Notices

crack in rear alloy wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2008, 08:42 AM
332tur
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crack in rear alloy wheel!

Anyone know of any place that can fix it, am in Rosyth so in Fife would be great, if not then can hunt around. Cheers

Last edited by 332tur; 05 November 2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: oops mis spelt!!
Old 05 November 2008, 10:59 AM
valeturcar
Scooby Regular

Default crack in alloy

i can remember getting mine powder coated and about 3 months later the front 2 started to crack,it seems that certain scoobys dont like the heat,when the powder coating process is carried out,mainly sti wheels,

anyway I WOULD NOT drive on the wheel,if it cracks 100% WHEN AT HIGH SPEED U WILL NEED MORE THAN JUST A NEW WHEEL

i would try n souce a replacement ebay etc etc or on here

andy in dunfermline
Old 05 November 2008, 10:41 PM
Car Security Expert
Scooby Regular

As Andy says.... It's not safe to drive with a cracked wheel. Imagine the damage a 70mph blowout can cause if the crack decided to get worse.

I wouldn't even consider repairing it either. Besides it will probably cost about the same to get a new wheel as it would to get the damaged one repaired and repainted.
Old 06 November 2008, 07:20 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default Nature

the nature of a crack is to grow, cracks propogate. a crack will always increase in size. if it is around a spoke for instance it will end up meeting around the circumference.
I have heard that some alloys can be welded.
however i would request a written guarantee with any repair, because the weld would have to be done to a certain standard the filler wire would have to be compatible with the material of the wheel. the wheel manufacturer would have to be consulted for these facts. you couldn't just weld the wheel with any filler material. at any temperature, the grain structure of metals can change when heated.
more likely the wheel is a write off, i would not risk it. just try for a new wheel.
the results of a wheel failure at motorway speeds could be very serious for you and others.
I am a qualified NDT technician, i also have a good knowledge of weld procedures. i'm not just saying this for the craic.