Notices

Remote start, a few Q's for the clever folk.

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2002, 11:30 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,
The nights are drawing in and Jack Frost is just around the corner, at least he is at 05:45 when I have to drive to the flippin' station!
By the time we get to the station the other half's car has just about de-misted and warmed up, just in time to get out and lock it.
So I'm thinking about getting her 'Remote Start' for Christmas.

My questions are thus:

Is it possible to get a retro fit remote that will work in conjunction with the car's alarm (S reg Nissan Almera Gti/NATS cat 1 alarm)?

Does this make the alarm non-cat1?

How much will a complete aftermarket cat1 (with R/S) cost?

Has anyone had experience of R/S, good or bad???

Cheers in advance

Dave
Old 10 October 2002, 11:43 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Whether it's possible to retro-fit will depend on the current alarm. It probably will null the Cat-1 status. See this thread for similar discussions: http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=136627
. I'd love to have a R/S but prefer Cat-1 alarm/immobiliser recognition.
Old 15 October 2002, 06:42 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

Remote starters are on the market that work off a seperate remote so they have no conection to your cat 1 alarm and should not afect the security on your car!!

www.motorguarduk.co.uk
Old 18 October 2002, 12:10 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Doctor Clifford,

I am no expert but I would of thought that a Cat1 alarm would immobilise your car so a seperate remote starter would not be able to start the car.

Si.
Old 18 October 2002, 12:29 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

to use remote start the original imobiliser needs to be bypassed, also if you have a key with a transponder chip in it this chip has to be removed and attached to the inside of the steering column so the car thinks the key is in the ignition. You can fit a clifford remote start module to most things, though to be honest a decent alarm is a good idea as it will allow you to set time periods for it and even a turbo timer mode.

Also please note that suburus have high levels of electronic interference which ****s with a lot of alarms, clifford do a range of alarms specifically for the wrx to combat this.

In my opinion its worth shelling out a bit extra and getting a decent system. I have a concept 600 wrx with remote start, omni sensor, blackjax, a mobile phone dialer which rings ur mob if the alarm goes off and three sirens. The 600 is the **** and can do everything from run as a turbo timer to close all your windows for you when you park up.

Ive had cliffords before and the fitting is the reason for most of the reliability issues. out of 3 alarms ive had no problems with the latest. The company who fitted it for me are Streetworkz (www.streetworkz.co.uk) im sure they can answer any question you have and are good on scoobys as they also import the things hope this helps
Old 18 October 2002, 09:33 PM
Rafique
Scooby Regular

My friend had a similar problem. He had a remote start fitted to his UK Impreza from Motorguard(www.motorguarduk.co.uk). They had to remove his immobiliser chip from his keys and mount it behind his ignition barrel. However the add on remote starter they fitted is also a remote locker and immobiliser. It even locks his doors when he starts the car and unlocks them when he switches his ignition off.
Old 19 October 2002, 12:27 AM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

yeah that was a standard anti car jack feature rafique, its still on the alarms but they got even more intelligent now. Blackjax works on a valet code u enter on the dash. Say youre driving along and someone pulls a gun and tells u to get out the car, get out and let em have it. When the system senses the door open and close while running it switches on. It takes about 40 seconds to arm then if the person doesnt enter the correct valet code, which obviously they wont know the car goes into blackjax mode. The brakelights start to flash and first time it drops below a certain revrange indicating its going slow it cuts the engine and sets off the alarm. The thief is far enough away that he wont come after you and will probably peg it. ALl you do is wander back to your car, type in the code and drive off. Quality toy
Old 19 October 2002, 11:03 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

The Blackjax thingy sound very effective but must get on your nerves if you have to keep entering a code every time you open a door etc...

Decided just to start the car on the drive and lock it with the spare keys, the cars all nice and toasty but it still doesn't stop the other half complaining about something.
Old 19 October 2002, 11:14 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

Hello peeps

Cliffords black-jax will not activate if you just start your car and then lock the keys in the car its a we bit cleverer than that it involves the engine being reved up as well!!