Notices

Grampian Police

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2003, 02:39 AM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Some other posts on here use derogatory terms in reference to the police in the North East ... and I'm not comfortable with this.

I accept that few of us have never used the; "go catch a criminal", argument. I include myself here.

The relationship wasn't improved by interest in us today. Unfortunate.

Is there any mileage in us getting together ?

What about inviting the traffic police to the next monthly meeting ?

I'm prepared to be flamed if this is nonsense; but surely trying to foster a relationship isn't going to do any harm ? ! ?

Thoughts ?

BTW - I'm not volunteering to speak to them (I'm scared) - that's a job for JohnS

[Edited by Numptie - 1/13/2003 2:46:18 AM]
Old 13 January 2003, 06:59 AM
JohnS

I don't think there was a special interest in our group today. Whilst out later in the afternoon, I passed two patrol cars, and a traffic car in the space of 15 minutes, all on different raods going in different directions.

I think perhaps there was just a general a enhanced police presence on the roads yesterday, as they do this from time to time as a special initiative. I believe they also have a "Speed" campaign on this next few weeks, which is probably what it was.

I also noticed quite a few "Max Power" type cars around the King Street/Bridge of Don area, so wondered if there was a "cruise" of some sort arranged for Aberdeen yesterday that the police were looking out for.

Anyway, we were all impeccably behaved yesterday (as always), and if there were any reports going back to police HQ, I'm sure they will all be positive

I'll try and arrange a meeting with the police at some point to discuss a few things, so we can understand each other better

John
Old 13 January 2003, 09:39 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Numptie,

Well done for starting the thread and I’m with you here; Not comfortable at all. I too was a little intrigued yesterday with where we saw not one, not two, but several police cars However, as John S has pointed out there was a heavy presence out and about in general and I understand there is a big crack down on speeding motorists right now on Grampians roads. Remember all the mails that were flying around last week about the speed trap zones.

Reading some of the threads on here will do nothing to endear either ScoobyNetters or SIDC members to the local Police force and further to this would we really be surprised if they were keeping an eye on us; I think not I have considered approaching the Police force and setting up something like advanced driver training , or even talks on defensive driving, etc, but like you I too think that John S is the very man for this job

Maybe in the future, if we build a relationship with the local Police force, we would even find ourselves informing them that we are doing this or doing that. This would perhaps prevent them from being left like us yesterday, rather confused and curious by what is going on, with what we must remember are some very rapid and capable motor-cars. Remember the Porsche owners on the way back from a meet several years ago

Don’t get wrong here peeps I am no choir boy myself and I have sat shotgun for a period of my (younger) life for my misgivings before the boys came along . Nevertheless, as we get older I would like to think we get a little wiser too or am I just full of $hit

Would love to hear feedback from the SIDC backbenchers on or off line. (SJ, RD, DD, KR, PM, CL, WF, etc, etc)

Flame suit on time and lets keep it clean

Jools

[Edited by Jools - 1/13/2003 1:50:57 PM]
Old 13 January 2003, 09:49 AM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Smile

I could be wrong but I am sure the Strathy Cruise guys meet regularly with the police. I'll check out the website later on today and let you know.

AJ
Old 13 January 2003, 10:05 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Talking

Numptie/Jools

Approaching the Police isn't too hard. I wrote them a letter regarding a Police discussion. A few weeks pasted and nothing came back.

Now for the paranormal experience.

On my way back from Dundee one Saturday I had a little exchange of words with a copper who drove like a complete fud, I told him that I thought his roadcraft was poor and more respect should be shown to other road users. He took what I said on board and I then went on my way home. An hour later my door bell rang and when I approached the door I could see a nice day-glo yellow jacket on the other side of the glass. PANIC infact SH!TTING MYSELF. It turned out to be the Traffic Police who were wanting to organise the discussion I'd wrote to them about. D'oh

So it is easy to make contact.
Old 13 January 2003, 10:23 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

perhaps a scotland wide meet with the traffic police?

would be interesting, and i am all for good relations with them.
Old 13 January 2003, 11:13 AM
JohnS

Derek had already arranged a meeting like this with the Central police force, but had to cancel it due to the lack of a suitable venue.

I think it's an excellent idea, and shall make further enquiries for the Grampian area. I'll also find out if anyone has good contacts in other areas, and we'll try and get some things sorted out.

Cheers

John
Old 13 January 2003, 01:08 PM
skyenet
Scooby Regular

Strathcruise do have regular meets with the Police force and have got a good relationship with them. However you can't control who appears at public places and idiots can always give relatively innocent groups a bad name. You can't really self Police these large meets either, though the general views on the site don't condone stupid or dangerous acts which does tend to help reduce the number of show offs. The site is monitored by the Police. In fact I got a reply, via the site, about the apparent poor standard of driving by two Police Traffic cars I witnessed (and mention on here) on returning home from the recent Ayrshire meet. It went some way to explaining why they were driving in the right hand lane of an empty dual carraigeway (Police Class 2 drivers are seemingly taught to drive in that lane)

I did mention that on the IOM trip there were some Scooby drivers who happened to also be Police Officers (think there was at least 3 JohnS) and was only pointing out that fellow Scoobynetters may well be Police Officers enjoying the company of like minded drivers. However from some of the anti Police posts that get made, I think they would rather keep their work life out of it.

I am all for closer co-operation and have already registered interest in the Central Region meeting being organised by Derek.

Personally I have been lucky in my times driving the Elise and only stopped once by the Police. It was during TT2002 and was actually an officer from Grampian region and I think he was extremely reasonable. The problems arise when you have an encounter with one that is not reasonable and you tend to tell everybody about that, rather than the good ones and therefore they can sound worse than they really are.
Old 13 January 2003, 09:46 PM
Si James
Scooby Regular

Jools,

Agree that working in close co-operation with the police can only be a good thing. Maybe we can start with an inaugural meeting with the police to get a refresher on good driving practice?

Maybe we could involve some of the specially trained police in some driver education, if not driver assessment days?

I welcome this initiatve, and think its a great idea. Most of us local members are family types, who hold very responsible jobs, often in a hazardous environment, with a considerable Health and Safety responsibility.

It can only be for the good.

Si
Old 13 January 2003, 10:04 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Cool

Advanced driving school and defensive driving skills are great and the police trainers are also superb.

I have been an advanced driver for some years
Great experience well worth doing

And it has its advantages when you come to renew that old insurance
Old 13 January 2003, 10:26 PM
Dougster.
Scooby Regular

How about a Scooby meet with some Traffic cops giving a talk/Q&A session.

Hyndland Honda do it in conjunction with Esporta in Milngavie, as have some of the meets down south.

Think it may cost for police time, but I'm sure something could be arranged