Notices

Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2003, 05:11 PM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks

I just had an interesting conversation with one of my friends who happens to be an Officer in the Traffic Division.

We were talking about my brother's Cossie and he noticed that it had a Tracker sticker on the window. He then informed me that there are NO patrol cars in Strathclyde which has the Tracker tracking devices in them. the only vehicle that they have which has the Tracking Device in it is the helicopter.

What happened is that when the Tracker took off and everyone was getting them fitted to their vehicles, Tracker company gave the tracking devices to the police to have them fitted to their patrol vehicles. That's why every police car you saw had 4 aerials on the roof. Now Tracker wanted the police to buy the devices from them instead of getting them supplied free of charge. How many of those aerials on the patrol vehicles do you see now?

Now, the question is - Do you still rely on them as a protection against car theft? Knowing that there's only one vehicle at any one time who will be looking for your stolen pride and joy.

The purpose of this thread is to let you know what Tracker has done. I'm not promoting nor demoting this info so there's no need to jump on the band waggon to flame me.

I'm just passing on information which was passed onto me by a friend who also appreciates cars and advised my brother and I not just to rely on tracking devices.

[Edited by GordonShek - 2/23/2003 5:12:17 PM]
Old 23 February 2003, 07:11 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Smile

The only reason I had a tracker in my EVO was insurance compnay specified it, now that I get one with the STi 8 the insurnace company doesn't even require it so I just won't renew the subscription next year. Money for old rope as far as I am concerned

Lets face it these cars will not be stolen to order, only used as get away cars etc and then do you really want it back?
Old 23 February 2003, 07:37 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Gordon,

Good info
Old 23 February 2003, 09:19 PM
Rice Rocket..
Scooby Regular

Was told that 3yrs ago by the Police when I was having trouble with a **** using by no. plate on a scoob!!

Its only a peace of mind at the end of the day really, would like to see what Puff the Magic Dragon has to say about it, but correct me if I'm wrong, he works for them, not to sure though.

Just my 2p's worth

Ricey
Old 23 February 2003, 10:34 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Lets face it these cars will not be stolen to order, only used as get away cars etc and then do you really want it back?
Too true and one reason why I haven't fitted one to my Scoob. As much as I like my car, if it gets nicked I don't want to see it again....
Old 23 February 2003, 11:26 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Ricey

Puff the Magic Dragon used to work for a courier and taxi company. His only interest with the tracker devices was to retrieve expensive vehicles in case fo theft. I seem to remember they had two vehicles stolen at gun point in one week.

Gordon

I am sure I saw a T5 in glasgow last week with four aerials....

If what you say is true thou' its a bit crap as that means all that money they take off us in speeding charges (taxes) isn't being spent on anything useful..

Old 24 February 2003, 12:07 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

I had mine fitted as it was a requirement of my insurance poilicy and for no other reason.

I was informed by the garage that fitted it that there was at least 3 Tracker equipped cars operating in the Aberdeen area which gave me some peace of mind for my £550. Whether or not this information is still correct, i dunno.

I don't know how i'd feel if my car was stolen but i like the thought that the chances of the police finding it after are higher than average with the Tracker fitted.

Trending Topics

Old 24 February 2003, 12:09 AM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

I've heard numerous stories about people having their cars towed or similarly moved with active tracker devices fitted and no contact being made by the tracker companies until well after the event.
Old 24 February 2003, 12:29 AM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

WillieF
Gordon

I am sure I saw a T5 in glasgow last week with four aerials....
What, just the one car? That's my whole point. A couple of years ago, even every panda car had the tracking devices....... but it's a bit greedy for Tracker to charge the local authorities now and at the same time, trying to promote their product with pictures of police vehicles with tracking devices ?????????
Old 24 February 2003, 10:43 AM
hepster
Scooby Regular

My car came with a RAC Trackstar as standard. Is there much difference between Tracker and Trackstar?
Old 24 February 2003, 03:32 PM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Cool

I think Trackstar uses GPS technology so is monittored by the RAC themselves, whereas Tracker relies on the police to have devices in their cars to find the car. There might be a bit more to it than that, but in escence I think that's the difference.
Not sure about the "monitor" service though !?!?

HTH

Dave
Old 25 February 2003, 02:23 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

well all I got to say is " ur dammed if you do and ur dammed if u don't "