Notices

F.A.O. teknopete

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2003, 11:26 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You still up?

Fault code 21 is Engine coolant temperature sensor.

Any ideas.

Will put pics up tomorrow of car and a thank you!

[Edited by Dougster - 7/30/2003 11:27:16 PM]
Old 31 July 2003, 12:03 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hey Doug,

Yeah bud i`m still up, its still Wednesday (isn`t it ??? )

1st up mate I`d redo a flash code check on the off chance that the reset has cleared the code If not proceed as below.

Take the spade connector off the back of the temp sender when engines cold (if the spade is not on the connector re-connect it and that`ll probably be why the fault code was generated.
If it is on disconnect it & put a multimeter between the end of the sensor and the block with the meter set to ohms and take a reading.
Reattach spade to sensor, start car n let teperature build up slightly. Turn car off then recheck sensor a different reading should be given if sensor is ok. If the reading doesnt change,
remove the coolant temp sensor, drain coolant header tank 1st (the sensor is normally brown and is located in the flat elbow that connects the 2 halfs of the block 2gether at the back of the alternator.

Once sensor removed retest cold, then hold it in your hand and as the temp rises the reading should change proportionately. If not the sensor is fubar.

I`ve got values somewhere of what the "xxx temp = yyy ohms"
somewhere but unles u have a temp probe they`re not much use :rolleye:

This would explain why the fan kept comming on
BTW if that sensor is faulty it usually causes the ECU to pump too much fuel in as when the sensors fail they send a signal that represents a - temp. So the car is in effect running in cold start mode all the time

Any probs gimme a shout m8

No probs re today m8ty, was only to glad that I could help you out with the wheel refurbishment and other jobs you needed done before the weekend Hey I enjoyed it and it was good 2 c u again.

L8r m8
Pete

[Edited by teknopete - 7/31/2003 12:04:47 AM]