Legacy GTB BH5...Advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2014, 08:48 AM
sukhrajchhokar
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Legacy GTB BH5...Advice!!

Hi all,

Looking to move from my STI V5...to a Legacy GTB! Long story why but anything major to look out for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-LEG...item3f321d1fd6

This is the one im looking at only thing I find odd is that it has 16 inch wheels
Old 14 March 2014, 09:13 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sukhrajchhokar
Hi all,

Looking to move from my STI V5...to a Legacy GTB! Long story why but anything major to look out for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-LEG...item3f321d1fd6

This is the one im looking at only thing I find odd is that it has 16 inch wheels
Yep, make sure the car has had regular oil changes and the owner knows something about the car.

Test drive one before buying as they have a flat spot known as the 'valley of death - VOD for short). These can be reduced but on some not well maintained cars the VOD is long and annoying.

Check for rust in arches, subframe, etc.

Come over to uklegacy.com

Once mapped you can get anywhere between 300-340bhp

Here's mine

Old 14 March 2014, 09:25 AM
sukhrajchhokar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaid
Yep, make sure the car has had regular oil changes and the owner knows something about the car.

Test drive one before buying as they have a flat spot known as the 'valley of death - VOD for short). These can be reduced but on some not well maintained cars the VOD is long and annoying.

Here's mine

I've done abit of research about the vod..apparently you can learn to live with it? What about the 16's are they a standard item..I've only ever seen them with 17's....
Old 14 March 2014, 09:39 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

17's are standard however you might find someone using 16's as a winter set.

I've got 18's he he

You can live with the vod or drive around it. Stay on the first turbo when being sensible and use the second to upset 'fast' car drivers
Old 14 March 2014, 10:16 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a BG5 for a few years, originally bought it as a winter replacement for my sti3 wagon, but it ended up taking over full time for a number of reasons..it's a Q car, virtually no one knows what they're capable of and it attracts very little attention, it's very comfortable to drive, and lots of interior space as a family car. Mostly impreza mechanicals so parts are readily available.
The VoD was quite obvious in our car, sometimes meant dropping two gears to overtake, on the plus side, once accelerating and up into 3rd and 4th, the acceleration is impressive, and probably quicker in that range than the sti3.

One thing I would look out for is to try to pick up one that already has a stainless exhaust from the cats back - the exhaust parts are expensive.

I'm hopefully going to be after one of the newer models shortly once I sell our rx8.
Old 14 March 2014, 11:45 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaid

Here's mine

ESL boards will get rid of the VOD. JGM and a number of other tuner/mappers can now fit and map from £250 + VAT .
Old 14 March 2014, 12:24 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

I had one for a while. Fantastic cars. So much character. Worn rear bushes can make the alignment go a bit woolly and tail happy when lifting off. I still miss mine.

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2014, 12:29 PM
Hurhur
Scooby Regular

My friend had one and it was lovely
Very quick and understated
When I'm a bit older legacy it will be for me
Not much help this comment but had to post :-)
Old 14 March 2014, 01:49 PM
sukhrajchhokar
Scooby Regular

How will it compare to my STI...
Old 14 March 2014, 01:58 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Not as quick. I went from a BH5 GTB straight into a PPP Widetrack STI. The STI is much more of a full on performance car, but I cant get my girlfriends dogs in the boot, or a mattress. I picked up a motorbike in boxes in the Legacy. If you reason you're looking to change is because you need to free up some cash and want something with a large load space, go for it. But dont pay over the odds. Mine was MINT (my mechanic, Scoobyspares at Fleetwood, and several others commented on how clean it was) and I only got £2000 when I sold it.
that one looks to be a good clean example in your Ebay ad.

MAKE SURE YOU UPGRADE THE BRAKES!!! The standard brake are woeful. 4pots at the very least. I went to 4pots with uprated discs and pads and I still would have liked more.
Old 14 March 2014, 03:24 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The performance and power delivery are very similar (even accounting for the twin versus single turbo setup) but the handling is quite different. The BH5 is a larger car with a long wheelbase. It lacks the pointy feel of the Impreza, the steering is lower-geared and it is much less fun on the twisties IMO, but as a daily driver and if you need the space it's a great option.
Old 14 March 2014, 03:30 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sukhrajchhokar
How will it compare to my STI...
Once mapped and on boost an Sti won't be leaving a TT Legacy for dead at all. The Legacy IS a different type of car compared to the Impreza however it is more than capable than showing a clean set of heels to anything less that an STi.

However the biggest bonuses is that the Legacy does not have the social stigma that the Impreza is plagued by.
Old 15 March 2014, 10:02 AM
sukhrajchhokar
Scooby Regular

It will not be just a GT will it? Cant see the blistein badge underneath on pictures..AFAIK with research I did all the Manuals were GTB's.....
Old 17 March 2014, 01:52 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

At that age most likely. I'm 99.99% certain that all BH5s were GTBs not GT. The GT was a BG5 model
Old 20 March 2014, 05:45 PM
sukhrajchhokar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
ESL boards will get rid of the VOD. JGM and a number of other tuner/mappers can now fit and map from £250 + VAT .

Im based in leicester so whats closest best place to get it mapped...I have bought one now (here she is https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...as-behind.html)

Dont feel much of a umph in higher gears at all Not sure its just because i dont get the aggression of the STI and im too used to that or just because its so smooth it dosnt feel fast..or maybe I got no boost on 2nd turbo...not sure how to check