I've posted a problem I've got with the car -

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=187138

[Edited by Marky-San - 3/13/2003 9:21:03 AM]
Old 13 March 2003, 10:12 AM
chrisyd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Marky-San, i aint a pro on these cars but i had a problem last week, 4000 rpm, accelerating hard and the car starts jerking like fuel cut, i changed plugs and leads to no prevail, ended up pulling out the maf sensor and found it to be dirty, i run an induction filter which obviously aint filtering as good as the standard, after brushing out the dirt the problem was sorted, i've heard many a complaint about these sensors, as i say though, i aint an expert but it only takes 5 mins to rule out the problem.
Old 13 March 2003, 10:17 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I've got the HKS induction kit on the car. [Total novice mode] how do you clean out the MAF? Is it pretty easy to do?
Old 13 March 2003, 10:50 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Open the air-filter housing and spray brake cleaner (available from Halfords - Unipart) one or 2 squirts max, upwards into the air intake thingy whilst someone holds the car at 3,000rpm.

All cle;an
Old 13 March 2003, 10:54 AM
chrisyd
Scooby Regular

Marky-San, if you got an iduction kit fitted, chances are you got the same problem as i had, look about 10cm to the right from the induction filter inlet, there is a wiring connection that simply unclips from the sensor. unclip sensor, two torque screw hold the sensor in place, this needs a special tool to remove or just be a cowboy like me and use a small pair of stiltsons or similar clamping pliers to unscrew the torques out, the sensor is quite long and made from black platic, at the end there are some wire probes which you will probably find to be dirty, brush them out and spray with a good quality non residue leaving electrical cleaner, or something that will totally evaporate and not damage the probe, i used electrical contact spray, i dont have any left though. once clean, refit and re-connect wire connector, if it dont solve the problem then it may be damaged, approx cost of a new one £60, drive in falkirk dont ave any, nobles in edinburgh do. if you dont get any joy, let me know as i have some really good small brushes for doing the job. i believe there are two versions of these sensors, the wire type like i have and a film type which i know nothing about, if its the film type, dont do the above as i know nothing about this type, hope this helps.

Edited to say: i wouldny fancy spraying anything into a running engine. No offence Sipie

[Edited by chrisyd - 3/13/2003 11:05:57 AM]