Notices

Steering wheel lock

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2003, 01:26 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to halfords monday to look at the steering locks, now as most of you I have a cat 1 alarm and immobiliser + tracker.

Looking at their wall if i was to pay £50 i can get a steering wheel lock that will take 3 minutes for a professional thief to get rid of.

Question is this -

3 minutes worth of time aint a huge amount, is it worth shelling out another 50 quid even if it acts as a deterrent?

Also just to add a small note, halfords in harlow had a ****e selection to look at.

Any other deterrents I can add to my car apart from sleeping in it or putting a pooch in there :P ?
Old 27 May 2003, 01:43 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

I've got one of the full wheel covers, was about £80 or so. I assume its effect is mostly a deterrant to the casual car thief who hasn't the time or inclination to try and remove it - more likely to go to the next car thats not got one.

A professional may well attempt to take the lock off if hes determined, but I think these were tested a while back and took more than 3 minutes to remove, even using some heavy angle grinders.

At the end of the day, the more you can do to protect your car, the better, imho.

Dave
Old 27 May 2003, 02:10 PM
revitt
Scooby Regular

I work on the principle that only professionals are interested in my car and as I can't work out how the steering wheel lock stops them loading the car onto the back of a flat bed truck I have never fitted one.

Now if I could just stop them discovering that I don't keep anything in the glove box ...
Old 27 May 2003, 02:43 PM
WR-MIKE
Scooby Regular

You could try a wheel clamp (makes it very hard to drag/lift the car onto a wagon. only problems are they are a pain in the **** to carry round in the boot & you get wet fitting them if it is raining.
hope this helps, Mike.
Old 27 May 2003, 06:42 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Hi! Don't know if i can post the make/name of the steering lock i've just bought?? But its a BIG yellow one and i got it from a discount warehouse for just under £50. Thatcham approved etc etc. If you want more info drop me a line.