Notices

Bloody Hell...Detonating big time

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 09:26 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bloody Hell...Detonating big time

Had car out for the first decent run since fitting Knocklink,on the m/way when cruising at 75 floor it and wholly f*ck all lights up within a split second, done it few times .When i first fitted it i tested around local roads ,it seemed fine giving it WOT thro the gears ,2 greens max.,the cars sat in my garage for the last week 'til tonights run. Put £20 optimax and a 1/3 tin Pro boost in before run.
What are the first things to check for.
cheers Colin (95 WRX,de cat Magnex from front cat back, K&N panel, Turbo XS blow off valve)
Old 09 June 2004, 09:54 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Added more Pro boost for return journey ,still the same. AFR just hitting the R in 'Rich',
didn't catch boost reading .
Old 09 June 2004, 10:12 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

I would defo try NF first as I have heard a few peeps say that proboost is ...... well cack basically.
I would deffo get it checked with someone that knows what there doing ,JVS is nice and local. Give em a shout to see what they think.
Co-incidently anyone know if JVS have a select monitor so they can give my bugeye a going over to see if they can shed any light on the overboost prob I have been having
Spooks

Soz for the mini hijack o yer thread
Old 09 June 2004, 10:31 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Gettin NF tomorrow Spooks fi P.C. Sighthill. Gonna have a root aboot under the bonnet tomorrow,dont understand how it was fine the last time i drove then suddenly ,**** me it was all lights at about 4500rpm.
Dont know about JVS (select monitor),was there last week too,give Pete a phone in the mornin ...set 1/2 hour aside for phone call Pete talks for Scotland as my last but one mobi bill will testify
Colin
Old 09 June 2004, 10:42 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

what i believe you experienced is Transitional Detonation When pootling along at 75,on a constant throttle the ECU is fuelling in "Closed loop mode" When you nail it the ECU goes into "Open loop mode" predominatly takin readings from MAF,TPS and MAP sensor

Its just the split second youve accelarated and the ECU is trying to advance the spark but the injectors havent started to flow enough juice quick enough

Two things cured mine 1. An extra bottle of Millers 2.Bigger fuel pump

Hope you cure this as i know it pi**ed me off,nearly every time i gunned it a split second of Det and then hee-haw up the rest of the revs

Cheers Grant
Old 09 June 2004, 10:59 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Grant it done the same under non motorway conditions on the way back, after adding more proboost, giving it minor Wot up thro the gears.The motorway cruising then foot to the boards scenario sounded spot on if it happened under different conditions aswell.
Maybe i've split a pipe or not refitted something correctly after fitting sensor last week?
Old 10 June 2004, 12:58 AM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Could be a bad tank of optimax. I only ever quarter to half fill mine, as sometimes I get yellows on the same road, same driving style, just a diff tank of fuel. I chuck in some NF and fill up somewhere else ASAP and it's usually fine. It definitely differs tank to tank.

HTH

Dave
Old 10 June 2004, 09:32 AM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

just checking, will it be alright to fire in NF ontop of the proboost that i put in last night, there is about £20 fuel left in it.

Ran 2 import Scoobys before both without any extra gauges ,no octane booster (except for track days) without a problem/care ,with this car I'm a freakin nervous wreck.... Gauges...huh!
Colin
Old 10 June 2004, 10:20 AM
weeb
Scooby Regular

i have a 93 wrx import and i get det quite alot too, i get magor det when running optimax in 3rd to 5th, i dont use any octane booster, the det is only minor when i use bp ultima. can i just ask what NF is???

Old 10 June 2004, 11:00 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous Formula - octane booster
Old 10 June 2004, 02:01 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

and it works a treat whole bottle,6 ron ontop of the proboost last night .Filled her up wi Optimax at different stn. Caned it up to 95/100mph only one green flickering on knocklink ,pulling like a train ....& so it should at running at 105 ish ron!
Suppose the next step ideally would be a Scoobyecu 'specially since I want a de-cat down pipe fitted.Anything else i can do to stop it running so lean?
cheers Colin

Last edited by C. Jay. k.; 10 June 2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10 June 2004, 02:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

so did you use a full bottle of NF in a tank of Optimax???
Old 10 June 2004, 03:30 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Full bottle of NF fired in then topped up to full with Optimax, still had a good 1/2 tank with 1/3 Tin proboost in fi last night (which obviously wasn't up to much as car was lean as hell ,all lights on K.L.showing) going really well now with only one green flickering on WOT.
Old 10 June 2004, 04:10 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

****, that'll start to get expensive if you use a bottle of NF per tank. I thought you only need small amounts to get some good increase in fuel quality?

Stefan
Old 10 June 2004, 05:02 PM
weeb
Scooby Regular

where can u get nf and how much is it???
Old 10 June 2004, 05:19 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Put whole lot in just to put my mind at rest really, make sure nothin major was wrong with car,hopefully just dodgy fuel with apparently crap Silkolene Proboost. Supposed to get 3 or 4 tank fulls with 1 bottle of NF,I'll start cutting it back on the next fuel up.
WEEB it is £13 a bottle(mind 3/4 shots per bottle) from www.pentlandcomponents.com ,i got his last 2 bottles today from the Sighthill place they have another couple of places in Edinburgh, Nae doubt there is other stockists about ,sure the guys on here will let ye know.
Colin
Old 10 June 2004, 06:16 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C. Jay. k.
Put whole lot in just to put my mind at rest really, make sure nothin major was wrong with car,hopefully just dodgy fuel with apparently crap Silkolene Proboost. Supposed to get 3 or 4 tank fulls with 1 bottle of NF,I'll start cutting it back on the next fuel up.
WEEB it is £13 a bottle(mind 3/4 shots per bottle) from www.pentlandcomponents.com ,i got his last 2 bottles today from the Sighthill place they have another couple of places in Edinburgh, Nae doubt there is other stockists about ,sure the guys on here will let ye know.
Colin
Hi Colin

It depends on your car's requirements - you may well get more than 3 or 4 tanks out of one bottle. It's a matter of experimenting.

It would be interesting to see what sort of dosages everyone else uses.

Incidentally, got hold of the distributor today, so should have more stock in very soon.

Thanks,

Richard @ Pentland
Old 10 June 2004, 06:24 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Well that would make a differance,geez a full bottle LMAO will pop and bang nicely that will
Glad ya noticed a differance, agree with Grant about the fuel pump, well worth changing as a matter of precaution. Will be doing that meself once I get ma bank balace in the black again.
Spooks
Old 10 June 2004, 06:41 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Aye.... bank balance been an expensive 4 weeks or so tyres,knocklink, geometry set up...What kind of fuel pump do people advise ,then what mods to compliment it ?

Yer right Spooks the car is fairly lively
Cheers Richard looks like you've got a regular customer

Colin

just a way for a wee tootle doon to Homebase....any excuse eh!
Old 10 June 2004, 08:13 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thank you Colin

Regarding dosages, hopefully this should help: