Notices

help needed - STi Version 5 /22B info

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2002, 10:32 AM
za-sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a STi Version 5 '99 spec. I have been offered an exhaust off a 22B and springs of a Sti Version 5 Type RA.

Can anyone comment on the following :

22B exhaust - I understand this is S/S and has a 4'tailpipe. I dont know however if it is S/S turbo back and if it has cats, etc. I am assuming this will be better flowing than the standard STi exhaust.

Springs - the springs on my car are red. The Type RA ones are black and shorter. I am assuming this will provide better handling.

Thanks in advance. Tried the other forums but no responces.

Cheers
Za
Old 08 November 2002, 09:17 AM
JohnS

Arrow

Za, did reply yesterday, but it seemed to get lost as out Net connection at work went down.

Essentially, the 22B exhaust is exactly the same as the one you have fitted. Absolutely no difference if the 22B exhaust is standard.

The springs may well be different, but if they are lwoered, it will only be by a small margin. Not sure on the spring rates either - remember that a lot of the RA parts (like cheap seats), were designed to be discarded when the car was made into a Group N car for example to help reduce costs.

I'd say unless they were very cheap, it's probably not worth the expense of fitting them (about 4 hours including alignment), and you would be best looking for a set of P1 springs which are matched to the STi V dampers, give an improvement in handling and ride quality (at low speed) due to the progressive spring rates.

John
Old 08 November 2002, 10:13 AM
za-sti
Scooby Regular

cheers John, thats what I thought although the seller is sure it is stainless and has a 4inch tail which is not the same as my car.
Old 08 November 2002, 10:19 AM
JohnS

Could be that the 22B he owns has a non-standard exhaust fitted to it. Might be worth a look if it's available locally.

John

PS Might have a source for P1 springs for you!