Notices

1st Scooby purchase

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2002, 06:54 AM
opelcorsa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to buy my first Scoob at the beginning of 2003.Would appreciate some advise on where,when and how much i should pay for a decent one.
Want a tommy turbo estate version not tweaked or uprated just standard( to carry the dogs of course)possibly consider the new shape but if not then a very recent old shape,budjet probably between 9K and 15K.
Any help or advise would be great.
Old 30 November 2002, 08:33 AM
Si James
Scooby Regular

Try S&S in Ayr - call John Spicer, he will do you a good deal.

Si
Old 30 November 2002, 09:48 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Quite a selection available for that kind of money.

The cars have had detail changes over the years with subsequent improvements to areas highlighted by weaknesses such as brakes etc.

IMO buy as new as possible to take advantage of the improvements Subaru gave (look in the for sale and wanted section and see how many people want 4 pots for example).
This will save you changing components when you start to learn and get used to the car and notice the limitations in certain areas.

The later model (MY01, bugeye) I believe never sold as well as Subaru hoped cause of the front end looks, hence the new model next year, but if you look at the history, there have been few visual changes over the years on the old shape which suggests customers were happy with it.

Having said that, the new model is superior to the old in terms of build quality and is a much stronger shell. Interior is made of superior materials, so actually feels like a 20 grand car inside where the old one didn't.

Once decided on what to buy....beware ....the tuning bug will bite ...especially if you frequent this bulletin board often!!

Happy hunting!!

Alan

Old 30 November 2002, 10:12 AM
iainalpine
Scooby Regular

good morning alan. your up early. good advice alan. i like the new shape impreza but far prefer the classic. i have a my99 wagon and love it. no dogs to put in the back just lots of disco equipment. i would go for the classic shape and spend whatever money you have got left on mods. alan hit 1 thing right on the head. get a scooby and your quest in life changes, more power, more power.
good luck
iain

alan are you heading over to stuarts today? give me a call if you are.
iain