Notices

Is Crail the only option?

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 11:12 AM
Judge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im getting slightly peed off crashing through the craters on the run off road and the fact that the overhead gantries hardly ever work!!!! Is this the only option for a timed quarter in Scotland?

Plus its friggin miles away!

(Ps yes - I have ruled out street racing!)

[Edited by Judge - 6/11/2003 11:13:45 AM]

[Edited by Judge - 6/11/2003 11:15:07 AM]
Old 11 June 2003, 11:46 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Agreed definately needs some serious work on the tarmac.

Dont know anywhere else in Scotland tbh.
Old 11 June 2003, 12:56 PM
corsaturbo'd
Scooby Regular

am gona go 3 on that cos it damages ur car more than what to track does
Old 12 June 2003, 09:53 AM
jerryh
Scooby Regular

...........and when u think how much they're taking every 2nd sunday and what the outlays must be (minimal in comparison), then you'd think they'd be able to stick a bit of tarmac down!!

If anyone else comes up with a more central location and better track then god help Crail!!!

A friends dad who was at the MP day has apparently been kicking himself stupid since going. He had the chance to buy Scone Aeordrome just outside Perth a few years ago. After seeing how many people were there, he can't believe the opportunity he missed!
Old 12 June 2003, 10:22 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Agreed. Pulling in a fortune spending none!
There was rumours about somthing happening at RAF Edzell last year but have heard nothing since.
Old 12 June 2003, 10:35 AM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Somewhere else must be available? Did folk off here not go somewhere near Star Performance a while back?

A disused airfield is near the top of my "when I win the lottery" shppoing list
Old 12 June 2003, 12:39 PM
Spanpody.
Scooby Regular

There was a few scoobynetters from here who joined in with the MLR (Lancer Register) group for a rolling road day and private session at the airfield just down the road from Star a few months back.

There was no timing equipment though, just a bit of fun on the strip. The tarmac at the airstip is far far superior to that found up at Crail

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2003, 09:32 PM
Judge
Scooby Regular

Right then!!! I am aware that street racers in America have had backing from local authorities for quarter mile races in order to keep racing of the streets so I'm going to make a few enquiries about this in a more central location under this sort of scheme.I think that the police and councils would welcome the idea to back something like that.Crail have been holding a captive audience for far to long and giving **** all back!

WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!!!!!
Old 13 June 2003, 03:15 PM
scotishscooby
Scooby Regular

Dont know if this is true, but ive heard because it is a listed area/buildings etc he cant alter anything icluding re-tarmaking the straight.

Has any one else heard that?
Old 13 June 2003, 04:49 PM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

Go Judge

I'm sure there are plenty of un-used industrial sites around the central Scotland area that could be put to good use.....
Old 13 June 2003, 05:06 PM
wos 69
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yes but try and get permission and all the objectors will come
out the woodwork!
Old 13 June 2003, 08:03 PM
Judge
Scooby Regular

Fret not boys! I am on the case! Will update soon I have no doubt,I hope there is a demand for it!
Old 13 June 2003, 08:21 PM
Judge
Scooby Regular

Ps As for Crail being listed buildings,yes it is the case that altering them can cause planning problems and the authority listing them must approve any renovation.As for the actual tarmac I would say that tarmac is pretty much the same as it has always been and that reinstatement of it could only enhance the asthetic appeal of any listed site (Which is why it is listed in the first place ie the character of the place of historical significance is kept in good order) So if Crail are hiding behind that old Chestnut they are insulting our collective intelligence!

And our alloys!
Old 13 June 2003, 08:23 PM
Judge
Scooby Regular

Ps As for Crail being listed buildings,yes it is the case that altering them can cause planning problems and the authority listing them must approve any renovation.As for the actual tarmac I would say that tarmac is pretty much the same as it has always been and that reinstatement of it could only enhance the asthetic appeal of any listed site (Which is why it is listed in the first place ie the character of the place of historical significance is kept in good order) So if Crail are hiding behind that old Chestnut they are insulting our collective intelligence!

And our alloys!
Old 13 June 2003, 10:15 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

"Im getting slightly peed off crashing through the craters on the run off road and the fact that the overhead gantries hardly ever work!!!! Is this the only option for a timed quarter in Scotland?

Plus its friggin miles away!

(Ps yes - I have ruled out street racing!)"

Miles away? from Glasgow? You want to try goin there from Morayshire, and plenty do,
Old 14 June 2003, 12:43 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Peebs,

Fear not there are a number of clubs working in conjunction with each other at the moment on finding alternatives as we are sick to death of being charged overinflated prices for the use of a wornout airfield and none of the proceeds being reinvested in the facility (so much so we could name many of the original 1/4 milers that just don`t go any more, myself included) I personally spoke to ***** on numerous occasions about the "state" of Crail (especially the surface of the strip & RETURN ROAD) and got nothing but a load of drivel back from him. The excuses were so lame i wont even reiterate them.

Possibly the best course of action is to have our next event on the same day as one of the mag days, so the REAL cars are just not there ??? The last time we did this it spurred a reaction

Pete

[Edited by teknopete - 6/14/2003 12:44:26 PM]
Old 14 June 2003, 06:07 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

The last time I was there with the PGAC and we had a big stand and as such we were to get in early to set up and the guy that owns/runs the place couldn't even be bothered to get out of his bed!! Was one of the big magazine days as well, he must have made a fortune!