Notices

Brake Fliud??

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2003, 03:51 PM
martinl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just bought some steel hoses for the STI7 and I was not sure what fluid to use. Having experienced brake fade at knockhill on my last visit and intend to do a few more, should I get a racing fluid. And can you mix them or do you have to completly drain the whole system?
Any help would be great.
Cheers Martin
Oh and whats a good pad to use on the front?
Old 27 May 2003, 04:24 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've been told you shouldn't mix new with old, so it's a complete drain AFAIK.

If the OEM fluid is boiling (brake fade), then use some DOT 4/5.1. I've got Lockhead 5.1 in mine.

Stefan
Old 27 May 2003, 04:35 PM
JohnS

Martin,

use a good quality DOT 5.1 fluid in there.

I'm just about to order some DS2500 pads for the front.

John
Old 27 May 2003, 05:18 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Question

Martin,

Good to see you at Abz airport last week as we headed back to work. We both missed a good day at KH by all accounts. Maybe next time we’ll get to play

I was running 5.1 in the Sti 7, but remember it degrades and should be completely changed out yearly. At least that’s what Jim King told me when I changed to it last year.

When Rob D and I were away getting the cars tweaked we fitted steel brake lines at the same time. Kevin Adam, Falkland Performance recommended we use Dot 4 fluid, the same type he used all last year in the racecar. He says he never had to bleed it or change it once. He said this was not the case with Dot 5.1…

I have been running the DS2500 pads front and rear for nearly a year now and what a difference they make at a lot less money than the OEM parts. I don’t recall the type of Dot 4 fluid we had put in the car, but maybe Rob will remember. Brakes are now.

Jools
Old 27 May 2003, 05:40 PM
JohnS

FPC will have used Mintex brake fluid
Old 27 May 2003, 06:35 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

That's the very stuff.
Old 28 May 2003, 06:25 AM
martinl
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, so it looks like dot.4 mintex fluid and where do you get the DS2500's from?
Jools, I tried writing but scoobynet thingy kept telling me invalid subject so I gave up. S0 we both made it to work then, I'm currently bobbing around inside the 500 meter zone next to a noggy rig changing out damaged risers, should be here another week then its off to Denmark for a week or so's work there, "a life on the ocean wave tiddly......
Well thanks again to all and may be I could join you Inverurie lads for a spin one fine and sunny day?
Old 29 May 2003, 06:06 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Martin,

We are further down the coast from you offshore from Esbjerg. Just spent the last two years doing development work on the HESS South Arne Platform, now we are onto HPHT exploration work for 300/400 days, then apparently back to the platform for another couple of years. Weather is great right now...

Always welcome to join the local gang for some fun. Need to get something set up for a run out somewhere, which will no doubt involve one or two smarties as well...

Jools
Old 29 May 2003, 03:55 PM
martinl
Scooby Regular

Jools, we are [at the moment] planned to goto Esberg to pick up a caisson and the location is siri [maybe, sounds like, or somthing like that]
We are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to info but that is were the vessel is spossed to be going.
I don't have a date for getting off here but mid to late June is most likely, then I should get about 4 weeks off to play and then we're offto the G.O.Mexico for a couple of months working with the double blanks, so I'm sure we can sort a run out, Fort Bill and back can be fun.
Cheers Martin
Old 29 May 2003, 03:57 PM
martinl
Scooby Regular

Oh who did you get the pads from
Old 29 May 2003, 05:19 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Smile

Pads from Falkland Performance, they’ll post them up to you.

The platform you mention is the "SIRI", funny looking thing, a little jack up production kinda deal. It moves around, not from location to location, but "on location" if you get me....We sometimes land on it and it sways in the damn wind!

Operated by DONG; Danish Oil & Natural Gas, the same lot we are contracted with, except over here with us HESS are a major partner, so we have reps from both sides onboard; that’s lots of fun...not.

We are on a free standing location at
56º 04’ 53" North & 004º 05’ 10" East
MODU "ENSCO 101" on VHF 69 if you in the area, just call 101 radio and they will give me a shout.