Notices

WIY: Green Bugeye, Ecutek, Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2006, 06:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WIY: Green Bugeye, Ecutek, Edinburgh

Had a friendly blast with a green bugeye with morettes (or however they are spelt). It had Ecutek written on the back so it was probably remapped. I was caught in trafficlights and had a very breif conversation with the driver and I think he possibly posts here.

Overall it was about even but I has a passenger and the roof down (knocks 5mph of terminal at crail). I had the opportunity to put the roof up but having come past as standard blobeye last week roof down I wanted to see how a modified one would fair. I could keep up but its doubtful I could have passed it so your mods are working

Next time I'll be on my own with the roof and window up ;o)

Cheers,

Kenny
P.S. Mods, dry them - nobody else uses this part of the forum anyway
Old 09 October 2006, 01:23 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Another wonderful saxo boy post!!
Old 09 October 2006, 01:52 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry - perhaps I misinterpreted his smile and cheerful jests. Perhaps he was really thinking who is this chav in an S2000 trying to force me off the road and endanger me. Perhaps when I asked him if he posted on Scoobynet or SIDC and he replied yes I should have made no effort to have a friendly convesation with the guy to find out what mods he has, etc, etc.

lol,
Old 09 October 2006, 04:21 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

It was me !

Agreed, it was good fun, and yes, you seemed to keep up pretty well !

Noticed you backed off towards the end ~ was that cute wee blonde screaming at you to slow down ?!

Anyway, good fun blast, no real danger to other roadusers on a fairly quiet half mile slip road / motorway, just a good laugh !

Nice motor by the way mate !

Andy Mc

Time to head out on slower transport (but still fun!). Out on mountain bike now.
Old 09 October 2006, 08:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Nice motor by the way mate !
Thanks andy

Noticed you backed off towards the end ~ was that cute wee blonde screaming at you to slow down ?!
LOL, I felt I'd pushed her (the woman not the car) as far as I could reasonbly get away with and also the drag at those speeds with the roof down was getting crazy. Also, IIRC I closed in on your bumper a little and figured you'd lifted first

you seemed to keep up pretty well!
Yeah I called a draw to my g/f before we set off. As I said above I passed a standard 04 WRX last week with the roof down but with a passenger and the likelyhood of some modification to your car I knew it wouldn't be the same this time. I had time to put my roof up at the lights but figured it would just be far too obvious and proabably a little sad

What mods do you have on you scooby? I heard what sounded like a MAF killing VTA dumpvalve I took my chances with one too

I've got a spoon intake snorkle, K&N filter and a T1-R single exit exahust with decat pipe. 1/4 in 13.75 seconds at 103mph.
Old 09 October 2006, 11:50 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Hey Kenny,

I reckon I may have backed off as I started to worry about the dodgy tyres that were on the car at the time - a worn Mich, a Nexen and 2 "Linglongs" !! That's what the car was shod with when I bought it. Today I bought 4 Toyo T1R's - and the car feels much more composed !

As you guessed, the car's been remapped. Was done by Andy F. This plus a centre pipe decat has given it 273 bhp, although on a heavier car than yours.
Just as important was the Whiteline ARB and droplinks together with Prodrive springs. Altogether a much better car than the one I bought 3 months ago !

What do you reckon your bhp is ? And what does a spoon intake snorkle do ?
~ induction kit ?

What was did your g/f say after that by the way ?!!

Andy

PS The Bailey's DV was the bright idea of the previous owner !!

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 10 October 2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10 October 2006, 01:44 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Standard my car will have 240bhp. It probably doesn't have more than about 5bhp more but the torque is a little thicker throughout vtec with the T1-R. The spoon snorkel is basically a glorified carbon hose that plugs into the airbox to direct a feed of air from the front of the car into it.

273bhp is useful - I manged to slowly creep up another scoobynet members 03 STI (260bhp) once we got above 60mph so even roof up I'd guess we'd be pretty even-stevens. I'm actually amazed you have that much power and didn't walk away from me roof down - I must have caught a favourable tail wind

What was did your g/f say after that by the way
She was ok - I'd prior warned her that I fancied the scooby in front was going to floor it

I used to have a ~275bhp classic scooby that was 0.3 of a second faster over the 1/4 mile than my Honda with similar trap speeds. Once running the S2000 is as quick as my scooby was but it can't compete in 1st and 2nd gear or in the wet, etc

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2006, 10:13 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Does the S2000 handle nicely (I'm guessing it would). Do you notice any difference in dry weather grip in it compared to your Scoob ?

I love Hondas too ! Had a met green Prelude Vtec for 8 yrs ! Great car, looked good. Sadly as it got old too many niggly things went wrong so it was time to get rid. The Vtec came in on mine at 4900 revs and the rev limiter was at 7800. A bit higher on the S2000 ? Do you find the power delivery to be "on/off" ? Didn't find the Prelude too bad with it being a 2.2 and it sounded great as the revs rose anyway !

What gear were you in as we exited the R/A ? I was in 2nd, off boost, then floored it (First would have been a better idea, but I love that "spool up" kind of feeling ).
Old 10 October 2006, 10:57 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The S2000 handling is excellent and much more 'fun' than my scooby was. In dry weather on most main roads it is better than the scooby but step off into a b or c class road and the 4wd is too much to live with. I tried taking on an STI over the hill from Drem to Haddington and there was just no way I could keep up. Three times I had to catch the back end I was trying so hard to get the power down early but he was full throttle usually before the apex. The road was too tight, too broken and too dusty for the Honda - 100% scooby/evo territory

Vtec starts at 6000rpm and she redlines at 8950rpm. It's a common misconseption that they rev to 9000rpm but in reality they don't quite make it. The power deliver is a little on off but not as on-off as 'on boost/off boost'. I find it to have useful enough pull off-vtec for moving you around comfortably in traffic but there is no question you need vtec for serious progress. I'd be happy to take you for a run in it sometime so you can see, feel and hear for yourself

I was in 1st gear rolling just off vtec - we were doing about 15mph and 2nd gear vtec doesn't start until about 40mph so I'd have been totally destroyed if I had been in 2nd at the start. I lost a little time on the 1st-2nd change as the back end kicked out and I had to lift for a split second.
Old 10 October 2006, 11:03 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

That's interesting. Given that I've just come from the Prelude 3 months ago,
I'm still getting used to the Scoob ~ ie it's 4wd and the extra power after mapping.

Got any tips on how to make the best use of it in the bends ? And will frequent launching kill the clutch ?! (Only did it once and smelt burnt clutch, which could be pricey !).
Old 10 October 2006, 11:55 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Launching a scooby depends on its exact state of tune. With a full decat on the TD04 turbo mines had eary spool up and little lag so I could get away with pinging the clutch on launch from about 4500rpm. Others need much more brutal treatment and in general that sort of driving doesn't do the clutch favours.

As for the corners I'm not the best to advise as I never feel I really got as good in the scooby as I could have. Generally you need to keep power (to varying degrees) on all the time and work the 4WD in that manner. In the S2000 I'll ofen lift to adjust the attitude of the car and then gently feed the power back in - you probably wouldn't need to do that in the same situation in the scooby!
Old 10 October 2006, 12:09 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Not sure I'm likely to "launch" very much at all ! Don't want to have to replace too many clutches !! Mine spools between 2000 and 2600 (or at least the DV is doing its Number 44 bus impersonation at that point !). I suppose a launch from 3000 revs would at least have you starting on boost then ?

Got any pics of your Scoob ? What kind of classic did you have ? How long have you had the S2000 (and how can you afford it !).
Old 10 October 2006, 12:51 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The S2000 is a lot cheaper to run than the scooby was. Services are seldom expensive, its a little better on fuel, better on consumables and the service intervals are 9000 miles or 12 months. Value wise its only worth about £15,500

I can't find any pics of my scooby on this computer. There are some out there on the scoobynet from years ago but I wouldn't know where to start looking. It was a DBM MY99 with MY00 alloys, clear indicators and otherwise standard looking.

If you've not been to Crail you should give that a go in the new season. They guys over a SIDC seem to arrange journeys up every now and again and they are a friendly bunch. It's the best way to perfect launches and to see what your car can do I went in my scoob and did numerous launches and the car was fine
Old 10 October 2006, 12:59 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Fine : as in you never had to replace a clutch ? how long did you have the car.
What's a DBM ? a Jap import ? (Apologies for being a Scooby philistine !!).

What do they have up at Crail ? It's in East Fife isn't it ?? Am guessing they don'y have a circuit ? Ever been to Knockhill ?
Old 10 October 2006, 01:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

CRAIL

Crail is a 1/4er mile track for straight-line drag racing. You line up next to another car, the lights change and you are off. It tells you your 60ft time, your 1/4er mile time and your speed as you crossed the line (trap speed).

My scooby did 13.401 seconds at 103mph
My S2000 did 13.750 seconds at 103mph

DBM = Dark Blue Metallic
My car was a UK car and I had it for 1.5 years and a total of 30,000 miles. Despite having 60bhp more than standard it was always reliable and the clutch was fine even when I sold it. I've been to knockhill and had a pax lap in John Banks scooby but I've never driven it myself. I'm scared I push it too far and have an expensive off!
Old 10 October 2006, 01:48 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Those sound good times. Doubt my Scoob would beat your S2000 time, but assuming I could launch the thing properly I guess it would be close. Your Scoob would have been quicker than mine since it was lighter (saloon I'm guessing) and had the same power. Mine's certainly quick wnough to be fun though !

The idea of doing some sort of driver training at Knockhill sounds more fun. I was a Marshal there for 6 years. I was on the track a couple of times and wouldn't mind having some tution there. I'm guessing John Banks Scoob is a 400 bhp monster ?! Where is he based ?

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 10 October 2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10 October 2006, 02:56 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

John's scoob peaked at something like 460bhp and was in many states of tune over the years. He bought an e46 M3 but didn't keep it long before he bought an Evo MR340 - he lives in fife My mate did a driver day with an instructor in his elise and he said he really enjoyed it and benefited from it.

If you get the launch right I'd fancy you could beat my time but I expect I might be very slowly pulling you back in towards the end. This is often the case with 4wd's at crail. They can often beat me bacause i can't real them in quick enough to pass them before we run out of road. I do miss the crazy 0-30mph time of the scoob especially in the wet with all four wheels spinning
Old 10 October 2006, 03:32 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Yeah ! I pull onto Calder Road coming from Saughton on the way home to Balerno every day. Love it when I can put my foot down in the wet - Have both lanes of dual carriageway to slither about in if it's clear of traffic !!

What tyre pressures did you use in your Scoob Kenny ?

And did your mate do the driver day in his own car at Knockhill ?
Old 10 October 2006, 04:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, I can't even remember what tyre pressures I use in the Honda let alone the scooby

I think the day starts off with a few laps and some training on techniques followed by some more laps where you continously refine your technique. At the end the instructor took the helm and showed him how its really done (you can refuse this). It was all done in my mates own car and cost something like £90
Old 10 October 2006, 07:17 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
LOL, I can't even remember what tyre pressures I use in the Honda let alone the scooby

I think the day starts off with a few laps and some training on techniques followed by some more laps where you continously refine your technique. At the end the instructor took the helm and showed him how its really done (you can refuse this). It was all done in my mates own car and cost something like £90
Was this at Knockhill ? Did he have to replace tyres, brakes etc after it (that's what puts me off track days a bit by the way).
Old 10 October 2006, 08:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

No because the elise is 730kg and therefore very light on tyres and brakes. That was the issue that put me right off track days in the scooby. I knew I'd want to push it pretty hard and on SIDC events I've attended I've seen people come into the pits with chunks of tredblock ripped out and have heard of pads being cooked in one night. If you can moderate your own enthusiasm then go for it but I know for a fact I'd start pushing the boundaries after a few laps.

The S2000 can probably survive a hard event but it'll still take its toll on the consumables. In some ways I might be tempted to take it on near the end of my tyre life but unfortunately the rear-end becomes a wild-boar cannon when low on rubber

Probably better and more fun to spend £1000 on a hot-hatch
Old 11 October 2006, 11:07 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Yep, that's what I thought - if you wrecked your discs, pads and tyres then you might not get a lot of change out of £1000 ! For a days fun ? Still, will no doubt do it one day !

I think I spoke to John Burns on Snet 3 months ago when I first came on after buying the Scoob. He said the Standard Bug was a very, very slow car !! Might have encouraged me to get it mapped (which was indeed very worthwhile).

So Kenny, who else on Snet lives in the Edinburgh area and what kind of Scoobs/other marques do they run around in ?
Old 11 October 2006, 11:21 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

You will do your front pass. tyre in at Knockhill,(3 if you really try), a set of pads every couple of events, and general wear and tear, when it comes to resale remember loads of people see Knockhill on postings etc. so remember your car if distinctive enough. Great fun tho.Its only money.
Old 11 October 2006, 11:25 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

A bog standard bugeye is sadly a very slow car (relative to expection)(its still quick)!! The S2000 screams past them with utter ease which is a pretty dissapointing show from a turbo-charged subaru. However, they can be modified cheaply and easily if you so desire

There are quite a few Scoobynetters in edinburgh and they meet up every now and again for drinks, etc. I've not been in years as I don't have a scooby anymore but most of them can be found over at SIDC. This Scottish section of SN used to be vibrant and busy with threads but there was some massive fight over moderation (one that I know little about and didn't get involved in) so everyone Scottish moved to SIDC.

For general Subaru chat and advice stick with Scoobynet but for local issues SIDC is the place to be and Andy F still posts on there when he's got time. You could do a lot worse than trawling through General Technical in here - lots of knowledge to be picked up. For example your DV, whilst sounding good, does bleed measured air from the system meaning what your MAF sensor tells the ECU and what air is actually in the system differs. I accepted this risk and ran a VTA but it can cause bore-wash.
Old 11 October 2006, 12:23 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

cheers Wheelshopo.

Enjoyed reading some of your old posts Kenny. I'd reckon Evo rather than Supra (but then I've only driven the Evo !).

And you'd like to **** a 16 yr old lass
Old 11 October 2006, 01:33 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LMAO

I can be quite vocal on here

I had the opportunity to drive the Supra for a day and it was fantastic but just not the sort of car for me at this time. If money permits I'll look at the Evo option in the Spring but I strongly suspect my flat redevelopment is going to sap more finances than I'd hoped meaning I might need to sell the S2000 and get something for around £10,000. I've already been checking pistonheads and P1 STI-5s can be had for that money......
Old 11 October 2006, 04:03 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

There are no bad options there !

I don't have much spare cash for cars at the mo. Just bought the Scoob and spent another £1400 making it the car I wanted in the first place ! Most obvious upgrade in the future would be a bigger turbo, but I'm not keen on significant lag and worry about my engine blowing up !

Still, I have my eyes on a choccie coloured leather suite, which is likely to come first !
Old 11 October 2006, 04:22 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The best person to talk about for all aspects of Scooby tuning is Andy F and given that he's local to us it's even more of a bonus. He'll keep you right in terms of performance and also safety (i.e. engine blowing up)
Old 11 October 2006, 04:37 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Cool.

See ya around sometime Kenny. Don't be offended if I don't always wanna play - if there's lots of traffic around or the weather's **** like today I won't (don't want to look a ned on my drive back from work I do every day ! )

Now, about that 16 yr old...................
Old 11 October 2006, 05:24 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Lol, don't worry about it I have the same attitude - I don't always take on every opportunity and especially not if the roads are dodgy or too busy. Most of my driving is in a 1.something Fiesta beater these days so you can beat me without changing out of 5th

Quick Reply: WIY: Green Bugeye, Ecutek, Edinburgh