Sponsored by:

Does anyone know this sti?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2014, 11:55 AM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone know this sti?

Hi, I've been searching for a scoobie for a while now and after getting knocked back for a personal loan I have been limited to dealers that offer finance which is by no means easy. I found a decent looking sti for sale in Lancashire from a dealer but the guys there no nothing of the mods its had done and by the looks of it its had a few engine mods, exhaust and FMIC noticeable from pics. I live over 300 miles away from this so wouldn't want to travel miles to be disappointed.
If anyone knows anything about this car I would greatly appreciate any info.

Link to website.
http://www.rwashton.co.uk/used-cars/...01402181887135

Cheers.

Last edited by LukeyB; 05 March 2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:02 PM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What makes you think it's got a front mount?
Old 05 March 2014, 02:03 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Beware an influx of people who'll heap the world's problems on people who take out finance on cars!

Joking aside, do make sure you can afford the finance as well as the maintenance and servicing of one of these things. With high performance motoring comes high performance costs.

I don't know the dealer in question but it does look like the car has had some work done. Might be best to enquire and find out who did the work and when. We can always advise.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:10 PM
dazsti72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spender(again)
Agreed unless one is behind that front grill.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:15 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spender(again)
Well I suppose it could be a silver zunsport grille. Now I'm looking at it again I may be wrong.
Regarding finance. I make 500 a month surplus to all my living costs. I have no commute so the car would be purely for the weekends. I have budgeted £200 a month max repayments which leaves £300 for running the car. I can't see myself doing more than 4000 miles a year. Plus I have a few trips offshore planned this year which will help pay off the finance early.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:17 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that 100% a front mount, there should be a black bar under the no. plate. its been cut out for the fmic.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:19 PM
dazsti72
Scooby Regular

If you can do most of the service work on it your self it should work out mate.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:21 PM
dazsti72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
that 100% a front mount, there should be a black bar under the no. plate. its been cut out for the fmic.
That's a wr1 style grill that covers the black bar your talking about.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:21 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

There is another one I have been looking at. Its less miles but more expensive. What would you guys recommend.

http://www.fjchalke.co.uk/Used-Car-D...3130002319417&
Old 05 March 2014, 02:22 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

agreed and you can see where the front mount ends and the 'Zunsport' grill continues on the passenger side.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:23 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

£300 quid a month to run an impreza.............good luck with that if that includes tax insurance and servicing and fuel.

personally id say you cant afford especially given the fact your buying it on finance in the first place.

make no mistake these cars are stupidly expensive to run and maintain.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:26 PM
Matt_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking at the adverts alone, I'd say the blue one. There are more photos, it looks like a clean example and looks unmolested.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:30 PM
dazsti72
Scooby Regular

I would much prefer the blue one it looks much straighter but it up to what you can afford in the end..
Old 05 March 2014, 02:43 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

£300 quid a month to run an impreza.............good luck with that if that includes tax insurance and servicing and fuel.

personally id say you cant afford especially given the fact your buying it on finance in the first place.

I've got £2000 on top of the deposit saved up for insurance and tax plus its first service. Pay it off in one so all I have to worry about is fuel and maintenance.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:45 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

The blue one would be my preferred choice but the price difference levels the playing field. Plus its at the opposite end of the country.
Old 05 March 2014, 02:51 PM
palma0778
Scooby Regular

Perfect said
Old 05 March 2014, 03:02 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by palma0778
Perfect said
You can only warn them.
300 spare income to run an 10 year old impreza.
Plain stupid IMHO it will need new parts at that age.
Old 05 March 2014, 03:10 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

You can only warn them.
300 spare income to run an 10 year old impreza.
Plain stupid IMHO it will need new parts at that age.
I understand they are expensive to run but are you legitimately saying you would spend nearly £4000 a year on top of tax and insurance just to run the car for a few hundred miles a month? I have no intention of tracking or abusing this car, I have wanted one since I was 16 so when I finally get one it will be treated like a baby.
Old 05 March 2014, 03:17 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I use mine only at weekend and its garaged 6 months a year, believe me 300 quid will not run one of these a month

Last edited by **jay**; 05 March 2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05 March 2014, 03:18 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Remember you will be lucky to see 200 miles to a tank
Old 05 March 2014, 03:20 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

lol.... I run mine as a daily driver and spend £120 a week on fuel.....

M...MM..M...MMMMMm Mad I tell you....
Old 05 March 2014, 03:25 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

Just to clear up the Front mount / grille argument, just got the pics I asked for.
Old 05 March 2014, 03:27 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

That car has been up for sale at 3 different garages over the past couple of months,please proceed with caution my friend

It may be totally innocent and the garages may well just trade stock 100% genuine reasons or it may well be a total mutt!I looked at the ad for the same car at a different garage just after xmas

Marcus
Old 05 March 2014, 03:31 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Subarus are not that expensive to run when everything is working as it should,but that's the rub right there as usually when things go wrong it's not a cheap fix,but I have had my car for over ten years and nothing really went wrong with it except a slipping clutch,but you seem to have your head on as your looking at the 2.0 and not the 2.5If you think you can afford one go for it there superb cars,but I would advise you to try and save the money and buy a good example from a Subaru enthusiasts or a reputable dealer.SJ.
Old 05 March 2014, 03:33 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

£300 every 1000 miles in fuel alone. My first (small) service on a widetrack was £600 and there was nothing major wrong, any problems and you are up **** creek. Tyres brakes and a load of other stuff every 10k, decent oil and a filter can cost more than a regular service on an ordinary car. I am running mine for less than £300 a month, but you need a bit put by if things go wrong.

I would honestly never buy another car on finance. I did when I was in my late teens, but never again. Took a good few years driving sheds to get the finances in order though!
Old 05 March 2014, 03:34 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
That car has been up for sale at 3 different garages over the past couple of months,please proceed with caution my friend

It may be totally innocent and the garages may well just trade stock 100% genuine reasons or it may well be a total mutt!I looked at the ad for the same car at a different garage just after xmas

Marcus
Noted.
There is little to no information on the website so I have asked for them to look through its files to establish exactly what has been fitted and by who.. If they can't tell me then I'll leave it.
Old 05 March 2014, 03:45 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by LukeyB
I understand they are expensive to run but are you legitimately saying you would spend nearly £4000 a year on top of tax and insurance just to run the car for a few hundred miles a month? I have no intention of tracking or abusing this car, I have wanted one since I was 16 so when I finally get one it will be treated like a baby.
ok

right firstly the car only uses premium 99 ron fuel and you will get around 70 miles to £20 on an sti.

those cars are coming up to major service intervals involving cambelts and clutches.

the fact you are borrowing the money to pay for it indicates you dont have anything to fix it with if it goes wrong and it will its a ten year old car and when it does it wont be a fiesta price to fix.

front brembo brake pads at least £100, one tyre the same. tax £150 for six months and so on.

its your money but unlike you i have many years of impreza ownership experience to tell you the running costs.

so your £300 a month is nowhere near enough. lets say you do 140 miles a week thats £40 of fuel x 4 = £160 so that leaves you £140 to service fix etc..... oh and once you put your foot down which is the point of these cars you will be seeing much less than 70 miles to £20

Last edited by tubbytommy; 05 March 2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05 March 2014, 03:47 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Subarus are not that expensive to run when everything is working as it should,but that's the rub right there as usually when things go wrong it's not a cheap fix,but I have had my car for over ten years and nothing really went wrong with it except a slipping clutch,but you seem to have your head on as your looking at the 2.0 and not the 2.5If you think you can afford one go for it there superb cars,but I would advise you to try and save the money and buy a good example from a Subaru enthusiasts or a reputable dealer.SJ.
Yeah I would rather steer clear of a hawkeye unless it had already been forged. Widetrack blobs I believe will be the most reliable sti's due to them being the most advanced version of the 2.0L engine.
I would love to save up and buy one outright but my current car has been having problem after problem lately and now there is a potential gearbox issue and all of these things are digging into my Subaru savings.
I know everyone says "oh you should avoid finance, just save up and buy one" but if everyone did that how would anyone under 25 afford anything half decent without having rich parents?
Falling back to the affordability argument, I have 2 confirmed trips offshore this year and a good potential for more which will pocket me around a grand after tax each trip. To be honest I'm just sick of waiting and the amount of people younger than me with much less income driving around in there 12k vxr's or whatever crap they have whilst I just sit at home bored all day everyday trying to save my pennies.
Old 05 March 2014, 03:58 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Hope you did not think i was being cheeky mate, was just a friendly warning to what they cost, they can be very reliable if treated right but when they go wrong they cost a fortune.
just make sure you buy with your heart and not with your eyes, ie make sure its a well looked after example and not one that someone has offloaded because of problems, if your getting one on finance make sure you get some kind of warranty with it.
best of luck.
Old 05 March 2014, 03:59 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

I can relate to that feelingwhen I was in my twenties,if you want to finance to get a car in the present time go for it what ever makes you happy matejust make sure your money is worked out right,or it could all end in tears.SJ.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know this sti?