Notices

geometry set-up

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2004, 06:13 PM
brian.c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know of anybody out there who can carry this out on my JDM.I've read of massive improvements to the handling when carried out.Symtoms is its very twitchy on cornering in the wet,back end seems to want to kick out whilst driving slow,no faith in it in the wet while my brothers uk car seems glued to the road.I know of falkland carrying this out but would rather have someone closer to home.
Old 07 January 2004, 06:52 PM
halowrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just had mine done locally for around £60, they put in as close to the TSL settings as they felt was ok for the road..

Difference is huge, I can feel G-force driving it now. Also sounds like you might (if u havent already) want to check tyre pressures.

U dont mention what kind of tyres u have either, they might also be a issue, I had Avons on a Golf Gti once, when I changed the fronts to another brand I had exactly the same prob.

Cant help with a location tho sorry
Old 07 January 2004, 07:30 PM
Kendo
Scooby Regular

Where would i go to find out the best settings for this for road & track ?? ( so i could set it up for road driving , then come track days get the settings changed )
Old 07 January 2004, 07:53 PM
brian.c
Scooby Regular

Got uniroyal rainsport on the front and toyo proxes on the rear,all with good tread,tyre pressure 32psi so assuming thats correct.
Old 07 January 2004, 09:10 PM
Rourkey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Got exact same prob brian as you know, tyres at 32psi also, in the dry it's sound but in the wet i can honestly say im scared of the motor, it's running uniroyal rain sport's all round 215/40/17 and the handling is shocking to say the least, hell my 88 golf gti stick's to the road better, think it's in diar need of a geometery set up just like your self, suspension change's are simply a set of eibach spring's and solid rear drop link's from TSL Mtsp which made a great difference to the old under steer but doesnt help any in the wet.
Any one in the glasgow area that is recomended would be a great help to us boy's. Cheers !!
Old 07 January 2004, 10:25 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Theres a place in/around Bonnybridge that seems to get commendations for its geometry set up - cant remember the name of the them for the life of me......someone on here will know them for sure.

I run Uniroyal Rainsports and they are pretty good in the wet and dry IMO. Will be getting my geometry done in the near future as well.....whats that name again LOL!!
Old 07 January 2004, 10:56 PM
THE DEVIANT
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Pro Grip
Canal Bank Industrial Estate
Seabegs Road
Bonnybridge

Any use?
Old 07 January 2004, 11:43 PM
Rourkey
Scooby Regular

Cheer's very much Marky-san + the Deviant

That's a great help, im sure i have heard the name mentioned before on here and i remember the bloke being happy enough with the job, dont know exactly were it is just yet but i know it's closer than falkland performance so that will do.

Cant belive your running uniroyal's and your happy with them in the wet marky, im shocked with mine it's like a foot on a banana skin and i do prefer to keep my wheel's in a straight line, not confident enough and too much pride in my breif to go wraping it round a lamp post, strange thing is they were good when new but have deteriated as they have worn, i even told Brian to put the uniroyal's on the front of this car coz the missis might loose it on a round about or something, think it need's done asap.

Cheer's again !
Old 07 January 2004, 11:50 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Got Falkland in Glenrothes to do mine with bumpsteer mod.

Do a search on 'bumpsteer' for more information.
Old 08 January 2004, 12:20 AM
Rourkey
Scooby Regular

Cheer's Dougster, I have been to falkland before and was happy with there work and customer service, just a bit of a treck that's all, would need a day off, i'll give them a phone also and see what they say, never heard of bumpsteer mod before but i'll look into it.

Ps, i recognise you and the brief on the pic's off the new year meet, sort of met up with you and some other car's on the way up to the sub owner's day at knockhill year before last, think it was september, we were meant to meet in some car park by the clyde aparently but bladerider got us lost and we ended up meeting in a lay bye up from a shell petrol station that you's were in when we passed, you prob wont remember, all i know is it rained on and off all the way up there but once we got there it just cleared up, turned out not a bad day after all !
Cheer's again mate !
Old 08 January 2004, 03:37 AM
trance
Scooby Regular

Yeah its progrip in bonnybridge. Had mine done there recently. Guy seems to know his stuff. Good bit of kit he has, can do the prodrive set up for you if you want. Spends a good bit of time settting it up right.
Old 08 January 2004, 08:00 PM
Rourkey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well here's one satisfied customer !

Cheer's Trance !
Old 09 January 2004, 12:12 AM
nyquist
Scooby Regular

Progrip are quality: the dude is pretty friendly and really knowledgeable - takes pride and care in his work and has a good bit of banter. He can advise on settings to suite your car and driving style and also can fully test the suspension set up for you.

only problem for me was finding the place!! - was at progrip just at end of november when we had that day of pea soup freezing fog! -and as I was at bo'ness before getting some work done there (dude is ace at custom exhuasts + fabrication) thought i'd get the suspension done whiles in the area.
Incidently sounds of silence are doing deals just now...
www.soundsofsilence.co.uk

shame theres no good facilities like that round here

[Edited by nyquist - 1/9/2004 12:14:29 AM]
Old 09 January 2004, 05:34 PM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

"Got uniroyal rainsport on the front and toyo proxes on the rear"
I think there's a clue there.

Mixing tyre types is a bad idea (been there etc). Its not a problem when shopping but if you're near the limit one type of tyre will always let go before the other. Personally I thought the Toyos were greatly overrated in the wet.

Don't waste money on a geometry setup when you have a dodgy mix of tyres!

Duncan
Old 10 January 2004, 12:34 PM
MarkFTO
Scooby Regular

Kenny Brown in Hillington knows his stuff and should be able to do a good job on your suspension too if thats a bit closer for you.

//\\//\\ark
Old 10 January 2004, 12:54 PM
brian.c
Scooby Regular

cheers kenny thats just a half hour up the road.
Old 10 January 2004, 01:35 PM
Rourkey
Scooby Regular

Du mcfly, think you'll find his name is mark but we know what you mean.
oh and DuncanG if you read my reply you'll find that im running uniroyal's all round and in the wet my handling is s**t too, you dont even get to drive the car anywhere near it's limit, a fiat panda could have me on a corner, and Brian for that matter, something need's done about it coz people are alway's blowing about the sub's handling even in the wet and the only thing left to try is a geometry set up and iv alway's heard good remark's once this is done.
ho Brian phone you later mate !
Old 10 January 2004, 02:53 PM
MarkFTO
Scooby Regular

My mates impreza is now running on uniroyal rainsports all round, he changed over from toyos about 1000miles ago. He prefers them to the toyos in both wet and dry conditions. Will be interesting to see if your geometry changes make you happier with the handling.

//\\//\\ark
Old 10 January 2004, 06:12 PM
JTM
Scooby Regular

Wink

Got a set of eibachs ordered, anyone know if anyone in Edinburgh can fit and set up geometry properly

Cheers

James

Old 11 January 2004, 02:05 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Wink

where abouts in hillington is kenny brown? does he have a phone number i get him on?
Old 11 January 2004, 02:23 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi M8

You also got Star performance in Glenrothes

Cheers Dougie
Old 11 January 2004, 11:14 PM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Rourkey,
Sorry I missed your reply. I havn't used Rainsports, but have heard some bad things about them. I have used the Proxies and they were not that good in the damp. Currently I'm using F1 GSD3 XL in 215/45-17 and they are excellent. The XL is the Xtra-Load version with stiffer sidewalls.

CLCM in Edinburgh have a 4-wheel laser rig.
Old 12 January 2004, 06:43 PM
Mal26
Scooby Regular

Kenneth brown engineering,
36 hepburn road,
block108 Unit 7, hillington industrial estate, G52 4RT
Tel - 0141 882 6757
Old 12 January 2004, 07:31 PM
Rourkey
Scooby Regular

Alrite DuncanG
Just read your reply mate, to start out the uniroyal's were quite good in the wet but as they wore they got worse an worse, it's realie not funny, i got these particular tyres because i thought well we stay in scotland and it is raining most of the time so why not go for a rain tyre, big mistake, think im going to try the F1's out too because there isnt long left on the uni's anyway and i have spoke to a lot of people who say they are minted, still think the geometery is out so i should be jaming after both are done. Cheer's bud !
Old 12 January 2004, 08:31 PM
trance
Scooby Regular

Not been to keeny brown's in awhile, but he did'nt have any laser set up, that's for sure!!. Basic set up if i recall.

gregg
Old 12 January 2004, 08:39 PM
Rourkey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alrite Trance

Your saying basic, dont like that word, think i'll just go for pro grip, speaking to more and more people and he is highly recomended.
Cheer's paul