Notices

FAO - SiPie

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2003, 03:09 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi mate

since you have experienced just about every major trauma that scoob ownership has to offer I was wondering if I could ask you about the gearbox failure you had last year?

The guys at AWD have said my gearbox is 'noisy' which makes me uneasy but I was just wondering what (if any) symptoms you experienced when your g/box was on the way out? If there were any signs it was on its way - how long did the box last before it went pop?

Obviously its time for me to start saving but I'm trying to work out how much time I have...

cheers

steve
Old 13 February 2003, 03:47 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Steve

Thanks for bringing all those 'not so distant' memories back home mate

The gearbox was a bit whiney (you could hear it when not accelerating), but the sound could easily of been mis-interpretated as wheel bearings or similar ie. the box just didn't sound quiet as it should. In all fairness the box ran like this for around 10k with no problems...

Then.... one day it sounded like (literally) a pneumatic drill when only in 3rd but the box still functioned and at this point it was clear that teeth had been removed and there was a conflict when the teeth were trying to mate

Took it straight to the dealers who felt that a rebuild could not be guaranteed to run 'trouble free' in the future so a box was sourced from a brand new WRX that had been rolled and written off. Obviously no real damage to the gearbox involved in a roll so Nobles accquired it at a cost of £650 and fitted it. The total bill was around £1600. I wa sinitially told that it was just 3rd gear and should be an easy fix at around £50 for the cog. However main dealers will charge 7 hours labour for a gearbox strip-down and re-fit. So if they do need to take a look then your best case scenario entails at least 7 hours labour

If I can be of any more help then please e-mail me as per profile (office hours only) but the bottom line is...... start saving up mate

Cheers and good luck

[Edited by SiPie - 2/13/2003 3:48:31 PM]
Old 14 February 2003, 10:32 AM
s-man
Scooby Regular

sorry to drag up those nasty memories matey

cheers for the info - I'll be in touch!

Steve