Notices

the northern big one

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 09:50 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

who organised it? dosen't anyone else think that we could organise something like that north of the border? i'm not predjudice, just think it would be pretty cool, that's all.
Old 14 July 2003, 10:06 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Here here!

Funilly enough, we were talking about this at the Edinburgh meet on Saturday.
Don't think a concusion was reached, but there was genuine interest in doing a big one in Scotland

Count me in

Old 14 July 2003, 10:11 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Talking

well first thing's first, we'd need an area big enough anyway! how many scoobs would we expect to see there and when. somewhere central...first idea that came to my mind(and i haven't been to anything like this before)...knockhill. any ponderers? thanks for the interest too by the way, dosen't make me look like a total gimp masked ****** beeach!
Old 14 July 2003, 10:29 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

We could host it in my garden. There's room for at least 2 cars

Seriously though, it's a good idea, and one worth pursuing!
Old 14 July 2003, 10:34 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Smile

well if we get some more support, idea's across for where to host and when it should be held, we could then put a post up in general or likewise to get folk from downsouth interested. it can't be a hard thing to do...get a few car's rounded up! i'll look into spot's where we can hold it tomorrow. scoty, what exactly do you guy's come up with on saturday night?
Old 14 July 2003, 10:34 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Most excellent idea neebs, Ive been droppin hints but never actually came out and said we should do it( too shy )
I like the Knockhill suggestion too.
Right I nominate you to organise it now
What would we call it "The further Northern Big One"?
Laters
Spooks
Old 14 July 2003, 11:17 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

The McBig one

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2003, 11:21 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

The BIG MAC MEET?
Old 14 July 2003, 11:23 PM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

Guys

Dougies549 said he'll arrange it! He says he just loves organising such difficult to organise events!

And Diana will set up a BBQ for all of us!

BRING IT ON DOUGIE + DIANA!

[Edited by GordonShek - 7/14/2003 11:23:53 PM]

[Edited by GordonShek - 7/14/2003 11:24:21 PM]
Old 14 July 2003, 11:27 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Cool

Definately up for that.

Plenty space for camping at Knockhill too, so it could be an overnighter..bbq..beers etc...with some track action the next day ???

Wonder if Knockhill would go for that ??
Old 14 July 2003, 11:40 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

dougie/diane

once the scottish big one is planned for a venue contact me and i will fetch 400 of my loyal followers up to invade your country

I also have a <vision> of a autumn driving weekend up there can any of you let me have a few suggestions?
Old 15 July 2003, 06:03 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

OK if u folks r serious bout it AND we are assured of a good turnout Crail is the venue i`m thinkin about
It would also be the ideal opportunity for us to have the Scotland v`s England 1/4 event we have spoke about a few times.
I hate holding a gun to folks head to motivate them but this would potentially be a MONSTA EVENT for where-ever its held. I was one of the Scottish few that did the 300 + miles down 2 the NBO & i can tell u it was worth it IMHO, even if just for "the sport of it" heading down from Scotch Corner (those of u that were there know wot i`m on about) BTW still got pix 2 b edited n upped 2 the site. If any organising was needed I`d happily get on the case (as always).

BTW Lordy we`ll hold u 2 that m8ty
I was the guy u were speakin 2 at Scotch corner with the tarty red original WRX The first sign of life that morning

Lemmme know ASAP if we`re going anywhere with this peebs & like I say, I`ll get on the case if any organising needed with venues etc.

Pete
(edited as Crail is now has MSA approval and to appologise to Willie for previous comments which although unintentional, may have caused offence)

[Edited by teknopete - 7/21/2003 12:21:16 AM]
Old 15 July 2003, 10:26 AM
JohnS

Lightbulb

Funnily enough, as the SIDC have been unsuccessful in arranging a venue for their national event this year, I was thinking of organising a Scottish event along similar lines.

4 venues spring immediately to mind.

1. Knockhill, excellent track facilities, but weekend dates booked up a long time in advance, and quite expensive. There are other attractions there though, such as karting, skid pan, off-roading, rally school etc, all available at extra cost. Would need to be next year though. No problems with noise.

2. Alford - where a lot of other car clubs hold similar events. Space for I'd say about 300 - 400 cars, plus marquees, overnight camping etc. Excellent small sprint track. Sheltered inland venue (sun trap!), with grandstand, plus nearby attractions such as the motoring museum. 1/2 mile from Shell Optimax petrol station. Relatively inexpensive venue to hire and use.

3. Kames - similar to Alford, though probably less parking space available for a large number of cars. No problems with noise.

4. Crail. Very large site, with potential to do a number of different events simultaneously. Only trouble might be that the Crail Thrash runs every 2nd Sunday, with a Sunday market every other week. Might be expensive to hire for exclusive use. Location a bit "exposed" (ie on the coast) if weather is poor.

We have enough people on here who are SIDC regional organisers, have organised events on here, or have even volunteered on here to make this happen. All we need to do is sort out a date and a venue.

Suggestion - why don't we formulate some ideas, and discuss it at the next Knockhill event on the 26th July, and see who's up for what in terms of organisation, venues, facilities etc.

In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming in

John
Old 15 July 2003, 10:53 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

John,

With Crail vaguely falling into my catchment area and being one of the venues which i`m known to attend & get on with the owner of, I`ll look into options for that site. Previously when I`d had discussions with the owner re a similar event, he was more than happy to hire us the full facility at a reasonable rate, including timing equipment, staff etc. This would enable us to have 1/4 miles, drift oval, figure 8 track etc. So plenty to do in the way of events. Also if it was a dedicated scoob day we could run the strip with return road to the left so no bottoming out. As we`re all sensible drivers on here, and we`d police the returns from the strip ourselves shouldn`t be the usual "*** in a Nova" probs. No real probs with noise and plenty of space for camping etc and space for thoousands of cars, hey we may even be able to arrange some trade stands, burger vans, mag coverage given enough time, interest and work by the organisers

Incidentally what kind of date are we looking at ? Ballpark ?

Pete
Old 15 July 2003, 10:56 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Wink

Anything after the middle of August please guy's
Old 15 July 2003, 11:00 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Looking at all the options, i think Crail would be one of the better venues, especially for the size, and amount of space available.

Pete, Do you rekon you could swing something with the guys there ??

I'm willing to lend a hand if i'm of use for any organising too.

Johnny
Old 15 July 2003, 11:18 AM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Smile

Anything after the middle of August please guy's
and you really think you will pass first time?

AJ
Old 15 July 2003, 11:20 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL

Watch this space misses
Old 15 July 2003, 12:10 PM
steve_nairn_sti
Scooby Regular

Count me in for the McBig One if it goes ahead!!

Would DEFINITELY have some of that!
Old 15 July 2003, 12:14 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

sounds like crail is the most possible, so if anyone can get a price and date, i'm more than happy to help out in whatever way i can. i missed the northern big one, but i would love to contribute to "the north of the border one!"
Old 15 July 2003, 12:27 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

OK peebs looks like we`re on a mission

I`ll chew it over with Willie n c wot we can come up with.
Meantime we really need to see what dates are suitable for the mass. Obviously we don`t want it to be too soon as we wont get the full turnout, but by the same token we dont want to leave it too long or it`ll die a death. So get the word out n lets have as much feedback as possible

John,
Could u maybe start rattling some cages with our Southern counterparts 2 drum up some interest from their membership

Lordy,
Could you drum up some interest from your members ?

Lets get it on peebs (Mac Big One, avin it LARGE)
Pete

(edited coz i used the wrong their )

[Edited by teknopete - 7/16/2003 2:21:03 AM]
Old 15 July 2003, 12:33 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

How about some dates round about mid-late september ? Or early October.
As Pete says...too little notice and there wont be enough interest.

Probably have a tough job just now anyway, with it being holiday time etc..
Old 15 July 2003, 12:33 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Cool

i htink most people would prefer it to be held on a sunday anyway, but if we could have an area on the saturday night for people to camp out, that would also be a bonus. i reckoned anything from a couple of weeks from now till about 7th september.
happy, happy la-la
Old 15 July 2003, 02:57 PM
JohnS

Lightbulb

Had a thought!

We've got Knockhill booked on Saturday 13th in the morning. People travelling a long way could travel up on Friday evening, stop over and enjoy the fun in the morning.

In the afternoon (and for people who can't travel on Friday evening), we could head off in a series of large convoys towards Crail (about 20 minutes away) where we could spend the rest of the day.

We'd probably need people at Crail during the morning as well, so get everything set-up and ready, and some people may wish to go straight there.

Pete - cna you check out availability and prices for Crail. Obviously, Knockhill would be free for entry and passenger rides etc., but we'd probably want to charge people entry at the gates to Crail (thinking about £5 per person maximum) to cover the cost of the hire etc. We'd obviously need to weigh up the number of expected cars arriving etc., as with a few hundred, the costs should be minimal.

Obviously, not everyone would want to take their cars on the 1/4 mile, oval etc., so perhaps have an additional fee for these activities.

John
Old 15 July 2003, 05:27 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Wink

i have to say johns that, what you've came up with, while great that we're getting idea's, may be a bit too much too soon. no offense m8, but let's see what everyone else think's.
Old 15 July 2003, 06:22 PM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

Guys

Places that I was thinking was similar to the NBO (LightWater Valley). Something like:

M & D s at Strathy Park or
Loudoun Castle

I would think Loudoun Castle is more suitable as similar to LightWater Vally, it has something to suit everybodies needs, not just car enthusiasts.

just my input for the topic...............
Old 15 July 2003, 06:28 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

cheeas!

anyone else like to contribute?
Old 15 July 2003, 07:24 PM
cat49
Scooby Newbie

Hi all

I know a couple of people who would marshall for the day.

................eh Gordon and Michelle, hows about it!!!!!!!!!

D

Old 15 July 2003, 07:50 PM
Techno
Scooby Regular

This sounds a great idea folks. I'd be up for attending this if it becomes a reality.

All the ideas for a venue, sound quite good so far as well. However I think Gordon Shek may be on the right lines too. A location near the Central belt may be more sucessful in getting the numbers. Especially if there is entertainment nearby and Hotel accomodation near the Cities. Plus it's a whole lot easier for any one travelling up from down south to get there IMHO. I suggest the date for such a thing be in either August or September. Any later and the weather gets more unpredictable than it normally is.

Good luck with the organising.
Cheers
John

Old 15 July 2003, 08:12 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Have also been thinking about SBO.

JohnS, not a bad idea but the NBO really was for scoobs only with only a very small presence from other clubs.
Not being elitist but would like to think that SBO would run similar ground rules. Going to KH and Crail would mean mixing with those little Elises and crappy Corsas!!

Loudon Castle has less of a stigma attatched and does offer plenty for the family.

Would like to have seen more interaction around the car-park field, instead of the usual wandering around spotting people's cars and not getting to meet them!!

Did introduce myself to a few 'faces' but probably walked past people that I have know for a long time via the bbs and msn.

Time to get the name badges out!

Quick Reply: the northern big one