Notices

where's a decent place to buy scoob: where did u buy yours

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 12:59 AM
scottishWRXpower
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been looking around some of the garages/importers in scotland, calder, mackay trading in edinburgh to name a couple but compared to other places, namely down south they seem really expensive usually around 35-40% ! - and a bit dodgy/untrustworthy

can anyone recomend where to get a good quality scooby from at a decent price, i'm looking for an early wrx £5-7k (or lower) and to possibly trade in my civic vtec.

been looking at net importers too like:
http://www.jap-link.co.uk/japanese_car_import.htm scooby from £3500 !?!
and
http://www.scoobyscene.co.uk/usedscoobs.asp

anyone ever used such places and how were they.
where did u get your car from?
whats the going rate for an early wrx or 1st generation sti - the price ranges seem to differ greatly.
cheers
Old 17 January 2003, 01:08 AM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well

a wee word of warning stay away from Indy Cars mate(not that i bought from them)

Good luck in your Search

Craig Mac
Old 17 January 2003, 01:52 AM
scottishWRXpower
Scooby Regular

yeah a phoned indy cars (somewhere around aberdeenshire) once, over a year ago, about a starlet turbo they had, it was highpriced but looked/sounded good on their website.
the guy was rude to me on the phone and called me an info junkie - only asked what mods were done to it and service history - replied that i didnt want to make the 200+ mile round trip to see a car that may not be suitable and wanted to get at least a general idea of the cars condition/spec before traveling to see it - he said i just sounded like an information gatherer.
felt like driving up there just to smack him and his crap attitude. (I ended conversation b4 he gave details over phone - for his safety ). was absolutely livid over the way he spoke to me but a week later gave him the benfit of the doubt (we all have sh*tty days and end up in bad moods for whatever reason) and sent him an email about the car - reply was just as curt and aloof as his attitude over phone, so never bothered after that (he's still got the car on the website!)

notice how they dont put prices aswell - wonder why - dodgy methinks
Old 17 January 2003, 09:33 AM
boyner25
Scooby Regular

At least it is not only me then who thinks this boy is THE biggest **** hole out, he has no idea how to talk to potential customers.. I went out to see his stock when i had my MY98 PPP and he wouldn't even discuss going out for a test drive and he got offended when we asked why he didn't have prices on his cars.I mean who the **** is going to buy a car without first getting a shot and secondly knowing how much it is...w@nker!!!

All above thoughts are pure IMHO..

Boyner
Old 17 January 2003, 09:57 AM
JVSImpreza
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am a regular on the Scoobynet and active SIDC member. I also run Japanese Vehicle Sourcing in Loanhead near Edinburgh.

Andrew

Edit: Easy on the commercial advertising please , can I remind you of the Scoobyshop where this is better suited. Ta, Miles

[Edited by Miles - 1/18/2003 4:28:07 PM]
Old 17 January 2003, 12:29 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guys just to let you know, I bought my Impreza from ICS. Yes I agree with everything above regards his attitude, pricing policy (i.e. doesn't have one) etc and his telephone manner. However the car I bought was exactly as he described, a totally minted WRX and was well worthy of the price & the travelling involved.

Shame really about these negative incidents.
Old 17 January 2003, 12:37 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Hey Andy,

Nice yellow STi4 coming in. Wished I was looking for a change
Old 17 January 2003, 12:40 PM
MadScotsXR2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hello all

I did a contract stint in Mackay's in Edinburgh driving the stock through to East kilbride for it's import test (MOT)

The work on the cars 100% because the test is an hour long and is so picky they evan check the zorst for sharp edges (not joking) It's probably the best job in the world driving 320Bhp along the M8

The cars themselves I found were first rate but i can't comment on prices as I'm not knowledgable enough. They had Scoobyz from £5,000 upward too which i'm thinking of starting of buying as I loved the car i drove.

Only need to sell some of me XRs's first LOL, see some of u at Kaimes just look for a red Mk1 XR2 again
Chris
Old 17 January 2003, 01:05 PM
themaverick
Scooby Regular

totally aggree with craig mac21 stay WELL away from indy cars

kev
Old 17 January 2003, 01:12 PM
JVSImpreza
Scooby Regular

Awsome Huh Caz? If i were a "Rich man" like RobinH20MRV , i would keep it as my new toy. I will just have to rely on my old RA for now.....

Old 17 January 2003, 08:38 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Dicksons seem to have a very good reputation. Whenever I've called they've been really helpful.

Whenever I've been to Calders I've never had a warm feeling of leaving my pride and joy in their hands. Had a warranty job to do some power steering, and they never even seen the car and quoted it to be 'big bucks' and lots of other things go wrong during this job. Hardly reassuring words.
Old 18 January 2003, 03:51 AM
RA Jaay
Scooby Regular

I travelled 100 miles after phoning (ICS) only to be asked to leave. He told me to goto the central belt to buy the crap Salvage cars that they sold for my £9k, coz he didnt have cars for that sort of money.

And a Happy Fckuing Christmas to you too

[Edited by Miles - 1/18/2003 4:41:26 PM]
Old 18 January 2003, 08:11 AM
The Saint
Scooby Regular

I have have considered buying a car from him twice, with reday cash. Both times he talked me out of it. On the 2nd occasion he would not let me test drive the car I was interested in, and suggested that I "got a UK car" as "it might be more suited to my driving style".

Its almost like he does not want to sell cars, he must have some other large source of income though cas he must sell **** all with his bad attitude.

Si

[Edited by Miles - 2/2/2003 11:26:24 PM]
Old 18 January 2003, 10:09 AM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

andy and pete at jvs (loanhead) is a topblokes, you wont go wrong there, they have some realy top cars, and the guys are top,
normal blokes!! and they drive mad cars on the road!!

they get my vote!!!

cheers robin.
Old 18 January 2003, 11:14 AM
stage 1
Scooby Regular

dicksons

[Edited by stage 1 - 1/18/2003 11:25:06 AM]
Old 18 January 2003, 04:44 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Keep it clean please! Interesting discussion, however I don't want to go down the same route as sasim did with the previous ICS thread.
Old 18 January 2003, 04:47 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Lol @ the you-know-who comments. I cannot agree more after being treated the same way as is mentioned above. He actually boasted to one of my friends about selling an early WRX for a hideous price (>10k) to a young lady. Said young lady was mateys sister.

However, his cars do seem to be of a high standard.

On a more positive note i have always received excellent service from T&C although i doubt you'll find an early WRX there...

I bought my MY98 UK Turbo from Mr Boyner up there after Ken Ross gave it the all-clear.

EDIT: Is that ok Miles?

[Edited by Carl Davey - 1/18/2003 4:48:59 PM]

[Edited by Carl Davey - 1/18/2003 4:50:25 PM]
Old 19 January 2003, 03:49 PM
scottishWRXpower
Scooby Regular

what actually happened with ICS, did someone get ripped off or is it just his poor attitude - wonder if he reads this forum, perhaps that would make him realise lost business?
Old 20 January 2003, 09:14 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Mackay's or JVS. I've heard good reports about both. Almost bought a car from Mackays in the Summer.

Never heard any good/bad reports about some of the others.

But I have heard about swapped engines, stolen cars, and cars being stolen back immediately after being sold then broken up.

But for obvious legal reasons, I can't say anymore.

So caution is the word; check the cars legal history, check all numbers match and are genuine. Fit a good alarm and tracker.

David
Old 20 January 2003, 09:55 PM
scottishWRXpower
Scooby Regular

"But for obvious legal reasons, I can't say anymore."

why not, just word carefully, like use of the word alleged or referring to as 'suspected'.

dodgy dealers should be named and shamed.
Old 20 January 2003, 11:15 PM
scottishWRXpower
Scooby Regular

JVSImpreza

whats the web address?

[Edited by scottishWRXpower - 1/21/2003 5:01:08 AM]
Old 20 January 2003, 11:37 PM
benview7
Scooby Regular

Try Dicksons in Dunblane, loads of cars not the cheapest but they look good and youi are dealing with a Respected name worth a phone call you will get the number in directory. Cheers
Old 21 January 2003, 12:31 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I went to ICS. I felt as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, despite tuning up in my old Catalunya and looking to trade up. The guy was curt (misprint?) and said he did most of his business over the phone with people who didnt come and look at the cars. He had to lock up his two huge alsations before I got anywhere near the cars. Not a pleasent experience.

I wouldnt go back, but the cars looked good.

I havent had good experience at T&C either. It wasnt too bad until I turned up in a Euro Import, having bought UK cars from them in the past.

Brian Downie at Kemnay seems straight up, I would deal with him.

Old 21 January 2003, 12:33 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Cool

Or buy a car from Benview7, it worked for me (once I found his house - not easy).

Old 21 January 2003, 12:36 PM
RA Jaay
Scooby Regular

OOooo, I just remembered about this thread. I see my post has been moderated, did I say somthing bad, did I over step the mark ?
I apologise, what I meant to say was what a great guy the man that owns that wonderful Garage on the outskirts of Inverurie. He has very nice cars which im told are not of the same kind as those other nasty Garages in the said Central belt. He was so eager enthusiastic to help me and was very understanding of the Value of the amount that I was prepared to pay for a car. After a very informative conversation we came to a mutual understanding, and I left feeling eager, happy and excited.

Ok so my first post was a Rant but sometimes there are no other words to describe your feelings other than expleatives, the scenario which includes someone on fire and a refusal to do a pee springs to mind.

J
Old 21 January 2003, 06:42 PM
steph e boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Dickson`s
Old 21 January 2003, 06:51 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

RA Jaay, sorry if I've caused offence over the edit, I was trying to keep personal insults, no matter how justified in your opinion, out of this thread.

Ta.... Miles
Old 21 January 2003, 11:52 PM
RA Jaay
Scooby Regular

Hey, no bother, sometimes you dont know the line till you step over it.

Old 22 January 2003, 01:11 PM
scoobydu
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi

I bought my car from www.scoobyscene.co.uk, found Chris (on scoobynet as mellow yellow) to be very helpful. I spoke to him for about 1/2 an hour one day on two different occasions about Subaru's and at this point I wasn't even buying a car from him. I can only recommend you give him a call.

Cheers Al

Old 22 January 2003, 01:33 PM
JVSImpreza
Scooby Regular

Wink

ScottishWRXpower - you will get my website in my profile.

Thx

Quick Reply: where's a decent place to buy scoob: where did u buy yours