring fault or the timer is knackerd? i.e Can it be fixed and how?
Old 12 June 2003, 12:23 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

I suppose you could move the timer ignition wire to after the imobiliser and use a diode?

Soz never wired a timer in before. I use the built in timer on my alarm to do it.

H
Old 12 June 2003, 11:35 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Definitely sounds like it's powering the ignition wire, which means the alarm won't let you arm because of the safety lockout (prevents arming while you're driving).

Not totally sure how the Cliffords work but I reckon if the turbo timer is wired to bypass both the ignition switch (which it should be already to allow it to keep the engine running after the key is removed) and the alarm's wiring on the ignition line, then the alarm should still see the ignition being off and also won't be able to immobilise the engine while the turbo timer is running.

This however is very likely to cause problems with your insurance if you need the Cat1 becuase even though the immobiliser will work as normal once the turbo timer cuts out, it's still potentially bypassing it (and is actively bypassing it while running on the timer). Be careful, although TBH most insurance companies don't like turbo timers anyway.
Old 13 June 2003, 05:07 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Cliffords have a turbo timer built in - it just needs a relay to be fitted & the alarm configured.

Probably be able to flog the turbo timer on here for more than the price to get this fitted by your local Clifford Dealer.

Chris