Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza - a bad choice?

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2000, 12:05 AM
grief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're really worried, how about getting some 15" wheels, rebadging it as a sport/gl and getting a 5 door.

The only clue to give it away would be the double exhaust and lack of low ratio lever. Downside is that everyone would think you bought a sport and fitted a turbo intercooler scoop.
Old 20 January 2000, 12:10 AM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

we as a group are naturally more likely to pick up stories involving Imps. The most popular cars to steal are still Novas and the like, with the Toyota Carina actually being top of the 'most stolen cars' list. Bizarre or what?

You're more likely to lose your car to pro thieves, less likely to amateur scum. Its that group that make up the lions share of thefts as well....
Old 20 January 2000, 12:13 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

A few points:

Its only going to be the Scoobies involved in crime that make the news (WRC cars
excepted). An Impreza locked away in your garage, and still being there the following day is not going to make the papers!

Just take every precaution you can. Garage it overnight. Fit a disklock or something similar. Always be very warey of where you park. Get Tracker (or similar) fitted. Just make it as hard as possible for the thief.

My personal view is that I refuse to let criminals dictate my way of life. Why should I be unhappy driving a crappy low performance car?

Paul L
Old 20 January 2000, 10:19 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

I have ordered an Impreza. I expect delivery in March. I did load of research when deciding on which car to get next. The Impreza Turbo seemed to have it all, handling, control, feedback, reliability and good residuals. Okay there are better looking cars and certainly more economic cars. But I happily placed my order,
I am now beginning to wonder. I understand they are the number 1 choice for robbers and ram raiders. I hear stories of houses being broken into and owners threatened with violence if they do not hand over there keys.
Have I made a big mistake?
Old 20 January 2000, 10:35 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Although there are a number of scare stories going around, I think the actual number of incidents is very low. In my year of impreza ownership, the car never attracted any of the wrong attention. I would be more concerned of residual value on a new car, than being broken into a beaten up for the keys.
Old 20 January 2000, 10:58 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The problem is, as with most other stories, these things have happened during a quiet period, so have been blown out of all proportion by the snoozpapers, i have heard of about 4 cases, only one where somebody was actually hurt over it, as far as i remember.
Old 20 January 2000, 11:10 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

More chance of being struck by lightning.

Just take the normal precautions.....park in a well lit area.....keep an eye out for people following the car for the last 5 miles of your journey, CAT1 alarm etc etc....

Enjoy it !!!!!

Old 20 January 2000, 11:17 AM
robman
Scooby Regular

Doesn't help when magazines run features about "the best getaway car" and then headline it on the front cover showing the Impreza as the winner :-(
Old 20 January 2000, 11:20 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I have been driving Impreza Turbo's for 5 years now & have never had a problem - never broken into or nicked, never vandalised, nothing.
If you dont get a car for the above reasons you are giving into the thugs.
I bet any £20k plus car is a target - so whats the solution - we all drive round in D reg Fiestas - no way.

Ro
Old 20 January 2000, 11:20 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

No, I have heard about that, typical of the mag involved though

I have received some info on barrier deadlock, which locks the car in reverse, costs about 150 quid fitted (i think) and is Thatcham approved, i think that may be the next addition to the car.
Old 20 January 2000, 11:26 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Barrier I thought is about 220 plus vat fitted. The guys there are currently going round the country training mechanics on how to fit these devices. Subaru dealers, I understand, are one of the main garages targeted by the guys at Barrier.
Old 20 January 2000, 03:12 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ian + others

1) The Barrier Deadlock is excellent.
Scooby cost is £195+VAT fitted by manufacturers (Vehicle Security Installations, Liverpool - wonder why it was invented there? hmm . . . .)
2) Very few dealers can fit 'em (expect to pay ~£100 more)
3) They've tried to get IM interested but no joy (what BIG suprise huh?)
4) Suggested to Ian Platt that they run a banner ad (more income for Scoobynet Ian!), give him a bell?
5) Read this:
Old 20 January 2000, 03:16 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

We are already in discussion with VSL thats why i have the details here

They will go to dealers and fit it on their premises too, I know several people that now have them

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 20-01-2000).]
Old 20 January 2000, 09:26 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Back on the original question, I believe the number one choice for robbers is houses and/or banks, number one choice for ram raiders is off licences and corner shops. I have heard of houses being broken into and the owners being threatened because they have nice furniture or paintings.

If we the decent (only when I have to be) element of society are going to be wagged by the tail of the dog we might as well all throw it in now.

Let's face it if you believed everything you read/saw on TV/heard on radio, you would never set foot outside your house for fear of stepping on a syringe or being accosted by some pissed/drugged up member. It just doesn't happen that way.

So if you feel you must, scrap the Subaru order and take the bus, I'm sure it is much safer and there are far less opportunities to be accosted etc.

I will continue to take my chances.
Old 20 January 2000, 10:34 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a Barrier Deadlock - £268 fitted from Scoob dealer. Excellent bit of kit and very discreet, basically just a key whole in the passenger side of your transmission tunnel.

I am a little paranoid (perhaps) about theft, but if you have a CAT 1 alarm, steering wheel lock (Disklok is good) and may be a Barrier Deadlock then you are probably discounting most drive away theft which leaves your only risk as tow away theft, perhaps to do a Bank job.

In the short time I have had my Scoob almost everyone I pass on the road be they cars or pedestrians has had a good stare. I wouldn't want that if I were a crook.

Scoob is too conspicuous, and that is a good thing providing you are secured against drive away theft.

Get one.

Ed

[This message has been edited by EdwardH (edited 20-01-2000).]
Old 20 January 2000, 10:58 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Arrow

brooks,

These guys have said it all. Be a bit sensible and you ought to be OK. When I first got the Impreza I was really paranoid about theft. Now I'm more relaxed, though I'm not complacent and I always try to keep my wits about me. This is not to belittle the awful experiences of the members of this BBS that have had their car nicked or their house broken into, but that really is pretty rare.

I think Scoobies are too high profile now for the bank robber fraternity anyway.

Now go back to the threads about the incomparable joys of Impreza ownership .

David

Old 21 January 2000, 08:26 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

DavidG

How did you do that smiley.....its COOL !!

Ro (small things please small minds)
Old 21 January 2000, 10:13 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

The car park for the office where I work is a barriered-off section of a public car park. I often park my Scooby there, along with the Porsches, BMWs, Audis, the odd Jag and various other expensive & not so expensive cars.

In three years, only one car has been stolen from there. Which one? A Mini Metro that belonged to one of the secretaries, stolen for a ram-raid and driven straight through the barriers.

Just take sensible precautions and you'll stop the opportunists. As has been pointed out, if a professional *really* wants your car, then they'll have it anyway.
Old 21 January 2000, 11:07 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Arrow

jjones - you are speaking from experience so all this must seem complacent to you. However, I don't think I'm complacent: I take reasonable care and am always mindful of where and how I leave my car. My point was that I'm less paranoid than when I first got the car and that brooks shouldn't let the fear of theft stop him from getting a scooby.

Ro, to insert an image you use the tags "[img]" "[/img]" and between them you put the url of the image you want to insert. This could be a photo or, in the case of the smileys, a .gif file. A good source of cool smileys including the one above is
Old 21 January 2000, 12:36 PM
Harry
Scooby Regular

Dear Brooks,
Had my brand new jap import for 3 months now and had so much fun don't care if it gets stolen ???
IT'S WORTH IT
Old 21 January 2000, 12:45 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Davig G
Harry

You are both very complacent - my MY97 was totally ignored for 2.5 years of ownership and then burgled (I use that term as the garage is connected to my house and in the very unlike event that the scum are caught they should get the stiffer sentence of aggrevated burglary than if for car theft itself).

Edward H
"Scoob is too conspicuous, and that is a good thing providing you are secured against drive away theft" - my car was locked in a garage with a security post preventing the garage door being opened yet it was still stolen.
Old 21 January 2000, 10:45 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

jjones,

My only likely risk is tow/push away, once past alarm/immobiliser/barrier deadlock /Disklok. The probability of this is much smaller, but I acknowledge could occur.

Your situation could happen to me, albeit that they would have to disarm the car, in the open, on my drive.

I think there is a lot that can be done to minimise the risk of our Scoobs being taken, but there is no perfect solution.

A fair barometer of the situation is the fact that most people can still insure a scoob for a reasonable price. If they were wholly bad news then the insurers and their quantitative techniques would be first make it clear.

Actually your expereience (Thieving XXXX...) cemented my resolve to get the Barrier Deadlock fitted, so I am not discounting your experience.

Interestingly most Scoobs I see around London appear to have no additional security at all.

Ed