Notices

P1 Alarm problem...

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2002, 09:57 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

To cut a (very) long story (very) short....

It appears that I can't park my car in the works car park and use the key fob for central locking and alarm activation/de-activation. Net result is a P1 that I can open using the key but then won't start.

Although I've had no problems in the past, I've just got back from hols and its all gone pear shaped both times I've been here this week. The first time it was recovered to the dealers, who just drove it off the transporter (only slightly embarassing!) and the second time is now, when it's outside and won't start. I fiddled with the PIN no on the keypad this morning and managed to get it to start, but when I turned it off and tried again I couldn't do it. A job for lunchtime...grrr

And yes, there are two radio masts within 100m or so - an Orange phone mast and a Securicor-Omega distribution depot mast.

But no, its never happened before, and I've parked here enough times over the last year or so.

So:
- is it highly likely that its some sort of RF interference
- is there anything I can do about it?

TIA
Martin

EDIT...sorry, possibly the wrong forum, but I can't move it now!

[Edited by MartinM - 8/22/2002 9:59:04 AM]
Old 22 August 2002, 10:18 AM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

How new is the phone mast?
I've had loads of problems with my Clifford alarm with phone masts (plus loads of other technical niggles, glad to see the back of the piece of poo)
If the battery was low in the transmitter I had to disarm it using the valet switch.
Suggest changing the battery in the keyfob
Old 22 August 2002, 11:04 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

The physical phone mast is at least 6 years old..but I obviously can't easily tell if they've just added a new transmitter to it, or turned up the radiated power on the existing transmitters.

As I said, I was cutting a very long story short - my first try was new batteries in the fob I normally use, the second was to get the wife to bring up the second fob up to work, but neither solved the problem.

Whereabouts in the car is the receiver for the fob? Maybe I can get really close to it with the fob to try and cut out the interference?

..and don't alarms have to pass some sort of EMC test to show that they won't misbehave (e.g.set themselves) when you drive reasonably near a radio transmitter anyway. What's reasonable these days, with the explosion of mobile phone coverage, GPRS and then 3G?

Anyone know a phone number for Subaru/IM I can call to have a chat? The dealer hasn't got much to say other than "We've heard about that happening before, Sir"

Grrr...
Old 22 August 2002, 11:14 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Hi again Martin

Sorry to hear of your probs.
Here are 2 numbers for them.
Think it is the first one you need.
Good luck

Jas
Old 22 August 2002, 11:39 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

If it makes you feel better we get the same problem at certain places and have ended up deactivating the alarm and using the key.

Have had a couple of nightmare holiday experiences with my fathers Range Rover with this on the continent. One solution which does work is to put some sort of shield between yourself and the interference.

Does this bad experience mean you'll take it out of your garage even less in future?
Old 22 August 2002, 11:42 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Jas

My current hero!

The first number is actually Subaru Finance who, whilst very pleasant and suggested I set their legal team onto the dealer () weren't able to be too helpful

...but the second is Subaru UK, where I've spoken to a very helpful chap who says that the keypad method should be reliable in these circumstances, but agrees it's not an optimum solution. He has, however, implied that there is a 'modified ECU' that can cure the problem (I think this is an alarm-oriented ECU, rather than the main engine mgt ECU, but I'm not entirely clear). He's told me to get the dealer on to him, and he will help them out. So far, so good....

Anyone had this 'ECU' replaced due to radio interference?

EDIT Wilf - LOL . Probably!

[Edited by MartinM - 8/22/2002 11:44:38 AM]
Old 22 August 2002, 11:43 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Lovely
Let us know what the outcome is pls

jas
Old 22 August 2002, 12:14 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Martin

I've had a similar problem with my MY01 - but only when I've parked it over at my sister's house. I can't see a transmitter , but I am told that there is one locally.

I did the same as you - changed the batteries etc - nothing worked. Eventually I called out Subaru Assistance who sent a truck round. The guy diagnosed a small voltage drop on the car battery. We had to open the car on the key (setting off the alarm at 11:300PM - sorry neighbours )and pop the bonnet. He then attached a charger to the battery and the alarm fob worked first time! Never had a problem since, but I don't park in the same place whenever I visit my sister's now!

Chris
Old 23 August 2002, 12:14 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Talking

There is a modded ECU for the alarm which fixes the bulk of the problems. Mines been done. But I still get the problems every so often, which I either get round by using the keypad (very rarely) or moving the fob to just above the steering wheel on the outside of the window ie getting as close to the ecu (which is under the steering wheel cowl) as possible. This normal unsets the alarm. If can be different from day to day in the same location.

Plus there is the old solution of putting the fob on your chin bone, turns you into a transmitter ! Don't knock has been known to work. !

Dave.
Old 20 September 2002, 10:50 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Update...

Modified alarm control unit fitted and all OK now.

I can now reliably get in my car at 5pm (clock-watcher) in the work car park via the central locking and start the car first time.

Thankyou to Subaru Customer Relations and Tileys..bit of a shame that I had to proactively talk to Customer Relations myself to get it sorted though