Notices

Anyone been done on the 50 stretch of the M8?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2003, 12:42 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone been done on the 50 stretch on the M8 recently? Got stopped tonight doing an avg of just over 81mph (2mph less and it would have been a fixed penalty) and was wondering what to expect?

The officers seemed to think I'd get offered a fixed penalty as it was so close to the 30mph range, but something inside tells me that just isn't going to be the case.

Can't complain, it was a more than fair cop - in fact 2 very fair cops who were polite and explained everything clearly, but as I'll probably get no sleep tonight worrying about it figured I'd post up incase anyone has/knows of someone who has been done for similar recently.

BTW, unmarked car, avg between 2 white boxes which was just as well for me.
Old 18 December 2003, 01:08 AM
R6
Scooby Regular

Got caught doing eehh 96mph and got a fixed fine, I not sure, but thought I had read summit about temp speed restrictions, if you caught speeding it was a fixed penalty, just because it is a temp.

Don’t take that for 100%, try 22b.com you might find more on there site.

chris

" Good luck "
Old 18 December 2003, 01:10 AM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Ouch! Unlucky mate - perhaps you could try the "needing to get to a petrol station excuse"?

Was it an unmarked beastie that got you?
Old 18 December 2003, 06:59 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Yep, unmarked Merc, obviously given the public nature of the bbs I am not going to say anything (but it may have been considerably worse - never been on national news before)

The cops did think I'd get away with a fixed penalty (in their opinion it was in not dangerous, just too quick), and I really do have my fingers crossed, but I just can't see it. Should clarify as it wasn't the M8 but the M80 I think - coming towards Glasgow from Cumbernauld you go through 2 30s, then turn right at the roundabout; it was just after the roundabout (so a permanent 50).

I was stupid and deserve whatever I get, have hardly had any sleep thinking - been thinking about it all night.
Old 18 December 2003, 07:37 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Doh.

Unlucky matey. We've all done it i suppose.
Try not to worry too much, as you say, they dont rekon it was dangerous, so i'm sure a fixed penalty will see you ok.

Cant see any worse.

Chin up mate.
Old 18 December 2003, 10:48 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Red face

A mate at work got 6points and £250 for doing 76mph in that 50 limit. Good luck.
Old 18 December 2003, 09:11 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

The limit for that section of road is a pure JOKE ! Even 60 mph would go someway to being sensible. Anyone know why it's so strict ? Rush hour traffic and people coming rom sliproads at peak times ??

The only good bit about it is the nice tight sweeping bend where you can say adios to the d1ckhead in the 316i who's sitting 5mm off your back bumper
Cal

[Edited by Civic Type R - 12/18/2003 9:12:40 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 18 December 2003, 11:19 PM
board
Scooby Regular

How do they get you? I thought the 2 white boxes were for the police to check/calibrate their mileometers/speedo. Will a laser detector like wot comes with the Origin O2 pick this up or do they just go the same speed as you and then log this and you're done?

Good luck.
Old 18 December 2003, 11:32 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

VASCAR I'd guess, just time you between two points. Sounds primative but can be very accurate.

In my limited experience of that road there is often a lot of slow or stationary traffic on it so perhaps that explains the 50 limit? As a visitor I'm usually glad of it to give me time to read the sign posts and get in the right lane :-)
Old 19 December 2003, 07:52 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

It was Vascar, at around midnight with no other traffic on the road. Radar detectors are useless in this scenario.

Thanks Miles, that sort of backs up my fears
Old 19 December 2003, 10:44 AM
board
Scooby Regular

Oh so they time you between 2 points visually with no radar or laser then? (please forgive my ignorance to this)

Sounds like there is a big margin for error in this? Maybe you can contest the actual speed and get less than the 30mph window?

Have you seen these?:
Vascar 5000
Vascar V PLUS

Good luck.
Old 19 December 2003, 12:42 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I go down that road a lot and i agree the limit is a joke it was suposed to be temporary till people knew the road

I CANT DO 50 my car cant go that slow
Old 19 December 2003, 01:22 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

The vascar itself is extremely accurate (it is just distance/time after all) the only error margin is when the operator presses the button to say you've passed the marker. Depending on how far behind they were it might or might not be possible to argue this - i.e. if they were only a few car lengths behind the error is going to be less than a second at each point.

It will probably all be on tape.
Old 19 December 2003, 05:21 PM
my94
Scooby Regular

Got caught doing 93.5mph on the M8 on Sunday(near Livingston).Vascar fitted to an undercover BMW(silver).The police are out in force.........also got followed twice through in Glasgow by one marked and one unmarked car during the week
.The police were cool with me on Sunday........
3 points/£60.........but on leaving their pig car one of them mentioned that it was the third Scooby that day that they had 'done'.
So a be warned...................they hate us and we hate them.
Old 19 December 2003, 05:40 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Robbie,

Bad luck mate. Hope it works out okay...
I've sent you a reply to your e-mail.

Cheers

Rich
Old 19 December 2003, 08:55 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Was that the 3-series unmarked BMW with the flashy lights in the back window? Seen it on the hard shoulder last week... Need to be alert as I'm travelling through that area a lot (although not until after new year now).
Old 19 December 2003, 11:13 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

MY94....

they hate us and we hate them
You have NO idea what you are talking about mate
Old 19 December 2003, 11:43 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

wanna bet!!

An hour and a half it took the donut munchers to find me after I evaded another roadside pull for my reg. plate.

Knock at the door and some icing sugar on the carpet has left me with a £30 fixed penalty and a ridiculously large front plate.

Talizman, I think you may have a knock at your door soon, or do you have immunity?

They didn't even know the capabilities of ANPR when I questioned them, but knew the location of the nearest Greggs Bakery!!
Old 20 December 2003, 12:01 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Hate is a very strong word.

I am a Scooby owner, so it would be a tad hypocritical to say I hated them?

I also doubt that the other 2 Scooby owners in my station "hate" other owners...

What about the many many Scooby owning cops on 5ive-o? Do they hate themselves?

As for do I have immunity....

No, but my car is registered to a ficticious address! That is allowed isn't it?
Old 20 December 2003, 02:28 AM
my94
Scooby Regular

I want to inform u that if they didn't have the cheek to inform me that "I was the third Scooby ''done that day,then I"d have nothing to say on the matter.But,really,if ur friends at the station can't watch their mouths,and imply that they take great pleasure in this fact,then what do u expect me to think.
So away and ****e.
Old 20 December 2003, 02:48 AM
my94
Scooby Regular

Why not accept the fact that a scooby(etc) at 90mph in not as dangerous as some of the ****e drivers on the road at the moment.I consider myself a safe driver........I have no deathwish.......................
Everyday I see life threating driving by bad drivers.I may go fast.......but only if the conditions are right(ie.good weather/clear road).I always spot unsafe vehicles.................my car is checked every week.
Speed I is in reality only an excuse to tax me.Everyone has a different car/driving standard.
If driving with bald tyres was as easy to tax as speeding,then all the **** drivers that don't even understand how an engine works would be targeted by the law.
Lets face it,speed is not the issue.........TAX is.
3 million extra speeding fines at £60 a pop.........this is the extra revenue expected this year from an increase in fines due to speed traps in 2004.
Also,what better way to get the roads cleared and everyone back on public transport.............3/6/9/12...........no points left:-(

I consider Fiat Punto's driving 2inches from the back of my car and watching my speedo every 10 secs far more dangerous than me going over an out of date 70mph limit.
Rant over.
Old 20 December 2003, 09:15 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

You can come down off of your soap box now!

I'm not entirely sure who you are retorting at, as you saw fit to address no particular individual in your posts, but I'll reply anyway.

if ur friends at the station can't watch their mouths,and imply that they take great pleasure in this fact,then what do u expect me to think
I didn't realise that you were able to put 2 and 2 together and get 27? because it certainly wasn't my "friends" who "done" you, as you flippantly suggest, as firstly, I am not in traffic, and secondly, the traffic are not my "friends"

And as I mentioned, there is probably a higher ratio of Scooby owners to cops than most other occupations! I personally know of heaps in my force, not to mention the tons of guys on 5ive-o, so to suggest that cops hate Scooby owners is as childish as your posts suggest that you are!

Also, nice to see you are keeping it on an adult level....
So away and ****e
Whatever that means???

Why not accept the fact that a scooby(etc) at 90mph in not as dangerous as some of the ****e drivers on the road at the moment
Are you assuming that you know what I deem to be dangerous???
I "accept" perfectly well, what is dangerous and what is not and I don't recall suggesting that what you did was dangerous, so grow up, and go back out chasing your next 3 points!
The sooner the likes of you hit the magic 12, the safer the rest of us will be!

Look on the bright side.....

In the process of totting up your 12 points and getting your liabilty a$$ off the road, you will have paid the government more than £240 in fines!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Who is the mug?

Old 20 December 2003, 11:31 AM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

The friendly white caps told me that it was up to me if I wanted to continue running small plate but would continue to pull me.

Any idea how easy/difficult it is to loose private registration mark?

If it was original registration what can they do then, just continually give you a fixed penalty?

To add, I have a clean license and small plate has been on car for 2 1/2 years!!!
Old 20 December 2003, 11:34 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Thats a good point dougster they say you can loose your plate so does that mean they will take a std plate too and leave you with nowt

that would sort the cammeras
Old 20 December 2003, 12:01 PM
board
Scooby Regular

MY94 - it is a shame that when you got booked that they wound you up as well, not really on, they should just book you, explain what you did wrong factually and leave it at that!

In every line of work there are good and bad staff (even in the police). We certainly don't want to see them if we are having too much fun on the roads but if we are a victim then we are happy to see them. I personally think there are not enough resourses put to solving crimes like theft and violence.

I agree with you that there are many nutters on the roads and folk that have an extra interest in nice motors (ie us) generally are are more aware (and often more skillfull) of what they are doing on the road and also more aware of what others are doing. What gets me is the ones that speed up when overtaking! I will never understand this one! At least now with 280bhp its not normally a problem!

Anyway can I see that they managed to sucessfully wind you up but you can take reassurance in that you probably have a nicer car than them.

Anyway good luck to you and hope you are not bothered by them over Xmas (both needing them or not wanting to see them!).

Wishing you all lots of Xmas spirit (hic) and nice toys.
Old 20 December 2003, 12:27 PM
board
Scooby Regular

Link to Reg plate laws

I assume we are all group 2 for the ones prior to 2001.

On my last Subaru I had cut down my plates to the minimum legal size and they can go quite small.

At the bottom of the page <http://www.malplates.co.uk/law.html> it mentions info for jap imports though I am not sure if this is really correct!!! Maybe I should try them and see how many times I get pulled over!

Old 20 December 2003, 03:19 PM
my94
Scooby Regular

Cool

TALIZMAN.........

I didn't realise that you were able to put 2 and 2 together and get 27? because it certainly wasn't my "friends" who "done" you, as you flippantly suggest, as firstly, I am not in traffic, and secondly, the traffic are not my "friends"

I put 2 + 2 together and came up with 4.I was there,so I am sure that I read the correct meaning from the "TRAFFIC's "cheeky remark.So please don't assume I"m some idiot.

And as I mentioned, there is probably a higher ratio of Scooby owners to cops than most other occupations! I personally know of heaps in my force, not to mention the tons of guys on 5ive-o, so to suggest that cops hate Scooby owners is as childish as your posts suggest that you are!

How much do u guys earn?
And I like the fact that u have done some market reasearch and have all the stats on what profession drives what.
THIS IS A CHILDISH AND STUPID STATMENT.
All my mates drive Scoobys and Evo's too........don't mean a thing.

Also, nice to see you are keeping it on an adult level....

If swearing is childish,then I guess so.But you live in a country where everyone swears all the time..............so get used to it m8.

Are you assuming that you know what I deem to be dangerous???
I "accept" perfectly well, what is dangerous and what is not and I don't recall suggesting that what you did was dangerous, so grow up, and go back out chasing your next 3 points!
The sooner the likes of you hit the magic 12, the safer the rest of us will be!
Look on the bright side.....
In the process of totting up your 12 points and getting your liabilty a$$ off the road, you will have paid the government more than £240 in fines!!!! Woo Hoo!!!
Who is the mug?

I wasn't assuming anything...............
3 points in 16 years of driving is not "chasing" points ,as u put it.You seem to have taken my rant personally.So let me clear something up.I respect the police and their work.In fact I take my hat off to them.I used to date a female officer.........so I have some idea of the job.The traffic guys where doing there job and in so where quite right to stop me.
But there was really no need for there remark.
My further rant was stating facts.It is true that the poor car owner's wallet is being attacked by the TAX man.........
So no offence was ment to you Talizman,or the force.
But I would add that there is good and bad in all walks of life.
Also attacking me for just giving my oppinions is a bit harsh.
Anyway.......enough said..............merry christmas and many safe journeys to u all.
Old 20 December 2003, 03:47 PM
my94
Scooby Regular

Just a last comment......................not aimed at anyone.......
If "traffic" spent more time arresting criminals involved in car crime.............and the courts stopped being so bloody lean on them....................then maybe I wouln't need a Tracker/immobiliser/alarm/steering lock..............and my insurance would look less like a mortgage.
It's fair to assume that a car owner has money to give to the government................but putting a criminal in jail costs.
So my assumtion is that the government has good bussiness sence in so far as raising money goes.
It's just a shame that everyone in Scoobyland is going to suffer sooner or later.
My father of 74 has never had an accident or points in his 50+ years of driving,but recieved his first 3 points for that particular 50mph on the M8.That's just wrong.
The government is ******** us..................just wait a few years..........when more than a million of us are banned .If public transports stays as bad as it is now,then the economy will suffer and Labour will have to give in.
The congestion Tax in London has pushed traffic to other parts of the city,so in 2004 thay are introducing 20mph limits with the new SPECS system.The only logic to this is that if they can't Tax you with the congestion charge........they'll get you with the SPECS.After all,how else is Gordon Brown going to to raise the cash to meet the budget .How many billion is he borowwing this year?
The congestion TAX is planned for Edinburgh...........so write to you MP now.......as the consultation period is up at the end of Jan2004.
Old 21 December 2003, 02:05 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

MY94,

I must admit, I read your posts with a smile on my face, and told myself I wouldn't reply, but I feel I must retort to some of your statements...

You missed my point regards the "2 + 2" thing. I was referring to the fact that you called the officers concerned "my friends" which they are not.

So please don't assume I"m some idiot
I think that you'll find that you are the one who is assuming that you know what I think of you! I certainly never called you and idiot, nor did I imply it.

How much do u guys earn?
Not that it is anyones business except me and the taxman, nor is it relevant. Suffice it to say, there are many many more ScoobyNetters who are a HELL of a lot better payed than your average cop.

I like the fact that u have done some market reasearch and have all the stats on what profession drives what.
THIS IS A CHILDISH AND STUPID STATMENT.
Childish and stupid statement?

Hmmmmm, perhaps if you weren't a "newbie" (97 posts) and had been on SN for a longer period of time, you may be in a better position to make statements as to Subaru owners professions.

I haven't done "market research" as you flippantly suggest, but I have read ScoobyNet avidly for a fairly long time, and if you care to do some "research" yourself, then you can utilise the sites search facility and you will find many, many threads relating to Subaru owners professions/jobs, and this is in fact the source of my statement, so it is not just a random, inaccurate statement, but one of fact. Check it.

All I can say, is that I know of many cops who own Scoobys, so to suggest that cops in general "hate" Subaru owners is ridiculous. Bottom line.

With regards to swearing....

Why should I get used to it? Courtesy and civility cost NOTHING!
I speak to you on a civil level so why use profanity?
It suggests that you are lacking vocabulary, and using the "everyone swears, so get used to it" to hide this fact.

You also said...
I wasn't assuming anything...............
Well, if this isn't an assumption, I don't know what it is....

Why not accept the fact that a scooby(etc) at 90mph in not as dangerous as some of the ****e drivers on the road at the moment
You ASSUME that I can't accept the fact that 90mph is not dangerous. I accept it with no problems.

Furthermore, if you care to read my post regards you "chasing your next 3 points" you will see that the sentence is littered with smilies.

Perhaps when you are a more experienced ScoobyNetter, you will understand the seriousness (or lack of) in posts!
Old 21 December 2003, 05:36 AM
my94
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I"ve spent my life avoiding people such as yourself........
I"m sure you are always right,everyone that drives a car is a police officer,your are not hypocritical ever,can take things with a pinch of salt,will continue to always be bigger and better.
...............want some fish with that chip?
You probably believe in the bible and go to church...........****,maybe you are god!!
Really mate,maybe you should spend less time here and get a life!!!!!!!!!
AND I"M SURE THE TRAFFIC GUYS ARE NOT YOUR MATES..............IN FACT I"M SURE YOUR OWN MOTHER DON'T EVEN LIKE YOU.

Quick Reply: Anyone been done on the 50 stretch of the M8?