Notices

Scottish Tuning Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2003, 02:32 PM
Spanpody.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my mates has a MY97 UK turbo and is looking for a bit of tuning advice. He doesn’t have internet access so I told him I’d have a look on here for him. I'm from the dark side so there was no point in him asking me

His car is currently standard appart from a Magnex system. He basically wants to do the exhaust/filter stuff and does not plan on changing the OEM ecu, ie no remap.

* What sort of induction, panel filter would you guys recommend he fits.
* Can he fully decat the exhaust and still run the OEM ECU. How much would it cost and what sort of gains will it make.
* What gains would he achieve if he just removed a single cat (cold start one!?!)

Any other advice would be much appreciated.
Old 07 May 2003, 03:12 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

I,M not sure if an induction filter is the answer, It is so hot under the lid its counter productive as the engine is drawing in hot air.

The colder the air the more dense it is, more air more fuel = more power.
I have heard of someone building a box around the cone of the filter and using the bonnet scope to induct cold air.

cheers

chris
Old 07 May 2003, 03:46 PM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

Spanpody

What you doing on this side? Shouldn't you be on the dark side?

I agree with Chris, the induction kit only really makes "Whoosh" noises and would be only very marginal improvement i.e. you wouldn't notice it cause I didn't. I'm using a Blitz SUS Induction Kit and sounds more like a dump valve . I had a mongoose grpA exhaust on my car previously complete with matching downpipe and the car was overboosting! If your mate doesn't want to change his ECU i would suggest to him to keep his original downpipe on and change the system and backbox. There's a cat in the downpipe which should also be sufficent to pass MOTs (I think cause I haven't had a MOT before but my mate said it should be enough to pass emissions). Having said all this, I could be totally wrong as I have owned 3 Subarus before but were all UK cars, don't know much about imports, sorry.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gordon Shek
Old 08 May 2003, 08:26 AM
Spanpody.
Scooby Regular

Gordon, I'm an ex scooby owner. I usually lurk in the background on this forum just to see what the opposition are up to

Will the car still pass the mot if the cat (cold start) is removed. Any decent panel filters he can put in place. Seen some reports of ITG filters and MAF problems, any comments.

Old 08 May 2003, 02:30 PM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

Spanpody

I've not had any MAF problems at all and I've had an induction kit in the car for ages now.

MAF problems onloy occur AFAIK is when the induction kit is not secured properly, therefore allowing movement. If the induction kit is secured properly and there's no movement, it should be ok.

Not had any experience with ITG filters before but i've heard alot about MAF problems as well.
Old 08 May 2003, 03:25 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

gordon--- long time no hear , you well ??

spanpody-- I used to own a my97, with the hks induction and the mongoose(full sysyem inc D/P) i managed 240 bhp, then I changed to a H/S d/p with a blitz nur-spec system and got 249bhp.....then I got the superchip running at 15.5 psi it had 262bhp approx.

I aggree with gordon there is really little gain , if any with the induction kit but you can hear the D/V much better, if ur pal is a tart like me then he will enjoy the noise too. I had used a K+N panel filter b4 (gordon's old one) and it did'nt seem any different .

Had no problems with the maf over the 18 months of ownership with my 97 uk turbo. I believe the maf on the my 97 were less sensitive compared to the 99> turbo's.

Mot wise I always got the exhaust swaped over, I think it was just the center section......dont remember, never tried the mot with the performance system

[Edited by kenny.c - 5/8/2003 3:26:45 PM]

[Edited by kenny.c - 5/8/2003 3:28:47 PM]
Old 05 August 2003, 05:23 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Spanbody

I have a decat downpipe for sale if your friend is interested.
This part of the exhaust gives the most benefit for money spent. He won't need to re-map for it, just a reset of ECU.

I'm looking for £150 posted for it, full 3" pipe (twin dump style and not 3" to 2.5") and has been modded for my car to release further potential. Will be fine for any classic Impreza.

Alan

[Edited by AlanG - 5/9/2003 9:12:48 AM]