Notices

How do I deal with malicious calls?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2004, 06:17 AM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I deal with malicious calls?

Folks

I'm getting a lot of abusive calls lately on my mobile and I'm wanting to know what can be done. Last night he made a mistake of texting me and so I've got his mobile number. Tried phoning the police but they told me to contact my service provider. Phoned Vodafone up and they said it should be police matter?

Was thinking of posting his number up here and get evryone to text or phone him, you know, give him a taste of his own medicine!
Old 20 May 2004, 06:55 AM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Initially call your service provider and then report to the police, so that they have a record of this happening. The service provider can then check calls made to your mobile and build a case if it goes as far as the police investigating it.

Quick solution is to change your mobile and only give details to friends and family, unless you use it for business purposes.

...John
Old 20 May 2004, 08:20 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Depends on the nature of the calls I suspect. If you are worried for your safety then get down to the "safety camera shop" and demand some action from either the cunstable (sp ) on the desk or his boss. If it's just some tw@t with your number then Vodaphone should be able to sort it !
Old 20 May 2004, 09:30 AM
opelcorsa
Scooby Regular

had this one myself a few years ago when the guy concearned left his number,I got a mate to arrange a meeting regarding some work as i knew what he did for a living.

My mate arranged a time and a place, and the rest was history no more phone calls.

Downside was i ended up in court for serious assault!!!

Dont get caught.
Old 20 May 2004, 10:17 AM
trance
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hi,

Happened to me a couple of years ago. Phone your service provider right after you get a phone call (every call). I think you need something like 4-5 calls registered with the service provider as hox calls. Go to the police and tell them you have been getting hox calls. Phone your service provider back and tell them you have told the police. Its up to you how you go from there, and how serious the calls are, but you will get your phone number changed free of charge by your service provider. The service provider will have a record of the numbers being made to your mobile, you can then ask the police to contact your service provider and trace the number, your service provider will not give the hox number to you!!. I tried that one!!!. Good luck mate, hope it pans out.
Old 20 May 2004, 10:46 AM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Wink

My wife got a hoax call on Saturday on her mobile - pretty sure it was just random number punching.
But the **** left his number.
So I gave it 5 minutes then I called him back. Told him I'd had his number, name and address traced; and what would happen if he tried it again.

Should do the trick.

Davd
Old 20 May 2004, 12:16 PM
Hepy
Scooby Regular

Post his number up here so we can bombard him with text messages.
Old 20 May 2004, 01:18 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

When someone calls you on a landline and you pick up the phone, if you don't hang up properly (or at all) once your conversation is over, aren't they still connected?

Equally, this should work on a mobile shouldn't it (?) so next time you get a call, answer the phone and don't hang up. That way it'll cost them a fortune!
Old 20 May 2004, 03:03 PM
west lothian scooby
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Subarstar
When someone calls you on a landline and you pick up the phone, if you don't hang up properly (or at all) once your conversation is over, aren't they still connected?

Equally, this should work on a mobile shouldn't it (?) so next time you get a call, answer the phone and don't hang up. That way it'll cost them a fortune!

it is the other way round, if someone calls you and you hang up, unless they also hang up then the call will still be on going.
had this happen to us, one of my wifes dizzy friends accidentaly rung our number when her mobile was in her bag, we couldnt make any calls for 30 mins as we couldnt hang up all we could hear was her doing her shopping round safeway.

stevie