Notices

cheapest cat1 remote locking alarm for insurance

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2002, 05:18 PM
novice
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As header, which one and how much should I expect to pay fully fitted?

Thanks novice
Old 14 June 2002, 06:09 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i found the cheapest Toad Ai606 around £240-£280 very good alarm and has many inputs for accessaries.
btw you might have to add £30 for central locking output
www.autoelectronics.freeserve.co.uk
Old 14 June 2002, 06:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Dont play around with your cars security, if you want it to be there in the morning when you get up put a good cat1 alarm on it, remember that a cat1 is proven for something like 5mins worth of attack, some do 6mins, some could do 3hrs, pick a good one and not the cheapest.

Tony
Old 15 June 2002, 08:09 AM
novice
Scooby Newbie

The way I look at it is that you should not have to fit an alarm in the first place!

If someone is going to nick your car they are going to nick it, so would you rather that it was so hard that they decided to first break into your house to get the keys, disturbing your wife and young kids before getting the keys or would you rather they was able to take the dam thing in the first place if they was that way inclined? I know which one I would go for!

The insurance on the car is high enough as it is, so why not get the cheapest alarm going using the best fitter that you can get for the money. Its a no brainer as far as I am concerned the insurance company gets enough easy money as it is without us guaranteeing that they never pay out for theft claims, also why I am at it why on earth do people fit trackers? I can understand on some very rare exotic cars even including the 22B in this but on UK turbos, Import WRX's I just cant see the point.

I once got a car back of mine after it was stolen and had been driven only a few miles and it was never the same again. Why stick a tracker on a car that would be totally shagged by some thieving scum bag? Surely it would be better to just buy another unmolested example? Of course it would be ideal if the car was not stolen in the first place but a top notch alarm and tracker is not going to stop someone from nicking the cd collection, head unit, laptop or what ever you are dumb enough to leave on view. Make it easy for those who are going to take it regardless and put the kids and opportunists off by having a few flashing lights on display surely that is the point of fitting an alarm?

Thanks novice
Old 16 June 2002, 03:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ok, some scum nicks your car cos you had a cheapo naff alarm on it, they then rag it and dump it, you get it back with broken locks etc and it needs repairing, your insurance goes up and the theives get away scott free.
Now add a tracking system into the equasion, police get theives so they cant steal someone elses car, you get car back knowing that said scum are locked up nice and safe.
Now add a really good cat1 alarm/immobiliser.
Scum break into your house, take your car keys, jump in car, drive it 200yards then it cuts out, you have called police, theives get caught and presto
Security is a deterrant, the better security the better the deterrant, so if you want extremely high insurance, stick crap on your car, if not and you want to reduce insurance, pust something good on

Tony
Old 16 June 2002, 06:18 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just make sure you buy a Cat 1 alarm, ie Ai606 etc, its been Approved by Thatcham and that should be the only thing you need in deciding on a alarm.
Old 16 June 2002, 08:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Well put it this way, i wouldnt put a laserline cat1 alarm on my car

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 16 June 2002, 10:33 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Smile

Youre right total crap,had one on a old golf,no end of trouble with it.