Hello from a newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2008, 11:38 AM
geo17
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from a newbie...

Hi Guys,

1st post on the forums, and as I am from the Central belt I thought I would pop it in this section to introduce myself. I am hoping for some information in return!

Don't yet own a Subaru, but have been acitvely seeking one for the past few weeks. I could think of no better place to ask for advice than on here.

Looking for a 2nd hand WRX, around an 04 plate so would probably be the "blob" eye model if I am not mistaken (sorry, dont know chassis number).

Any tips on what I should be looking out for in a 2nd hand Scooby, apart from the obvious service history, mileage etc... What model I would be best to go with, any desireable features I should be on the lookout for, etc...?

Thanks in advance guys, and I look forward to your responses!

Rgds,
George
Old 15 April 2008, 01:25 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Hi chap. There is an SIDC meet tonight in Stirling if you fancy heading along to that. You'll get much debate on classic v newage there!

Personally i like the blob wagon i have. Things to watch for are pretty standard, dents and stone chips are a biggie. The car uses very thing steel so dents easy (bonnet is aluminium so look for marks there and Subaru don't actually pain the cars, they simply show them a picture of what a painted car looks like and it does its best seriously, blue with a white primer = chips showing up like nothing.

check for service history of course and see if the reciepts are there for the work. the handbook states what should have been done, make sure the reciept says the same. Also watch out for wworn shocks at the back!

5t.
Old 17 April 2008, 01:26 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Good afternoon Sir,

Perhaps a bit out your price range however if you fancy getting a Scooby that will make you **** yourself, try mine!!!:

Subaru : REDUCED WRX STI TYPE UK WITH OPTIONAL TSL 333 PACK
Old 19 April 2008, 01:07 AM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

as fivetide said look for paint chips-if it doesnt have any its been resprayed! the rear shock issue is mainly on stis so you should be ok with a wrx. if you get one with mods try to make sure the owner knows what hes been messing with,dump valves and induction kits look and sound great but the wrong ones can cause big problems! with a blobeye you shouldnt have any real issues as long as its been treated with some sympathy and properly serviced. for a more in depth and friendly view,not to mention some local cars for sale check out www.scottishscoobies.co.uk
and one final warning,these cars and moding them are seriously addictive and can damage your sanity/bank balance
cheers Dave
Old 20 April 2008, 09:47 PM
bobo487
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate,Thought you might be interested,i'm selling my WRX STI its an 2003,its posted on the scotland part of the forum. Full Prodrive package the lot on it,very clean and tidy car. Let me know what you think? Don't let the distance put you off,will travel for genuine buyers. Have a look anyway?

Cheers John
Old 20 April 2008, 11:03 PM
geo17
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for all the replys guys, I will keep those things in mind.

I took a trip to Ian Grieves in Camelon today, spoke to the salesman and he took a note of my requirements. Hopefully they will get something that suits my needs soon.

Had a look at the 2 STI's posted above. Great looking cars but the insurance could be an issue, hence the reason im looking for a WRX. I'll be OK as I am a member of the IAM but my Missus is only 22 so my insurance company might not like that too much!!

I'll be keeping an eye on here regurarly so will drop you's a note now and again. Might pop along to one of the meets if its reasonably local as well...

Thanks,
George

Last edited by geo17; 20 April 2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling :)
Old 23 April 2008, 12:23 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by geo17
Cheers for all the replys guys, I will keep those things in mind.

I took a trip to Ian Grieves in Camelon today, spoke to the salesman and he took a note of my requirements. Hopefully they will get something that suits my needs soon.

Had a look at the 2 STI's posted above. Great looking cars but the insurance could be an issue, hence the reason im looking for a WRX. I'll be OK as I am a member of the IAM but my Missus is only 22 so my insurance company might not like that too much!!

I'll be keeping an eye on here regurarly so will drop you's a note now and again. Might pop along to one of the meets if its reasonably local as well...

Thanks,
George
I woul avoid the dealers - you will only pay over the odds. Buy private and get a much better deal.

Trending Topics

Old 23 April 2008, 11:47 PM
scoobyseller555
Scooby Regular

buy with confidence from your local dealer...........i should know as i am the sales controller in Ian Grieve's,buying privately is a mine field if you dont know what your looking for.
Gav