Notices
ScoobyShop / ScoobyNetPlus Discussions relating to ScoobyShop and the ScoobyNetPlus Membership

Why so much maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2003, 11:37 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simon, Shaun or mods....

Why is it that seemingly every day of the week now, ScoobyNet BBS is "closed for maintenance"?

I appreciate that there are quite a few SN members so the load on the servers may be pretty high, but other BBS don't seem to require so much maintenance....

I'm not meaning to have a go, but it is quite frustrating when seeming every time I want on, the BBS is down.

Why is this the case?

Surely with the income from Plus member subscriptions etc could subsidise a better server/service to members?
Old 22 November 2003, 12:27 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

Apologies for the downtime.

I certainly appreciate your frustrations, but with amount of traffic we receive (which is absolutely huge) maintenance to ensure the server is "tip top" is always a consideration. I appreciate that in an ideal world, we would complete routine maintenance during off-peak times, but realistically this is not possible due to real life committments and the fact we all need to get at least 2hrs sleep a night. We do however, try to keep downtime to a minimum.

Take this last downtime for instance, I started maintenance work at 9.00pm last night and went to bed at 3.30am this morning, with processes still running. Re-started this morning at 9.30am and have only recently finished. Unfortunately, this was unavoidable.

Unfortunately the SNPLUS members income, only goes part way to actually ensuring the basic infrastructure can be paid for. A site with the traffic that SN attracts requires huge amounts of bandwidth, which certainly does not come cheap.

We certainly take issues like this importantly, and as always are striving to have a facility that has as little downtime as possible.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 22 November 2003, 12:31 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers for the prompt reply Shaun.