Notices

Art of Left foot braking

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2003, 09:17 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone in here master the art of left foot braking? also how hard is it to learn or is it just practice makes perfect.LOL.......dear god I need to get out more.
Anyhoo
Laters
Spooks
Old 01 August 2003, 09:45 PM
tut
Scooby Regular

Spooks

Andrew Walsh teaches it, but right time right place. On a normal race track, hard right foot braking combined with heel and toeing is the most effective. However on an airfield track, ie Crail, it can be useful when you just want to kill off a little speed through an almost flat corner, and be straight back on the throttle again.

I also use it on fast road runs at times, depends on the type of road, but Andrew does not recommend it unless you have had a lot of practice, and are confident of not getting feet mixed up.

tut
Old 01 August 2003, 10:00 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It takes a lot of practice to do it, I found my left foot only had 3 states - full down, biting point and full off. After a couple of hours it becomes easy enough - once you get used to applying gradual pressure with it. Until that point you spend a lot of time picking your teeth out the steering wheel

I found that I never got past the auto right foot brake in emergency problem, resulting in me stamping on my left foot with my right, doh! Not recommended

I only use it on wet roads, primarily busy motorways, so that I can dry off my brakes without slowing down.

Once you have mastered it left foot accelerating is the next natural progression hours of fun