Notices

Skid Car Training in Aberdeen during July - act quickly!!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2003, 05:06 PM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

We have the opportunity to perform driver training using a proper skid car (ie on a height adjustable cradle) in Aberdeen during July at greatly reduced prices.

The driver training involves learning how to handle all sorts of skids using the specially adapted skid car, which sits in a special cradle. This technology can be used to simulate understeer, oversteer, driving on black ice etc. at low and controllable speeds. Things like cadence/limit braking can also be taught.

We have the chance to perform this training on only two dates during July:

Saturday 12th July and
Tuesday 22nd July

The cost will be about £70 per person , and you should get around 40 minutes behind the wheel, plus additional time spent with the instructor driving to demonstrate the techniques.

The training itself will take place at the Aberdeen and Exhibition Conference Centre (AECC), and would last the whole day with a break for lunch. It may be possible to attend only a part of the day (ie do all your driving at once, rather than over a couple of sessions).

As you can imagine, places are very limited (8 - 10 per event) and be very high in demand, and as such, will be allocated on a first come first served basis.

If you are interested, can you please send an e-mail to John Stewart on john@sidc.co.uk, listing your preferred date (or either), and SIDC membership number (if any) by midday on Monday 23rd June at the latest (when we need to confirm the dates).

John
Old 21 June 2003, 01:19 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Well worth a whirl (oops) This is the most accurate form of skid avoidance available and WILL save your bacon one day, we used to use an ambulance on a frame and it is far superior to the skid pan. There is a guy up our way who uses one on an airfield (possibly the same person?)
Old 21 June 2003, 01:37 AM
rickydiver
Scooby Regular

Smile

This course is well worth it for learning to handle that unexpected skid, I done my course at knockhill with my employer (fire brigade) and it taught me loads. Only thing I would say is that this sounds a bit expensive for a simulator (I know you are driving but it is still in a cradle that probably handles slightly different from a real skid), I think the real thing ie skid pan at Knockhill is a bit cheaper and more realistic. Most likely wrong and not trying to upset anyone, some form af skid training is better than none ! Firetunic on waiting on the response

[Edited by rickydiver - 21/06/2003 01:38:15]
Old 21 June 2003, 02:40 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Sorry but your gonna need your best fire proofs on, the frame is faaar superior to any skid pan cos you can lift any/all wheels totally independantly from each other and simulate everything from starting off on snow/ice to understeer, oversteer, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, the absolute works, including all 4 wheels off the ground, which is interesting at 70mph (which is extremely scary! believe me) it is the closest you will ever get to real skid conditions, there should be a web site I would imagine, probably somethin like skidcar.co.uk will need to have a search,

Edited to add that the web site is skidcar.co.uk and if you have a look on the "what is skid car" link that is our ambulance that I have used - unfortunately now no longer used.

[Edited by jaf01uk - 21/06/2003 03:00:28]
Old 21 June 2003, 07:03 AM
JohnS

Talking

I've done both the skid frame training here, and also the skid pan at Knockhill. Must admit that the skid frame was a lot more realistic, and can simulate a wider range of conditions. The course was set-up to do a "circle of death", figure of eight, large slalom, holding long powerslides etc. You also learn about braking with/without ABS, cadence braking/threshold braking.

The best bit for me was that correcting any skid soon becomes instinctive, and you don't need to think about it. Everyone who did the last course we ran a few years ago had a great time, and all admitted that they learned lots from it.

It may sound expensive, but I've quoted the maximum price it would be with 8 people (minimum required). If we get 10, and you are an SIDC member (you'll get a subsidy), then it will be even cheaper

John
Old 21 June 2003, 02:12 PM
martinl
Scooby Regular

John, you could pencil me in, 80% chance I'll be home
Old 24 June 2003, 12:07 AM
rickydiver
Scooby Regular

Fair comment jaf01uk, I did say I have not tried the simulator, so will take it from you and JohnS that it is v good ! Best of luck organising this event. Cheers Ricky

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2003, 06:54 AM
JohnS

The 22nd is now more or less fully booked, but we still have a couple of slots free on Saturday 12th. If anyone is interested, then give me a shout.

Cheers

John
Old 24 June 2003, 09:06 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Will be away both dates John.
Old 24 June 2003, 10:27 AM
martinl
Scooby Regular

John, have you got me on the list??
Old 24 June 2003, 01:49 PM
JohnS

Martin - I've got you on the list for either date, but may put you into the 12th if that's OK with you ?

Jools - I'm sure we'll sort out another one if these two are a success. Ask Rob D, as he went on the one we did a few years ago - it was a lot of fun

John
Old 24 June 2003, 04:06 PM
martinl
Scooby Regular

No probs.
Old 29 June 2003, 07:49 AM
The Saint
Scooby Regular

John,

I am in.