Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSL Firestorm what a good choice I like em to
Kendo hope your using octane booster too

[Edited by BKS 6 - 8/5/2003 11:41:17 PM]
Old 08 June 2003, 10:09 PM
JDMsport
Scooby Newbie

Anyone like the idea of a event at the Little ferry cart track at Golspie "Sutherland" Its used as a round of the Scottish sprint championship also a few Car club's CCC 'Caithness Car Club' etc. I will look into it if anyone is interested also would give the opportunity for a Highlands meet.

[Edited by JDMsport - 8/6/2003 10:14:11 PM]
Old 03 August 2003, 07:01 PM
steve_nairn_sti
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, myself and Lesley had our first time at Alford today. In fact, our first ever meet with other scoobynetters.

I'd just like to say it was a fantastic day out and very nice to put some faces to the names!

Only the highest quality of cars there which kind of put ours to shame! Maybe one day.....

Anyway, pics to follow shortly. If anyone else has pics, post them up too. See you all at the next one hopefully!
Old 03 August 2003, 10:25 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steve,

I saw you on track but I didn't know which fella you were. We (Mrs Numptie and I) shot off around 14:00 and I realised that I hadn't said f'like. Apologies, I could have asked Jools or one of the others to point you out.

Next time, I'll be a bit more forward. I look forward to it.

Sorry again.

So, what were the final times? (Rob / Jools) - I reckon Scotty was getting quicker every run.
Old 03 August 2003, 10:55 PM
JohnS

Thumbs up

Nice to meet you both, and we'll hopefully see you all again at some point in the near future.

Cheers

John (who also had to make an early dash away at about 14:00)
Old 04 August 2003, 10:19 AM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Some pics first

Another great day out apart from Tut's car not looking to well before he even got started Hope it's not to bad Tut!
Thanks to the Capri owners club who invited us and Paul and John who took it upon themselves to time some of us.
All of us seemed to have improved since our last visit.

The times
Rob D 66.20
Jools 66.66
Eric 67.09
EvoV 67.21
Scotty 67.87
JohnS 70.97
Steve 73.55

I think we should host our own event some time.

Cheers, Rob.

[Edited by Rob D - 04/08/2003 13:12:50]
Old 04 August 2003, 11:35 AM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Rob

Thanks to the Capri owners club who invited us and Paul and John who took it upon themselves to time some of us.
Aye, I second that !

I think we should host our own event some time.
I've been thinking about this (since Miles suggested it at the Peugeot day). I also had a word with John about it on Sunday.

Some thoughts ...
  • There's a chappie I work with who's a controls / electronics walla. I've got him working on pricing a proper timing rig (c/w laptop interface and big display). Hopefully it'll only cost a few hundred quid but if anyone knows where to get such a thing ready made, I'd be grateful for the input.
  • John reckons that the price of hiring the track and surrounding ground is a charity donation. It'd be good if we could establish how much we're typically talking about.
  • Apparently, you need four marshalls throughout the event. This coupled with peeps at the gate (to take money etc) means that we'd need a fair few volunteers.
  • To make it worthwhile, we'd need to invite some associated clubs - not a problem.
  • We should really arrange an evening event (barbie or the like) after everything'd tidied up etc.
  • Burger vans / bouncy castles etc etc etc
  • Promotion / advertising / road signs

This is a great idea but I'm wondering if we've left it too late for this year.

I'd be up for doing some of the organising / co-ordinating.

Anyone have any views on this ?

Cheers,

N
Old 04 August 2003, 12:54 PM
steve_nairn_sti
Scooby Regular

Here's a couple more....

Numptie, thanks for the apology but honestly there's no need. We had a great day and I'm sure we will get the chance to meet up with you all again soon.

P.S. Guess I was too slow to even register on the stopwatch
Old 04 August 2003, 12:56 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

I have to agree that it sounds a great idea! I often think the track at Alford is overlooked, and saves the drive etc associated with going to Kames from Aberdeen.

I know a few SEAT owners who would be interested in attending something like this as they went to the Pug day and really enjoyed it.

Could be right about too late in the year though - only Aug & Sept for BBQ weather.... if we're lucky!

Mike
Old 04 August 2003, 01:10 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Looks like I missed a good day - unfortunately the house is currently a bombsite in the middle of redecoration and her indoors would have had a fit if I'd slunk off to Alford for the day

I've had the idea for having our own Alford for a couple of years and have vaguely mentioned it in the past. I'd be up for co-ordinating/helping/marshal/dogs body work at our own Alford. IIRC, the actual cost of the track is not a lot (£500?), but it is booked up quite extensively during the summer months. Something to discuss the morn's night at the OMI?
Old 04 August 2003, 01:15 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry Steve your time is now up on my original post.
Doh!
Old 04 August 2003, 01:34 PM
steve_nairn_sti
Scooby Regular

Lol, wish you hadn't bothered now Rob!

I could have loads of excuses but the one I'll use is that I was new to it all

Cheers for posting it anyway!
Old 04 August 2003, 02:11 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Something to discuss the morn's night at the OMI?
Aye Miles - good shout.

... but it is booked up quite extensively during the summer months
JohnS - do you have contact details to find out if there are any September dates free ?

Cheers,

N
Old 04 August 2003, 02:45 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Cool

Numptie, no problems with the timing equipment.
I know of a company that can supply us a rather large display and beam sensors for a weekend, very similar setup to Kames with split times etc etc.
Old 04 August 2003, 03:07 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Rob,

nice photos. Made me sad though - wish I could still afford the Scoob, and wish I still worked at the museum - life was so simple back then.

Numptie,

you want to speak to the curator Mike Ward, top bloke, rumbles about in a V8 Rover SD1. You'll get him on 019755 62292. I think you're cutting it a bit fine for this year, even if you can get a free Sunday. Sept usually has the bike convention and the auction so that's 2 out the window to start with.

It's at least 10 years since I worked there, so I've no idea of the costs involved in hiring the track.

Mike.
Old 04 August 2003, 05:46 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

I gather from the times you have posted that you were all stopping for a 10sec stop and go penalty then ?
Looked like fun !!!

Old 04 August 2003, 06:13 PM
JohnS

Numptie - September is a busy month for me, so might be best to leave it until next year. Get a good date that suits everyone, and then do lots of publicity - sort of Scottish National Day ro something like that. I'm sure we could do some great things like a BBQ (free for current members) like we have done at Kames before. Make it a good day out with bouncy castles, cash prizes for the best cars from each car club, vendors, advertising (quite liked the idea of the colour info pack handed out on Sunday). Perhaps June next year ?

John - we use a different route from that used at the sprint events, and I think it's something like half a lap longer someone said - we started with a full oval, then a figure of eight, then another full oval. Thinking about it though, almost all the cornering puts presure on the passenger side front tyre, so a slightly different route to perhaps even things up might be better ?

John
Old 04 August 2003, 08:56 PM
Kendo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Aye it was my first time too, did enjoy it.
Didn't take the car in to because i thought i'd come have a look around first, then by the time i did, spoke to a couple of folk, nosed in a couple of engine bays, watch the track i realised it was time to go.

Steve was that you in the silver Impreza i came up behind between Huntly & Keith ?

Nice to meet you guys & put names to faces (& cars)
Old 04 August 2003, 10:38 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Steve,
Great to meet you and Lesley and glad you had fun. Regarding the track times; nothing to worry about there at all, considering it was your first time out Looks simple enough, but it’s all too easy to get it wrong and them steel and wooden barriers all of a sudden get close in a hurry
See you managed to post a picture of Young Keith’s Evo7 Only reason we did not torch it was that it was parked to close to the scoobies That Evo 5 out the track was pushing out 380BHP, looked damn quick, but out of shape on the tight corners. And to think I was told as we came through the gate that we would not manage to tie the boot laces of the monster Evo 5 out on the track with the gathering of Sti's we had there. I just nodded politely and said that’s an interesting perception you have there Well he must have had on slip on boots, cause I looked all day for his boot laces and could see them at all Fellow driving it was very nice and good crack as well. At least Young Keith had a friend for the day

Kendo; If I remember right you have Young Keith’s old Sti; damn quick car it is too.

N.
Like JohnS, I think we should put some serious planning and thought towards a track day of our own at Alford. Think we are out of time for this year, what with the plans for KN coming up. I hope to be home and lend a hand to Pete, JohnS, Dug & co with that event where I can. I would think we should pick a date before the end of this year and let all the local car clubs know. I’m sure they would be happy to pay us back with some support as so many of the Alford days seem to revolve around us entertaining the crowd on the track It was like Sti city yesterday

Rob,
Great pics mate, did the ones I take of you on the track turn out bad only saw the one posted up above.

Jools
Old 05 August 2003, 11:16 AM
foz01
Scooby Regular

John had to shoot off to the Big W didnt you

Was a bit busy so never made it

looks nice though, oh and my pals new westie sneaked into the scooby group pic
Old 05 August 2003, 11:46 AM
steve_nairn_sti
Scooby Regular

Kendo,

Yeah that would have been us I think. Were you in the version 5 in grey? Looked sweet.

When is there another meet that we're allowed to go to in Alford? Want to improve on that time!!
Old 05 August 2003, 01:50 PM
tut
Scooby Regular

Rob

First warm up lap at Alford on Sunday and smoke pouring out of the engine lid. Seemed to be coolant spraying on the exhaust manifold, nothing I could do, so called the AA, and reported it as a H/G failure, and home on a low loader. However temp did not go up, and oil is clear. Will get the tray off today, just incase it is a split hose, as opposed to H/G. I have the AA breakdown cover, so good for upto £500. I had started the dreaded engine problems again before that, starting getting more difficult, using oil, putting out smoke, so looked like problems anyway. This even with the new bottom end and overhauled head 7,000 miles ago.

Ricky is very busy, but booked in with him a week Thursday for a strip down. Family just left for Tenerife for two weeks, so at least I have a Focus.

tut

Old 05 August 2003, 01:56 PM
tut
Scooby Regular

ps Rob

Looks as if you either equalled or beat my FTD from before.

Can't remember if it was 66.2 or 66.4.

tut
Old 05 August 2003, 02:07 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Looks like it was a great day out, unfortunately i was making my bonnie way back down to Grangemouth at the time.

Am heading North tonight though so if i'm passing the OMI around or after 7.30 i'll stop in past.

Also echo the comments about a Subaru day at Alford, i personally would be more than happy to get involved in any way i can be of any use.
Old 05 August 2003, 03:46 PM
sarahbee
Scooby Regular

Had our first time at Alford on Sunday and it was our first Subaru meet. My BF owns the black Subaru.
Had a great day and the weather was good.
Old 05 August 2003, 07:59 PM
Kendo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yip Steve it was me in the Version 5 oh i love that car !!
Give me a shout when your organising a highlands meet & i'll try to make it (weekends are better for me but will try if its through the week).

Aye Jools it is a quick motor will be better after next Friday after going to see Russell & Martin for D/P, C/S & spanky new TSL Firestorm (ordered yesterday, after hearing it on Sunday had to get one !!)

Was going to try to get to the OMI meet tonight but only just in from work maybe next time.
Old 05 August 2003, 11:47 PM
BKS 6
Scooby Regular

KP who parked that evo their as Jools said too close to burn Inverurie Boys will convert you back within the month but hey you will have changed twice in a month at your exchange rate
Cheers Brian
Old 06 August 2003, 07:37 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sarahbee get back to work or I'll tell Ian you have been surfing Scoobynet all day whilst he has been on Holiday
Old 06 August 2003, 09:05 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Talking

BKS,
Young KP can't change within the month
His time frame is 6 weeks then it will be time to change the car again

Old 06 August 2003, 03:29 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Tell me about it We only just get things on the car when he changes it for another one.

These changes must be affecting him, after all what other excuse could he have for selling the 22b and buying an Evo 7 ??

NUTTER

Russell (sourcing Evo parts as we speak, Keith;D)

Quick Reply: First time at Alford 03/08/03