Notices

Possible sting

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2009, 08:57 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible sting

Im maybe being OTT so if Ive got this wrong email me back and I'll make my apologies. I think I may have been stung, I put a post up last week in the wanted section looking for an H&S downpipe and low behold a fellow enthusiast had one for sale. He was all over me with emails firing quick responses and hey presto he had a sale! Cash wired via paypal - instant payment!!

The thing is he wont return my emails and his mobile number has turned out to be "not recognised". His scoobynet name is Gotascoob. If it turns out that theres a simple explanation I will eat the biggest piece of humble pie and crawl under the couch. Im £85 lighter and not to happy unless he gets in touch of course

The seller said he was from Girvan, anyone from Girvan?
Old 02 February 2009, 09:01 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Can you open a dispute on paypal?
Old 02 February 2009, 10:04 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Can you open a dispute on paypal?
No, it was bought through this forum. No recourse Im afraid, Im just P*ssed off. You think when your buying in good faith that people are as straight as yourself.
Old 02 February 2009, 11:28 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I thought the point of using PayPal to buy anything, private or through a trade contact, on ebay or otherwise was that you could have some comeback if you ended up being ripped off??

I've not had PayPal for about 5 years now after I was apparently 'hacked' into... and have no desire to start another account if they're STILL locking me out after this time.

Hope you get it sorted out mate. Is the guy a well known member on here?? Lots of posts or been a member for a while??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 02 February 2009, 11:31 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

So, do you only get protection from PayPal if you use ebay?
Old 03 February 2009, 12:21 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
So, do you only get protection from PayPal if you use ebay?
as far as i was aware no, paypal should cover you for anything although im not 100% sure
Old 03 February 2009, 02:51 AM
SC008Y2009
Scooby Regular

you can claim your money back from paypal by asking for a claim back upto 21 days after sale even if its not thru ebay. As ive had to do that wi a dump valve either that get your bank to cancel the transaction.
either way you should be protected thru pay pal wether it be on ebay or anywhere else they work thru
hope u get sorted oot

Trending Topics

Old 03 February 2009, 09:23 AM
SC008Y2009
Scooby Regular

hi again heres what pay pal claims and it in there term of agreement hope this helps you

11.1 What is PayPal seller protection?

We will re-imburse you for an amount for Claims, Chargebacks, or Reversals made against you based on the following reasons:
  1. A Chargeback or Reversal was issued against you for the reason of an “Unauthorised Payment”; or
  2. A Chargeback or Claim was issued against you for the reason of “Item Not Received”.
11.2 PayPal seller protection is available for PayPal payment transactions received from:
  1. buyers who send a PayPal payment for a item purchased via eBay worldwide and everywhere PayPal is accepted; and
  2. buyers who send a PayPal payment for an item purchased outside of eBay from the UK, US or Canada.
PayPal seller protection does not apply to Claims, Chargebacks and/or Reversals for Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) nor for items that you deliver in person.
Old 03 February 2009, 01:41 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y2009
hi again heres what pay pal claims and it in there term of agreement hope this helps you

11.1 What is PayPal seller protection?

We will re-imburse you for an amount for Claims, Chargebacks, or Reversals made against you based on the following reasons:
  1. A Chargeback or Reversal was issued against you for the reason of an “Unauthorised Payment”; or
  2. A Chargeback or Claim was issued against you for the reason of “Item Not Received”.
11.2 PayPal seller protection is available for PayPal payment transactions received from:
  1. buyers who send a PayPal payment for a item purchased via eBay worldwide and everywhere PayPal is accepted; and
  2. buyers who send a PayPal payment for an item purchased outside of eBay from the UK, US or Canada.
PayPal seller protection does not apply to Claims, Chargebacks and/or Reversals for Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) nor for items that you deliver in person.
Guys thanks for all the help, I did call Paypal who said they can do nothing, the payments were received and withdrawn at source by the pr*ck who wont return my emails. Not through ebay a private transaction. It looks like Im £85 light. He has made 9 posts but I cant access them to see what he's been up to in the past or if he has any mates who can be contacted.
Old 03 February 2009, 02:24 PM
SC008Y2009
Scooby Regular

well wot u do is grab a key logger (google it) attach it in an email and get all his info and empty oot the scum bag
Old 03 February 2009, 06:00 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y2009
well wot u do is grab a key logger (google it) attach it in an email and get all his info and empty oot the scum bag
Hey thats the daddy of all tools, just has a peek at the site. I'll have to decide whether spending another £50 notes is worth the hassle, let me stew a while and I'll probably order the software for you as well....
Old 03 February 2009, 06:42 PM
SC008Y2009
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

no no it dont cost a penny dont buy it go to pirate bay
Old 03 February 2009, 10:15 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Connor_scotland
Do it mate. Its bang out of order for people to do this.

Do you have an address for him or his full name
To be honest I made a rookie error, Ive got his name but cant find his home listing, he said he's from Girvan but maybe from Brighton for all I know. The mobile numbers dead, sent the money first assuming all would be well. All I need now is some African contacting me promising me untold wealth if I sponsor them....and I'll send them money too...

Just be careful, this can happen to anyone on items that are likely more pricey than the make believe pipe I though I had. He's well spoken in his email and covers all the angles. Polite and helpful.
Old 03 February 2009, 10:39 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

If this does go **** up and you're still looking for a de-cat downpipe then I will see if my mate still has his from when he sold his MY98 Turbo if you like?? Assuming its going on a classic anyway... dont think he'd want much wonga for it, maybe 70-80quid, but I'd have to check.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03 February 2009, 11:55 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rtm4676
Guys thanks for all the help, I did call Paypal who said they can do nothing, the payments were received and withdrawn at source by the pr*ck who wont return my emails. Not through ebay a private transaction. It looks like Im £85 light. He has made 9 posts but I cant access them to see what he's been up to in the past or if he has any mates who can be contacted.
PM me his name and i will look through his posts for you or copy and paste them to you
Old 04 February 2009, 11:21 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
as far as i was aware no, paypal should cover you for anything although im not 100% sure
Been through thsi myself when I got ripped of for a gearbox on here.
Paypal does offer a very very limited protection system if you pay for items via paypal that are outside of ebay. If you open a dispute with them, and its best to phone, they will freeze the persons account and if he has funds in the account they may reclaim it. If he has no funds in his paypal account you are screwed.

I paid for the gearbox with £180 via a credit card and £75 that was in my paypal account. My credit card provider refunded the £180 but surprise surprise I never received the balance.

My advice is phone paypal and explain what happened and start a dispute. Also phone your credit card, if you paid that way and also inform them of what happened. Worst case scenario is you paid with money in your paypal account in that scenario given my experience you are unlikely to get anything back.

cheers
Archie
Old 04 February 2009, 12:00 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

PayPal's guarantee isn't worth a thing. As said, if the money came off your credit card you will get the cash back from your provider.

It is about time PayPal started passing details of fraud like this straight to the cops. Or put their (serious) money where thier mouth is and actually protected buyers.

5t.
Old 05 February 2009, 01:07 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Ive put a post up on the for sale section WARNING MEMBERS as the guys at it again it would appear. I received a PM from another memeber to say that Gotascoob was trying to sell a high price item wanting instant payment. I said I wouldnt name the guy in question he can confirm this if he chooses. watch out.