FAO: Max the Clifford Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2002, 01:44 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Max,

I'm currently looking for an alarm for my car and have just been told that Clifford went bust about 4 months ago and have since been taken over, all due to the number of warranties outstanding. Can you either confirm or deny this? The place I was told does sell Clifford alarms, so I cannot think of a reason why they would be making this up for a sale.

If this is the case, where does this leave buying a new Clifford alarm and its warranty? I was looking at Cliffords but now I'm not so sure and am currently weighing up the other options. Any opinions? Do you only deal with Clifford?

Thanks for your help,
Shaggy..
Old 04 July 2002, 11:55 PM
Revengeissweet
Scooby Newbie

If i am not mistaken clifford are alive and kicking
There was a take over of sorts.
DEI now own them and are working at making cliffords more reliable.
the only improvement that ive seen is with the antennas .
am i right or am i wrong max?
the con 100 has probs with it though so im told.
but cliffords are still great alarms. "and so say all of us"
Old 08 July 2002, 08:44 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

Shaggy,

I think you've been talking to some incredibly ill informed dealers, of which there seem to be quite a few. Clifford keeps going from strength to strength since the early/mid 70's. They merged with Directed Electronics (DEI) in the states, the largest in-car electronics group of companies in the world if I'm not mistaken, a year or two ago and Clifford UK (Kind of now DEI UK) are now having to move to a substantially larger premises as it looks like they will also be providing warehousing and some distribution facilities for the rest of Europe. So, Revengeissweet is quite right, but problems with the C100, now that is news to me. There are absolutely no inherant problems with any models in the range. There hasn't been any problems with Clifford kit since the very early 50X (circa 1997) had a slightly unstable multiplexed proximity sensor which dealers corrected with a single resistor until the design was modified. The only problems Clifford product ever suffers from are installation related. Yes, the product is far more complex than other brands, but all that means is that poor installation will manifest itself in poor performance, undue amounts of malfunctions, dissatisfied customers etc. Installed competently, it will be as, if not more, reliable that a lot of the more basic product out there.

Before anyone asks any more about new Clifford product, such as a new range to replace the current G4 range, I understand it will probably be at least the middle of next year before such a thing happens. I know this because my area manager from Clifford (who is the most straight talking no-nonsense rep I know) informed me that enough Cat 1. gear has been ordered to last till then, and so until stock of the existing range is depleted, UK-spec product won't be appearing. However, the rumours of some type of new Clifford product appearing soon have some foundation aparently. This range will be referred to as the Clifford Matrix range, but actually will be Avital product (I think), badged as Clifford with a Clifford LED. It is intended to be a kind of high spec entry-level product, but at the moment it isn't clear whether there will be a Cat 1 piece in this range. This Matrix range is not to be confused with the G4 range which is Clifford through and through, as will any future "G5" range next year.

I hope I'm pretty close with the information I've given here, but if you give Clifford/DEI UK a call I'm sure they'd be able to fill in any gaps or inaccuracies.
Old 10 July 2002, 11:22 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks from us all for clarifying Max! Usual disclaimers apply!!!

Cheers, Harry.
Old 11 July 2002, 02:29 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

Yes, just in case I'm talking nonsense I'll always say give someone else a ring. Just in case (-: .