Notices

Fishing in Scotland.

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2008, 04:24 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fishing in Scotland.

I'm coming up to Scotland for a weeks holiday from Saturday and we're staying around the Loch Ness area. I want to bring my fishing gear with me but have heard the licencing laws for fishing are different from down here.

Can anyone shed some light for me please? Also do any of you know where i could go Salmon fishing for the morning / day around that area?

One last thing, where would you recommend visiting while in the area in general? We have a wedding to go to in Inveralochy (sp) when we're up there too. So will be travelling over to that way at some point in the week.

Cheers for any help.

Matt.
Old 20 May 2008, 04:38 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF your on SIDC post there or PM fai17 iirc hes fisherman.

S!
Old 20 May 2008, 04:44 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stalked!
IF your on SIDC post there or PM fai17 iirc hes fisherman.

S!
Yup on SIDC. Will drop him a PM

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 20 May 2008, 05:31 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
I'm coming up to Scotland for a weeks holiday from Saturday and we're staying around the Loch Ness area. I want to bring my fishing gear with me but have heard the licencing laws for fishing are different from down here.

Can anyone shed some light for me please? Also do any of you know where i could go Salmon fishing for the morning / day around that area?

One last thing, where would you recommend visiting while in the area in general? We have a wedding to go to in Inveralochy (sp) when we're up there too. So will be travelling over to that way at some point in the week.

Cheers for any help.

Matt.

Matt,

Most of the good rivers are permit controlled, however you can buy day permits quite easily from the various parties that control the beats. Just ask - one of the locals will know where to get one.

I'd recommend the River Spey - some info here

Speycasting tuition, guiding and fishing holidays with Ian Neale

And specifically

Mortimers of Speyside - Fishing Permits

Grantown is about 35 minutes south of Inverness.

Aside from that there are a number of Rivers east of inverness, and of course the River Ness iself.

As for where to go in general, that depends what you want. Nairn has a fantastic beach. You can go dolphin watching on the Moray Firth. The Cairngorms and Abernethy forest are fantastic for biking/hiking and wildlife.

Culloden battlefield is worth a visit, and there are a few castles dotted about.

All within an hour's drive from Inverness

Inverness, Loch Ness & Nairn

Aviemore and the Cairngorms

Black Isle Mid Ross & Easter Ross

Should be good for a start

Last edited by Devildog; 20 May 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 20 May 2008, 05:31 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

dont think Fai travels that far north to fish TBH, he`s based in glasgow so its a fair treck up there

Inverallochy is only 15 minutes away from me, would have come along for a chat and said hello but im due back offshore soon
Old 21 May 2008, 09:49 AM
92typeRA
Scooby Regular

forget the fishing gear when you see the roads up there you wont want to fish..
the river Dee is ment to be a good river to fish (go get yaself some off the queen salmon )..
then therse the spay.
you have the tweed aswell (not sure what its like now )...

ive got a few hardcore fishermen in ma work iff i remember i will pick there brains for you

have a look hear

Fishing

Last edited by 92typeRA; 21 May 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 21 May 2008, 10:54 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys

Not fished for a while so really looking forward to it.

Dolphin Watching sounds good. Will be taking the camera with the big lens so hopefully may get a pic or 2.

Looking forward to doing a bit of walking too. nothing too serious as will have the toddler with us. don't fancy carrying him ben nevis or anything.

Looking forward to seeing a few castles as well. the wedding we have to go to is in a castle. not sure which one. somewhere near inverallochy.

Would love to be taking the scoob for the roads. but am taking the family motor. was working out how much it'd cost me in fuel to just get to Scotland in the scoob, let alone what i'd spend on fuel over the whole week. So the 1.4 fiesta it is

Trending Topics

Old 21 May 2008, 11:24 AM
92typeRA
Scooby Regular

iff the scoobs not going make sure you take the fishing gear .....

hope you get the weather for it mate . just watch out for the Grizzly bears and those little haggis things when fishing. thay dont like you takeing there fish
Old 21 May 2008, 07:49 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
Cheers Guys

Not fished for a while so really looking forward to it.

Dolphin Watching sounds good. Will be taking the camera with the big lens so hopefully may get a pic or 2.

Looking forward to doing a bit of walking too. nothing too serious as will have the toddler with us. don't fancy carrying him ben nevis or anything.

Looking forward to seeing a few castles as well. the wedding we have to go to is in a castle. not sure which one. somewhere near inverallochy.

Would love to be taking the scoob for the roads. but am taking the family motor. was working out how much it'd cost me in fuel to just get to Scotland in the scoob, let alone what i'd spend on fuel over the whole week. So the 1.4 fiesta it is

LOL

Matt, is it a castle near Inverallochy or is it Invelochy Castle?

Reason I ask is that you mention Ben Nevis, which is near Inverlochy Castle but fookin miles from Inverallochy

As for the dolphin watching - if you book a boat trip (in advance) you won't need a big lens. If you're lucky, you can practically touch them

You can also sometimes get pictures of Dolphins off the beach at Nairn

PS - the River Tweed as mentioned above is at the other end of Scotland

ps - If you tell me where you are staying more precisely than "the Loch Ness area" it will be easier to give you more info.

Loch Ness is pretty big!

Last edited by Devildog; 21 May 2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 25 May 2008, 12:38 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

If your based at the Inverness end of Loch Ness, the River Ness can be pretty good. Also might be worth a trip to a small place called Cannich. Some good fishing to be had there.

If your likely to be at the Fort William end of Loch Ness, then I'd recommend the rivers, Roy, and Spean.

Have a good time. Take Midge repellent!! :-)