Notices
ScoobyShop / ScoobyNetPlus Discussions relating to ScoobyShop and the ScoobyNetPlus Membership

Anyone else been shafted by an official ScoobyShop advertiser?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2004, 05:14 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Anyone else been shafted by an official ScoobyShop advertiser?

[removed by webmaster for legal reasons]

Last edited by ex-webby; 28 March 2004 at 05:36 PM.
Old 28 March 2004, 05:38 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

talizman

I have edited your post, for no reason other than the fact that it was presented in potentially libellous way.

BUT..

We take this kind of thing VERY VERY seriously indeed and will be looking into the matter immediately.

Please do NOT post anything that could put scoobynet in legal difficulties, and we will attempt to help you as best we can.

The vendor in question will have their account on ScoobyShop dissabled immediately pending investigation.

Regards

webmaster

PS. Please contact us by email if you wish to discuss this.
Old 28 March 2004, 05:43 PM
Chokup
Scooby Regular

Everyone should bo told before it happens again,bang out of order if you ask me.Shouldnt have taken money until he had part in stock.
Old 28 March 2004, 05:49 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Webmaster,

I understand that you have a legal obligation to fulfill, but everything that I cited in my post was purely fact based.

You say
it was presented in potentially libellous way
Not so.

My description of events was chronological and factual. Potentially libellous?

Over-reacting somewhat IMO.

[Edited by webmaster to remove potentially libellous comment]

I am extremely disappointed.

Last edited by ex-webby; 28 March 2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 28 March 2004, 05:52 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Can I just remind everyone that ScoobyShop is a forum for vendors to sell products. We do not recommend the vendors who sell on there, and they are NOT official suppliers.

This is clearly stated on ScoobyShop, as is the fact that you are buying and dealing directly with the vendor, not with scoobyshop. ScoobyShop is just a catalogue of adverts.

The benefit, is that we bring a large selection to one place, and if you are plus member you can save money by taking advantage of the discounts we've negociated on your behalf. ScoobyNet does not earn money for anything you buy, and we have no part in the transaction.

HOWEVER ....

As I said, we DO take this very seriously indeed, and as we have no commercial or other gain from looking after a supplier that advertises on scoobyshop, we will ban them without hesitation if they prove to be less than we would all hope, and will support the membership 100% to the extent of our abilities in seeking resolution to any problems.

All you have to do is contact us.

If you paid by credit card, you can just call your credit card company and they will return the payment to you (as I understand it), so there will be no loss there. We will also name and shame wherever it is legally possible for us to (as we have done in the dim and distant past when we did experience a problem with a vendor).

We're trying to create a benefit to everyone, and look after you at the same time. Please do not slate us for this.

Regards

Simon
Old 28 March 2004, 06:01 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

talizman

I understand you are dissapointed, which is one of the reasons I want to help you.

I have edited a comment in your last post as it was potentially libellous.

The law is often not obvious common sense, and I can assure you that I had my reasons for removing your initial post.

I'll give you an example.

If you say "I do not think that Company X is very professional" and you have no standing in the community that would suggest that your opinion is respected as carrying weight. This is fine.

If you say "Company X is very unprofessional", you are stating this as fact, when it may not be the case. They may simply have been unprofessional in YOUR case. You would need to be able to go to court and PROVE that they are unprofessional.

I'll give you an even more outrageous example...

If you say "I called company X on monday, and I have not received a call back".. and this is the truth, it is fine.

If you say "I called company X on monday, and they have not called me back".. there is the potential that this could be libellous, as they MAY have called you back, but you just didn't get the call (out of the office, phone switched off, bad line, whatever).

---

We have to deal with this kind of thing all the time, and receive legal threats on a regular basis. The only reason we are able to win these cases is that we show a history of due diligence.

Regards

Simon
Old 28 March 2004, 06:44 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Simon

The problem is that other people might have ether ordered from that supplier or are about to.
How do other people know how to avoided them.
Old 28 March 2004, 06:48 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

We have a policy of letting people know within the ScoobyShop / ScoobyNet Plus forum if there is an investigation into a supplier.

My advice would be to keep an eye on that forum, especially if you are about to order something.

All the best

Simon
Old 28 March 2004, 06:51 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Simon,

Political correctness is a major contributory factor into why so many people think this country is in the fcuked up state it is!

Freedom of speech?

If the truth is libellous, then so be it. But it is still the truth.

I cannot change the truth, and I call it as I see it.

Its a shame that we cannot voice the truth on SN.....
Old 28 March 2004, 06:57 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

talizman

This is my final attempt to show you that I am trying to HELP you.

ScoobyNet does NOT make the law. Just like you, scoobynet has to abide by it.

Nowhere have we said you cannot speak the truth, and saying that is insulting to the support we are trying to give you, as it is simply a manipulation of wording.

I have gone to great lengths to try to explain to you the fine line between telling a story and ending up in court.

I personally do not wish to go to court and lose my personal home because of your statements.

I will explain once more. Please email us and we will help you as much as possible. An investigation is underway. The ScoobyShop / ScoobyNet Plus forum is the place where we post company names that are currently under investigation.

We are doing everything in our power to assist you in this matter, and I ask you one final time to respect that, and assist us in return.

Regards

Simon
Old 28 March 2004, 07:29 PM
MarkB1
Scooby Regular

Simon,

I posted recently regarding an offensive web site being advertised within what appeared to be a genuine advert in Scoobyshop. I read with interest from a legal point of view the issues regarding Talizman .

Does "Scoobynet" have a vetting procedure for Commercial adverts which are then placed on the "Scoobynet" web site and to which private individuals may then proceed to make purchases through.

May I suggest for instance like ebay, we can have a ratings system against commercial suppliers to indicate at least potential problems in dealing with them . Whilst I acknowledge "Scoobynet Ltd" attempts to resolve the matter I dont think its just a matter of suspending a trading company, because I would suggest is it is only "Scoobynet Ltd" initial loss , however to the private individual there is a real financial loss regardless of other means to recoup their loss.

However I believe the real loss to "Scoobynet Ltd" is the potential for fee revenue from adverts to dry up if people and other advertisers have no faith in the adverts placed within this website, and again my belief in the extreme for the potential for the web site to be suspended pending investigation.

Its a situation i guess that as the web site grows, the expectation of its users and its community grows, and undoubtedly its legal liabilities grow

Hope this post is not taken out of context and is seen as a positive way forward for this very popular web site to continue to grow

Last edited by MarkB1; 28 March 2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 28 March 2004, 08:18 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

I thought I posted on thisthread.
Old 28 March 2004, 09:17 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

You did Catalunya, but in our free world, your post would appear to have been deleted also....
Old 28 March 2004, 09:26 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

OK talizman, as you appear to have taken nothing I have written on board, I'll leave you to deal with your problem on your own. Good luck.

I will continue the investigation into this vendor and will report to the community as and when we have anything to add.

Regards

webmaster
Old 28 March 2004, 09:33 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

PS

I think it's also worth noting that the attitude you've displayed in this thread has lead me to believe there may well be another side to this story, and I am less likely to jump to conclusions about the vendor in question until I've heard it.

Regards

Simon