Notices

Martial Arts

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2004, 03:46 PM
felstometer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Martial Arts

I'm interested in starting doing a martial art, and live in Glasgow. Don't really know much about the different types or what there is available roundabout here. Does anyone do a martial art round here and have any recommendations? I don't want to become Bruce Lee, just want to feel I can defend myself if need be.
Old 21 April 2004, 04:24 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There used to be a Jeet Kuno Do school just off the Expressway next to the motorbike shop.

Loads of others, Aikido, Jujitsu, Judo, Karate, Muthay, etc..

Depends what interests you. If you like the western boxing style of training, then kickboxing/Muthay would be good. I would suggest asking the uni's for a list of classes and if there open to the general public.

Stefan
Old 21 April 2004, 04:43 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Felstometer, I train in kuk sool won which is a Korean Martial Art system and it tought by Pu Sab a Nim Don McKenzie who - convienently for you - is from Glasgow and has a Glasgow class as well as his Edinburgh class. To say the man is a machine is an understatement, he is a very good and patient teacher and is very inspiring and knowledgeable.

I feel martial arts is all about the 'teacher' and many people have said you'd be hard pushed to find a better tutor than Don. Having done Kuk Sool for just over a year now I can see why they say that and our Edinburgh & Glasgow classes get a lot of respect at the Tournament down south each year.

Kuk Sool itself is a traditional martial art and features many things including: joint locking, kicks, punches, pressure point strikes, weaponary, etc, etc, etc. Its an amazing experience the first time Don take your legs from you simply by a well placed pressure point strick to the arm

More details on kuk sool won and also contact details for the Glasgow school Here
Old 21 April 2004, 06:53 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy...

Any contacts for that style in Dundee that you know of?? I couldnt see a school listed on the link provided...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21 April 2004, 07:13 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Sorry grant, as far as I'm aware there isn't a class in the Dundee area. Thurso any good to you - lol
Old 21 April 2004, 07:26 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

lol... I'd be better comin thru to Edinburgh mate!!

Might make the trip to see what its like, although think I will hold on til I get my company car as taking the scoob may be a wee bit extravagent(sp?) due to the poor mpg!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21 April 2004, 07:26 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

i recommend jeet kune do, u will kick *** mate and become a cool streetfighter or tae kwon do